HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by AeroVideoUS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:03 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,678 Posts
Discussion
Hoverfly x468 Nearly Ready

So I've mounted the motors, escs, rx, power filter and got all the setup finished on the Hoverfly x468 Frame. I haven't yet mounted my GoPro on it but I'm getting close.

I came across a drawback to the x468 design... The tray that I'm supposed to strap my battery to doesn't sit low enough and the length of my battery is limited by the upper cross members in the landing gear, doah! So far that limits me to my 3000mah batteries and my 4000 and 5000 batteries are to long.

This may end up as a non issue as I think I want to put in another center plate below the battery tray suspended by my rubber vibration mounts I've used on my other quads. This allows me to put a battery on the center plate and also attach my GoPro to it. With the extra mass of the battery along with the rubber vibration mounts it gives me a lot better video.

I've not tried video from the supplied GoPro mount yet but the rubber bushings used to isolate the tubes from vibration were REALLY tight and stiff. I fear that a lot of vibration is going to be transferred through them. But I'll do a test flight this evening to see how it goes.

Here's a top down front view:

Straight on front view:

Side view showing a 2200mah battery barely fitting:

Rear end:

I'm using RCTimer 2836/11 750kv motors, RCTimer 30amp escs, APC 12x3.8 props. For now I'm using my Dx8 and AR8000 setup for control but I have a ChainLink UHF LRS on order so I don't have to worry about the control link nearly as much while flying FPV.

I did do a quick test flight at about 11pm last night and it flew nicely! Next up is to mount the GoPro and see how well the stock vibration isolation works.

The last bits I'll add will be my FPV gear. Hopefully I'll be posting flight videos soon!
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
to remove ads between posts