SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:45 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
...the air retracts will probably break the door as the retract with so much force.
If you've got air retracts why not just do what I did and add a small cylinder on the door and a micro switch on the nose gear? It's quite simple to do and rock solid (and strong)!

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:58 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,254 Posts
Eric,
Jacks 100% right... you should slap me for not thinking about setting up the air cylinder like my A-4

Tam sells a little bracket that hold a micro air switch (like you have for your brakes) when the nose gear comes up it hits the arm on the bracket which hit the air switch and bam door closes

I had this on my A-4 and it was rock solid every time

good thinking Jack....
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Apr 2005
141 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone ever had trouble with the nose gear door spring arrangement on the Electra? I have Tamjets nose gear and strut so I did a one piece nose gear door side hinged with control surface hinges as detailed in the build thread. While it all works and looks perfect when the door is open there is very little spring pressure to hold the door. IMHO it would only be a matter of time until the door will be blown against the retracting strut which will catch the door and destroy it. Ronnie came by to have a look and also believes I gotta put a servo in there to operate the door but I thought I would ask first...
Eric

I did it per instructions and it works flawlessly. just make sure there is enough tension on the spring. Make it following the plans, and use the screw on the block to adjust the tension. 100+ flights plus preflight checks and it has never ever failed. And it wasn't even hard to set up.

Can you post some pictures of your set up so I can help you debug it? you can also email them to me if you prefer

An air cylinder will work too, but it adds complexity. You will need either a sequencer or an extra servo with a micro air switch.

PS: Did some great Enduro back home (Caracas) the past couple of weeks!!!! now I really need a bike here
Jack G Diaz is offline Find More Posts by Jack G Diaz
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:01 AM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,835 Posts
the basic set up per manual for the std mech. nose gear works great without issue, never had a single problem

the only kit change suggestions I would make is if you go with the regular mech. retracts (which work perfectly) is

1. use one retract servo for each main cause the "s" shaped rod and the 1 retract servo is a PIA do every time you go fly if you constantly are removing the wings for transport.

2. get rid of the bottom hatch and secure the wing spars from the bottom of the spar channels and not the side

I'm with jack simple is best, but that is just me
hoser is online now Find More Posts by hoser
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:50 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,254 Posts
What you can't see about Eric's setup is he is running the Tam Jets nose gear and strut...

It has about a 1/2 inch 90 degree turn just above the wheel on the strut... this lip is going to hit the gear door and lock it up for sure

If he just had the straight wire gear it would be fine.... but it's not going to work the way it is now

his build is perfect and the door is setup as BVM states..... needs a little mod for Tams strut
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:06 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack G Diaz View Post
An air cylinder will work too, but it adds complexity. You will need either a sequencer or an extra servo with a micro air switch.
Actually you only need a micro switch and cylinder to do it the standard BVM way. The nose strut simply makes contact with the micro switch, closing the door (up) and releases the micro switch, opening the door (down), couldn't be easier. Of course to do it right you should also tap off the grey (down) line only for opening the door, to negate air loss while the gear is retracted but the system is quite simple and works well (and if you already use pneumatic gear, seems a no-brainer to me anyway)...

Jack
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:23 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
760 Posts
Lots of help here thanks! Does that micro switch really open the door fast enough to not have the gear break it off on the way down? I guess it does... Maybe I will go by Tam's today but I don't know if he's open. He hasn't been around lately.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:27 PM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Lots of help here thanks! Does that micro switch really open the door fast enough to not have the gear break it off on the way down? I guess it does... Maybe I will go by Tam's today but I don't know if he's open. He hasn't been around lately.
He has been there everyday this week.

I will be at the shop tomorrow morning @ 930 or so if you want to come by. I can help you out with the parts or setup.

James
lashmett75 is offline Find More Posts by lashmett75
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Oct 2004
760 Posts
I may come by this aft on way to work. I tried to upload a video but my camera records in .mov and I couldn't upload it. I'll have to figure that out sometime.
Last edited by Husafreak; Aug 08, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:12 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Does that micro switch really open the door fast enough to not have the gear break it off on the way down?
Oh heck yes! The door opens before the strut even has a chance to touch it again. The best part is (if the cylinder is positioned properly), it opens a little more than 90 degrees AND if you cut a small piece of fuel tubing and put it over the piston, when it closes it butts up against the tubing making for a solid close with no sidewall deformation (from the force of the piston). I love it!

Jack
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Oct 2004
760 Posts
Thanks Jack, well Tam had a look at my door and he said, well, I'll paraphrase, he said it is fine and not to worry about it. He said the BVM setup is good and the door will stay open. I asked him about the microswitch/cylinder arrangement and he said don't make it any more complicated than it needs to be, LOL. Guesss i have no more excuses... I will certainly be able to use the air piston type on my next EDF project, an Airworld Me262.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:05 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Apr 2005
141 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Jack, well Tam had a look at my door and he said, well, I'll paraphrase, he said it is fine and not to worry about it. He said the BVM setup is good and the door will stay open. I asked him about the microswitch/cylinder arrangement and he said don't make it any more complicated than it needs to be, LOL. Guesss i have no more excuses... I will certainly be able to use the air piston type on my next EDF project, an Airworld Me262.
Cool, so what´s next? when are we maidening that baby???? can't wait to have some more electras around
Jack G Diaz is offline Find More Posts by Jack G Diaz
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Oct 2004
760 Posts
Whats next? Your KTM350 and my Electra!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Oct 2004
760 Posts
I must be doing something wrong as I cannot get the air lines onto the air tank or the plastic T's. I have Tam's air lines, they went onto the gear cylinders just fine but now I'm breaking T's? Sorry to ask here but figured someone would know.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:57 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,695 Posts
take a ballend and allrn driver of the appropriate size put it inside the tubing wait a minute then push on the t
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini