HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,014 Posts
That is the great part of this hobby, so many options.

Electra is doing GREAT!!! I have it down to landing in under 200 feet so I can use my local field and getting a lot of quality stick time. By far my favorite plane!!!

Let me know if there any local events coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack G Diaz View Post
Shawn,

I guess it is a matter of personal taste, but i find fiddling with continous flaps too hard. I much rather have just 3 positions and stick with them. No guess work and one less variable to focus on during landing.

I know people that come from a glider background find this very natural (hey, that is basically their throttle), but for me, I rather focus on something else

One last thing I like about the 3 positions only is that you really know your plane in each configuration. You learn to predict stalls, have your elevator mix perfectly set up etc

but again, matter of taste

How is your electra doing?

Later
Jack
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,235 Posts
Talked Jose yesterday at LFE's warbird meet and he is hosting the Kingdon Air Park jet rally on nov 2-3-4th in Lodi

hoping to make it out there, Jose is a great guy and it will be nice and cool
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:42 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
Thanks for all your help! Thanks to this build thread my Electra has a lot of great features so thanks Jack F. I got the Electra up yesterday and put it away in one piece six flights later. Thanks especially to Jack Diaz for coming out and going over the setup and moral/professional support for the maiden. What can I say? The Electra is a great plane, wonderful flying qualities, pretty special actually. That was a great day at the field!
Glad to hear you had a good day! One of the great things about BVM is all the support they have from field reps who know the planes so well and are all over the world. It makes it a lot easier having someone standing next to you or even maiden it for you (like I still do!), you are going to love this plane!

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:51 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Apr 2005
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
Thanks for all your help! Thanks to this build thread my Electra has a lot of great features so thanks Jack F. I got the Electra up yesterday and put it away in one piece six flights later. Thanks especially to Jack Diaz for coming out and going over the setup and moral/professional support for the maiden. What can I say? The Electra is a great plane, wonderful flying qualities, pretty special actually. That was a great day at the field!
It was my pleasure to help you. And it was a fun day at the field. I guess we logged about 12 electra flights between yours and mine

You did a really good job with the build...no surprises or anything

Guys, Eric flew that Electra like it was his 100th flight on it. No issues whatsoever. And landings were perfect... using probably 200 feet of runway at the most

And one thing that really surprised me were the gen ace´s batteries. Solid performance, 5 minutes flights with 30% capacity left. I wasn´t expecting them to be any good...

Congrats on the maiden Eric, hope you get to enjoy it as much as I do mine

Jack
Jack G Diaz is offline Find More Posts by Jack G Diaz
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack G Diaz View Post
It was my pleasure to help you. And it was a fun day at the field. I guess we logged about 12 electra flights between yours and mine

You did a really good job with the build...no surprises or anything

Guys, Eric flew that Electra like it was his 100th flight on it. No issues whatsoever. And landings were perfect... using probably 200 feet of runway at the most

And one thing that really surprised me were the gen ace´s batteries. Solid performance, 5 minutes flights with 30% capacity left. I wasn´t expecting them to be any good...

Congrats on the maiden Eric, hope you get to enjoy it as much as I do mine

Jack
Jack have a look at Neu energy 8300's for your electra same weight as the 6600 TP packs.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:44 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
I believe the Neu 6200 packs are the same weight as the GensAce 5500. So i could use them or if I went for the Neu 8300's then I would need a little nose weight. Steve is mounting them on either side of the fan also, same as the GensAce in mine. I have both of my Rx packs all the way up front for balance but no nose weight. It will be interesting to see how the GensAce hold up.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Anyone interested in going fast might like this. Yesterday, Rob Lynch smoked his BVM Electra in a speed run @ WattFest with a pass of 241.3 MPH! It was fast as crap and sounded unbelievable! The speed was measured via GPS telemetry relayed to a Spektrum DX18, from a split-S (at altitude) with a 15 - 18 MPH tail wind. Yes, it was a dive and yes, there was a tail wind but this is the fastest EDF speed run I've ever witnessed, it was impressive to say the least!

BVM Electra (standard gear doors)
12S Thunder Power 65C 6,600 mAh
BVM EVF~2 "R" Fan

Jack
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:46 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,906 Posts
Video???
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:50 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
Video???
Not by me, I am hoping someone has it (I am watching the WattFest forum)...

Jack
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:33 PM
SHINDENBOY
ATHENS
Joined Feb 2007
138 Posts
HMMM something is here!!!woow very fast!!!

BVM Electra doing 241 mph (4 min 3 sec)
argyris is offline Find More Posts by argyris
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,855 Posts
Jack sorry i missed you guys. Looks like it was fun!

Real busy coaching kids football team and also don't really have anything electric anymore accept a habu anyway. I hope to get the electra kit version sometime after Christmas.

Was hoping to see you guys down their for Pablos event but its canceled.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:22 PM
SHINDENBOY
ATHENS
Joined Feb 2007
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Anyone interested in going fast might like this. Yesterday, Rob Lynch smoked his BVM Electra in a speed run @ WattFest with a pass of 241.3 MPH! It was fast as crap and sounded unbelievable! The speed was measured via GPS telemetry relayed to a Spektrum DX18, from a split-S (at altitude) with a 15 - 18 MPH tail wind. Yes, it was a dive and yes, there was a tail wind but this is the fastest EDF speed run I've ever witnessed, it was impressive to say the least!

BVM Electra (standard gear doors)
12S Thunder Power 65C 6,600 mAh
BVM EVF~2 "R" Fan

Jack
BVM EVF~2 "R" Fan what is the ''R''?
argyris is offline Find More Posts by argyris
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:59 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
Jack sorry i missed you guys. Looks like it was fun!

Real busy coaching kids football team and also don't really have anything electric anymore accept a habu anyway. I hope to get the electra kit version sometime after Christmas.

Was hoping to see you guys down their for Pablos event but its canceled.
Hey Gun! I asked Rob about calling you but he said you knew about it but had nothing electric (though you could have brought the Habu, and we would have had a blast with it, I was flying the heck out of my Habu 2!). Yeah, it was a great event for sure...

Jack
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argyris View Post
HMMM something is here!!!woow very fast!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElHGBlPJW7I
Nice job! You found it (with a lot of wind noise but that's it!)...

Jack
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argyris View Post
BVM EVF~2 "R" Fan what is the ''R''?
The "R" stands for "Race" fan, BV has a few of these up his sleeve that he uses for testing and other stuff, Rob has had it in his Electra for about 2 years now (I think)...

Jack