HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:52 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,270 Posts
flight mode or conditions select allows you to trim flight surfaces idependently in each flight mode or condition select I feel the real beauty is being able to retrim the elevator during landing phase based on the current wind conditions

flap to elevator mixes are archaic and a thing of the past when you have flight mode or condition select

but some are mixing 1 elevator to the other instead of using the grouping function:-):-)
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Sep 12, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Apr 2005
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
I just read the manual about the Flight mode switch being used for flaps. I am not going to use that feature.

Eric, don't dismiss it so quickly... it is possibly the best function available in the radio.

As others have said, it enables multiple things, but to me the most important is to have independent trims for each flap configuration. That is true for elevators and it is also true for ailerons (at least for me).

Also, I have the gyro (on planes equiped with it) change rates at each flap setting

Up to you, but I would seriously recommend it

Maiden coming soon!!!!!!

later
Jack
Jack G Diaz is offline Find More Posts by Jack G Diaz
Last edited by Jack G Diaz; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Apr 2005
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
Instead of flight modes I use the left slider to dial-in the flaps on my planes. It lets me pick the right amount while in flight and I don't need to grab a switch. If I'm coming in to hot or slow I can make fine adjustments easily.

Like everyone else says, in your radio slow down the deploy (down) side of the flaps (I have mine close to 3 seconds) and deploy them when flying slow and you won't get any pitching up.

And like everyone else, I refused to believe how slow the the Electra will go. In fact I refused to fly at my normal field (400 feet) because I thought I needed more room. But I found out last weekend, 400 feet is more than enough.

My suggestion on the maiden would be to take it up fairly high, point it into the wind, deploy the flaps and turn off the motor. Let it slow down until it stalls and you will see how slow it will go.

Stalls are uneventful, slow, predicable and always straight forward, no wing dips.

Good luck!!
Shawn,

I guess it is a matter of personal taste, but i find fiddling with continous flaps too hard. I much rather have just 3 positions and stick with them. No guess work and one less variable to focus on during landing.

I know people that come from a glider background find this very natural (hey, that is basically their throttle), but for me, I rather focus on something else

One last thing I like about the 3 positions only is that you really know your plane in each configuration. You learn to predict stalls, have your elevator mix perfectly set up etc

but again, matter of taste

How is your electra doing?

Later
Jack
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
I can see that it is a cool feature but what I don't get is I like to use high and low rates even clean, on my Habu normal acrobatics control rates become way too sensitive at high speed passes so I use low rates for them, mid for normal acro/flying, high for snaps and spins. Gonna have to see how the Electra flies, maybe I will set up a second aircraft trying the method used by you and Pablo. I did switch to using mid flaps for slow flying my Habu after watching Jack D with his Electra, these jets really benefit from a little flap. Ya got me thinking though! And thanks for the explanation Jack, LOL I was trying (unsuccessfully) to see if I could have my trim go with the flap setting a couple days ago after Jack mentioned it but the light only came on now, I can do that if I assign the flight modes to the flap switch! I may have to do that at the field Saturday Jack D, gotta go to work now...
Husafreak is online now Find More Posts by Husafreak
Last edited by Husafreak; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Apr 2005
141 Posts
Quote:
I can see that it is a cool feature but what I don't get is I like to use high and low rates even clean, on my Habu normal acrobatics control rates become way too sensitive at high speed passes so I use low rates for them, mid for normal acro/flying, high for snaps and spins. Gonna have to see how the Electra flies, maybe I will set up a second aircraft trying the method used by you and Pablo. I did switch to using mid flaps for slow flying my Habu after watching Jack D with his Electra, these jets really benefit from a little flap. Ya got me thinking though!
I have my rates on a separate switch... use the flight modes mostly for the independant triming capabilities
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Yeah, I can use the flap switch for 3 flight modes with each flap setting including the trim. Then use the individual Tx switches for dual rates.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
OK that was a snap. Flight modes are on the flap switch, trims go with the individual flap settings. Triple rates are on the individual control surface switches, that I am not used to but it should come back pretty quick. Thanks
Last edited by Husafreak; Sep 12, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:45 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,813 Posts
I never used dual rates on the electra. I wanted it to fly the same all the time. I did not find it needed dual rates at all. I did put a switch for snap rolls but thats all it was for.

Flight conditions is a must of you have it on your transmitter. I did have my throws a little longer on full flap. That way when I am slow I have some more authority.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Apr 2005
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
I never used dual rates on the electra. I wanted it to fly the same all the time. I did not find it needed dual rates at all. I did put a switch for snap rolls but thats all it was for.

Flight conditions is a must of you have it on your transmitter. I did have my throws a little longer on full flap. That way when I am slow I have some more authority.
I did have dual rates just for the first flight, as an added safety. After a few flights, I disabled dual rates so there is one less swith to check...

That is true on all my planes
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Then you need to buy a Pattern or 3D plane Jack! Sounds to me like the Electra is going to be a real sweethart with that big flight envelope and no need for dual rates...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,804 Posts
i flew on lo-rates all the time. I asked Pablo once he flew on hi-rates all the time with a bunch of expo.

flight modes what's that? guess i need new radio
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,121 Posts
Quote:
Then you need to buy a Pattern or 3D plane Jack! Sounds to me like the Electra is going to be a real sweethart with that big flight envelope and no need for dual rates...
I liked dual rates, I think it comes down to preference over need...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
I like Pablo's idea, i gotta try that. I love this discussion because I can get new ideas. What Pablo is doing makes a lot of sense. Now, I have not flown the Electra yet but I have flown my Habu 32 a lot. I thought the Habu would be boring but it's not, it's a rush, i love flying it, and now I have an Electra. But my control set up is based on prior experience and may not be optimum for jets.
I find I am switching to really low rates for fast passes and mid rates for general flying and high rates for more extreme stuff. All the while using traditional low amounts of expo to get the feel around center to be the same. This is what most 3D and Pattern flyers do. But their speed envelope is pretty small. In the past I have only used high expo values with huge surface deflections. But jets are different. I won't be doing knife edge loops or rolling harriers or hovering my Electra. But I will be going really fast! Well, at speed my Habu becomes too sensitive to make minor corrections without it being obvious. But because of my background with IMAC and 3D planes I associate lots of expo only with huge surface deflections. Now, with a lot of expo (back to Pablo) really fast flying could be done smoothly. So, using large amounts of expo and still running high rates when cruising pretty fast is sounding pretty good. Sure I'll use larger stick deflections as the speed and sensitivity decrease but it may come pretty naturally, lord knows with my helis and 3D planes I am routinely using very large stick movements. And when flaps come out for slow flight or landings maybe then reduce expo while retaining those high rates to keep the responsive feel correct for that flight envelope.
Bottom line is proper setup of an aircraft and its controls is key in my mind to flying well and enjoying your flights to their fullest. Many modelers spend their time fighting their aircraft, they will talk for hours about motors and batteries and color schemes but not the control "setup". This type of discussion really is the "black art" of flying model aircraft and heli's.
Last edited by Husafreak; Sep 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Thanks for all your help! Thanks to this build thread my Electra has a lot of great features so thanks Jack F. I got the Electra up yesterday and put it away in one piece six flights later. Thanks especially to Jack Diaz for coming out and going over the setup and moral/professional support for the maiden. What can I say? The Electra is a great plane, wonderful flying qualities, pretty special actually. That was a great day at the field!
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,182 Posts
Great job bud!! The boys and I over and the warbird meet kept waiting for an update. I'm so glad glad to hear it all worked out.

Can't wait to see it fly and do some videos...
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101