HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:07 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,467 Posts
A couple pointers, first, make sure you slow the flap travel as much as possible, we usually set them to 2 seconds. Next, you'll need a good 4 clicks of down elevator with flaps in landing position. The Electra can fly S L O W so keep that in mind for both gear and flap deployment...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:10 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,297 Posts
side slipping to avoid the normal ballooning affect from flaps is a half @%$ method to simply adding the elev mix. especially on an electra. once you add just a lil mix the problem is gone and you can make approaches normally. you'll also have less issue with ground effects
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:15 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,297 Posts
dead on

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
A couple pointers, first, make sure you slow the flap travel as much as possible, we usually set them to 2 seconds. Next, you'll need a good 4 clicks of down elevator with flaps in landing position. The Electra can fly S L O W so keep that in mind for both gear and flap deployment...

Jack
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:49 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
147 Posts
Thanks Guys, I do have my flaps set on a 2 second delay, but on the next flight im going to trim it out in flight mode on both stages of flaps. Mixing in in some down elevator should clear it up..I can almost say I was going to fast to deploy them which in turn caused the ballooning effect. I have to get use to the slow speed handling of it..It does seem that it just wants to stay in the air, and I did hear it can almost fly at a crawl, 35mph or less.. Ill have to google some vids to see some slow speed flying of it..More flights this weekend, I will try and report back..Thanks for the help everyone..
LTR450 is offline Find More Posts by LTR450
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:56 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
I've watched Jack Diaz fly his and it is amazing how slow the Electra will come in, slower than my Habu 32. At the Woodland Jet Rally we had a strong wind 10-20 down the runway and he was landing and rolling to a stop in 50', I doubt he used more than 150' of runway. I don't think I will need to use my brakes much! Of course he has that plane dialed... kids, don't try this at home
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:19 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,467 Posts
Pablo Fernandez and Rob Lynch are masters of slow flying with the Electra, doing figure 8's and S L O W passes inches above the runway, it's a regular part of their show flying routines. I probably have a lot of slow video but I guess I've just grown so accustomed to it that I simply take it for granted and usually edit it out ;-)

Jack
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Jack

Perhaps you should post a short video of slow flying. The comment in one of the previous posts by someone else about comparison to the Habu 32 doesn't make any sense.

He says that the electra lands even slower than his Habu 32. The Habu 32 does not land slow. From what I have seen, most of the time the Habu 32 has a hard time stopping on our 500 foot runway, and several are flying..

I have seen live demonsrations of the Electra landing like a trainer, unlike the Habu 32. Lousy comparison woudn't you say?
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Jul 10, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,222 Posts
Al,
Me , Eric and our bud Tom all land our Habu 32's on a 450 runway at our local field. Most days we land in half that distance....
So a habu can come in very slow.... Eric has been teaching me more on slow flying as I have always been one scared to slow down a jet. With a little flap a sport jet can fly very slow ( but you have to know it can bit you if you are not on the ball)
We have all gotten pretty good at flying right at that edge (head wind helps a lot!!)
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:48 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Ron,

I agree, experience with a plane can be a good teacher. But, you know, and I know, fixing landing gear is no fun, and a weed grabbing a wing will do more damage than most would think.

So, the Electra's ability to fly slow cannot be compared to a Habu 32. Also, most guys don't fly during the week, or even every weekend, so practice and experimentation is like what happens to your muscles if you stop going to the gym, you loose efficiency.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:58 AM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
147 Posts
well so far I have about 20 flights on the Electra. The balloning issue I had was from going to fast. I have been slowing it down and going full flaps and it works like a charm. This thing does fly SLOOOOOWW. So slow that it bit me in tha a$$ yesterday..

There was a good 15-20 MPH wind coming right down the runway, I was coming in with no power after my final turn, I was far out and I got too ahead of it. I should have kept more power on landing as the wind just made it stop over the runway. Broke the nose and right wing flex plate.. Just minor damage to the nose gear door, which I already fixed, but my right wing got a little skin damage. I already shipped ot off to Harley Condra, He has fixed stuff before for me in the past, and he is a wiz at it..Just when I think I'm the best ( lol ) at this hobby it turns around and slaps me in the face..haha.

Im starting to really like flex plates..
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:38 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTR450 View Post
This thing does fly SLOOOOOWW. So slow that it bit me in tha a$$ yesterday...
It happens to the best of us, don't beat yourself up. One question, with wind like that, you should have only been using half-flaps on landing, you were right? The general rule is to keep 1/4 power until over the hreashold, I've had to say this to myself many times as I've been bit too!

Jack
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:49 AM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
147 Posts
Your right there also. I should have been usin half flaps. With the ballooning my mind was wrapped around full flaps?? Too many things in my head.... I'm going crazy..make the noises stop.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:50 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTR450 View Post
well so far I have about 20 flights on the Electra. The balloning issue I had was from going to fast. I have been slowing it down and going full flaps and it works like a charm. This thing does fly SLOOOOOWW. So slow that it bit me in tha a$$ yesterday..

There was a good 15-20 MPH wind coming right down the runway, I was coming in with no power after my final turn, I was far out and I got too ahead of it. I should have kept more power on landing as the wind just made it stop over the runway. Broke the nose and right wing flex plate.. Just minor damage to the nose gear door, which I already fixed, but my right wing got a little skin damage. I already shipped ot off to Harley Condra, He has fixed stuff before for me in the past, and he is a wiz at it..Just when I think I'm the best ( lol ) at this hobby it turns around and slaps me in the face..haha.

Im starting to really like flex plates..
So here 64,000.000 question? You fly EDF and turbines, Do you have a preference?
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:22 AM
Swat Team Member
LV, NV
Joined Apr 2003
623 Posts
Anytime you land the Electra in the wind you should keep power on until you reach the runway, I got bit by that just before Florida Jets. On a Calm day you can chop power and deadstick it in with no problems...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
P. Richards is offline Find More Posts by P. Richards
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,843 Posts
I miss my electra
gunradd is online now Find More Posts by gunradd