Hope to hear your flight reports _
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 05:12 PM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
653 Posts
I just bought one from SMC myself, anxiously awaiting it's arrival in the mail!
Vic Arcudi is offline Find More Posts by Vic Arcudi
Old May 11, 2011, 05:23 PM
Stansted UK
Joined May 2007
132 Posts
Hello Vic,

Let us know how you get on. The package is not large and the contents appear to be well packed inside, it should make the journey OK from the UK to Italy. You will not have any problems with Sussex Model Centre, they are a very helpful if items are damaged in the post. I am sure that will not happen. I bought a number of planes from them in the past.

Found this on the SMC web site, the add says it all........

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=35107

Charlie
chuckf is offline Find More Posts by chuckf
Last edited by chuckf; May 11, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 06:00 PM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
653 Posts
Will do, Charlie! I've been a customer of SMC's for donkey's years now and never had any issues at all. They've always been as good as their word. I just hope this bird flies as good as it looks, already got a few battery packs & a scale pilot for the office + a servo slow for the gear. So I can give it a good wringing & let you guys know the results.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:28 AM
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined Oct 2008
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter1 View Post
I don't know who is carrying ST models in US but
I am sure Nitroplanes carries FMS models and there
will be an FMS 190A around soon :-)

Soon... Word makes me always think of that line from the flick "Moneypit" where the builders kept chirping "two weeks, two weeks..

There hasn't really been and significant word that I'm aware of since the prototype test shot photos on March 8.

In the USA Tower Hobbies often carries RipMax or ST Models products. Perhaps they'll get this one in too. Why not write and ask them?
-Rittmeister- is offline Find More Posts by -Rittmeister-
Old May 13, 2011, 03:06 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,777 Posts
The detail is incredible , would love to get one in the states
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old May 13, 2011, 07:29 AM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
653 Posts
Finally got it! I put the whole thing together in about 20 mins.! First I discarded the y lead that connects the flap & retract servo (now it's each channel to it's own). When assembling the prop/cooling fan I airbrushed the fan in Testors metalizer titanium & buffed it good. Everything else went together like clockwork.
The only issue with this model is that it has a very tight battery access hatch & it was designed for old kokam style square packs, thank God I still have 2 old 2000mah 3s lipos! Installation of a normal style pack entails surgery within the cowl.
The motor has bags of power, even at half throttle it pulls like a train! Now for some nice weathering.
Old May 13, 2011, 07:55 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Vic, We'll need some pics after your weathering job! TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old May 13, 2011, 11:40 AM
Stansted UK
Joined May 2007
132 Posts
I found the battery compartment accepts my 3s 2200mah lipos nicely, it looks tight but the batteries go in easy. I like the battery hatch design, it's done neatly with a plastic catch and velcro strap to secure the battery.

I am going to try and make a pilot with legs and arms using a balsa frame work and covering him in something like paper mache that I can work and texture. The office is rendered really nicely in this model and deserves a good pilot. Does anyone know where I can get a detailed German pilot?

I intend to paint the pilot seat cusion and head rest a brown leather colour. I think the top of the glare shield over the panel should be dark grey or black with a brown leather trim on the edge of the glare shield. My canopy needs a little touching up with grey paint, I will screw mine on, using a little foam-safe CA on the foam so it can take the screws. I like the fact that the canopy already has self-adhesive tape to stick it to the fus.

I will be putting my watt meter in to use shortly.

Charlie
Last edited by chuckf; May 13, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:29 PM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckf View Post
I found the battery compartment accepts my 3s 2200mah lipos nicely, it looks tight but the batteries go in easy. I like the battery hatch design, it's done neatly with a plastic catch and velcro strap to secure the battery.

I am going to try and make a pilot with legs and arms using a balsa frame work and covering him in something like paper mache that I can work and texture. The office is rendered really nicely in this model and deserves a good pilot. Does anyone know where I can get a detailed German pilot?

I intend to paint the pilot seat cusion and head rest a brown leather colour. I think the top of the glare shield over the panel should be dark grey or black with a brown leather trim on the edge of the glare shield. My canopy needs a little touching up with grey paint, I will screw mine on, using a little foam-safe CA on the foam so it can take the screws. I like the fact that the canopy already has self-adhesive tape to stick it to the fus.

I will be putting my watt meter in to use shortly.

Charlie
Charlie, have you tried Pete's Pilots? http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Petes-Pilots
Old May 14, 2011, 02:20 AM
Stansted UK
Joined May 2007
132 Posts
A few shots of the business end........

Just a few more photos to show the battery compartment. The battery installed is a Turnigy 3s 2200mah Lipo. The hatch is finished very neatly and is very secure. The velcro retaining strip is a little on the short side on my model.

Charlie
Old May 15, 2011, 09:51 AM
Stansted UK
Joined May 2007
132 Posts
The Butcher Bird has been "Butchered!"

I thought I would re-paint my FW190. I am not that keen on the grey camo scheme out of the box.

Pulling off the decals removed all of the paint underneath them and turned my project into a large task.

While watching Eurovision Song Contest, I began the process of removing paint with sellotape, (a very time consuming task). I have painted the undersides of my wing and stabilizer with Tamiya light blue paint and will be making my own custom paper decals. I enjoyed pulling off paint more than I enjoyed watching Eurovision!

Some clear acrylic gloss varnish will be painted onto the fuselage in order to prepare the surface for painting. The gloss varnish will sand nicely, (I hope).

I am now looking for a colour scheme for my warbird.

I have had to modify my battery compartment in order to lay my battery flat, I just scooped out some foam. The battery sits very close to the servos, not ideal!

The canopy has awful grey sticky tape on the frame, a factory shortcut to avoid painting the canopy frame and edges. I pulled this tape off and cleaned the adhesive residue with isopropyl alcohol. The canopy has some nice scale details winch were hidden under the grey tape.

I have added a carbon rod to the tail feathers to stiffen the vertical stabilizer.

Charlie
Old May 15, 2011, 10:00 AM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
653 Posts
Charlie, have you considered using WBPU & lightweight modelspan for your model, it'd definitely get rid of any hint of crocodile skin! As for mine, I'm busy airbrushing swastikas on the tail. What peeves me a bit is that manufacturers don't even contemplate including swastika decals for scale German WWII fighters, no need to stick 'em on if you don't want them! Thing is, if you want a model that's historically correct, they should be included. So far the only manufacturer who's done something like that is Parkzone for their BF-109, and even then you have to order them aside!
Last edited by Vic Arcudi; May 15, 2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:12 AM
Stansted UK
Joined May 2007
132 Posts
WBPU & lightweight modelspan............

Hi Vic,

I will do some research on the modelspan, sounds interesting.

Are you re-painting your plane completely?, if so I would like to see the results

Charlie
Old May 15, 2011, 10:29 AM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
653 Posts
Nah, just some weathering & a couple swastikas. The other day (fri 13th) I had a small "accident" (my fault entirely). I'd just finished installing the correct style battery pack in the model. Whilst holding it by the wing root decided to test the motor, intending to just give it a small burst of power (bad decision). The motor started up at full blast & the prop promptly chewed into my forearm, result: a quick visit to the ER & funny red paint everywhere! lol
15 stitches afterward I checked the TX & found I had a different model memory dialled in! So the throttle was reversed - lesson learnt.