HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by T3chDad, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:00 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,929 Posts
Cool
Su-37 Re-do...

Let’s review....

I built one of these almost three years ago. It was totaled in November of last year after a mid-air collision with a 3D foamy. I had to build a new one! I tried to make this one better than its predecessor and I think I succeeded on most counts. There is much more detailing on this one and I attempted several new techniques with good results. I tried to exaggerate some of the appearances like larger decals, more pronounced panel lines and more contrast in the paint scheme. She has the same power plant as the first one and controls are ailerons, elevons and rudder. I tried my best to hide all the linkages for the control surfaces so you wouldn’t immediately notice them (the rudders were a challenge). She flies quite different from the original. Not better or worse...just different. I think she flies more like the real thing might fly. After five flights I’m starting to get a feel for her. I know this jet is capable of more, so this won’t be the last you hear from me.

The video was compiled from two flights yesterday (flights four and five of the plane). I hope you enjoy it...it’s meant to be funny...I don’t take myself that seriously. I do have pictures of the entire build, so if anyone has any questions, I’ll be happy to try and help.

Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?p=18204868

Project Phoenix (Yellow 13 Mission 3) (4 min 45 sec)
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by T3chDad; May 13, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 07:31 AM
Someone is going to get wet...
The Mitt
Joined Oct 2007
1,003 Posts
Great Job!!!! Good Flying!!! I have the plans for this one but have not got around to building it yet. I built a Tomhe designed SU-37 to start with and modified it with functional canards and rudders. Maybe a good winter project... Mudman1959
mudman1959 is offline Find More Posts by mudman1959
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The N9M-B "Kraken" Update:...
Old May 13, 2011, 08:14 AM
Stubacca
Garland, TX
Joined Aug 2009
472 Posts
Best looking SU-37 hands down

I'm 33 years old and I grew up playing the heck out of a Sony PS2 and by far AceCombat was my favorite game. You should see the AceCombat coming soon to the PS3, it looks amazing!!! Anyways "Yellow 13" has always been one of my favorite color schemes and you re-produced it flawlessly. Great Job!!!! I've been teetering on building a profile foamy and was leaning towards the classic design but after seeing this I've got to go with the more fleshed out version as you did. Can't wait to see more videos, thank you for taking so many pictures of your build for followers "like me" to use.

Stu
stughagen78 is online now Find More Posts by stughagen78
Old May 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
Culver City, Ca
Joined Mar 2009
102 Posts
Dude-a-rooski!!!! That is stunning! Very nice job!!! The panel lines and the other detailing... you should feel very pleased.

That one picture, near the river, with the shadow on the ground... I am thinking new wallpaper for my monitor!!!! People, when I tell them it is a model are going to ask how was the shadow on the ground made, so can you help me out here??

I haven't watched the video yet, I was just so impressed with the pictures. Now to the video.

Fox7

Edit:
Wow, the video was quite the production also!! I hope you installed the avoidance radar in this one!!!
Fox7 is offline Find More Posts by Fox7
Last edited by Fox7; May 18, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:03 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,929 Posts
I'm glad everyone likes it. Thank you all for the compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox7 View Post
That one picture, near the river, with the shadow on the ground... I am thinking new wallpaper for my monitor!!!! People, when I tell them it is a model are going to ask how was the shadow on the ground made, so can you help me out here??
Ok, there's this thing out in space called the "Sun". It's really bright and when it's not being obscured by clouds or something else, its bright light will cause an object to cast a shadow. Note this can be accomplished with other light-generating objects such as a light bulb.

Just kidding...

Here's the REAL short version.
1) Take the top-down view from a three-view or other source of the aircraft and cut it out.
2) Fill it in black.
3) Rotate it so it so it's got the proper orientation.
4) Squish it so it's shorter (re-size one dimension).
5) Re-size it so it has the proper proportions for the look you're going for.
6) Paste it in the picture with a little bit of transparency so that that some of the background is visible through the shadow.
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old May 18, 2011, 06:01 PM
Culver City, Ca
Joined Mar 2009
102 Posts
Thanks!!
I really like that picture!! It really looks real!!!

Fox7
Fox7 is offline Find More Posts by Fox7