HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:46 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
147 Posts
Well mine is all done..Went all electric, E-gear, E-brake..Everything is up and running, just in time for capitol Jets this coming weekend..Im going with Jack D's recommendation of a 1/4 ahead of CG..I balanced it yesterday and it CG'd exactly 1/4 ahead of CG, no weight to add. Built it per the manual..Cant get the duro strut on the front without smooshing the front door when down..Figures, just bought it new..Maiden tomorrow..Coming back to 75% of BVM's throws and adding some expo..I heard his throws are real sensitive, the experts can chime in if they want on that one...Some pics below
LTR450 is offline Find More Posts by LTR450
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:15 PM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Nov 2007
99 Posts
Tool is no longer included. To many dumb thumb warranty returns.

Why? JetJoe damages his rotor and then it explodes. When he calls his lawyer his memory fails him and he can not recall.......
jtlittle is offline Find More Posts by jtlittle
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Apr 2005
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTR450 View Post
Coming back to 75% of BVM's throws and adding some expo..I heard his throws are real sensitive, the experts can chime in if they want on that one...Some pics below
sounds about right for the Ailerons. I left elevator and rudder as per instructions

let us know how it goes

congrats and good luck
Jack
Jack G Diaz is offline Find More Posts by Jack G Diaz
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:56 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTR450 View Post
Well mine is all done..Went all electric, E-gear, E-brake..Everything is up and running, just in time for capitol Jets this coming weekend..Im going with Jack D's recommendation of a 1/4 ahead of CG..I balanced it yesterday and it CG'd exactly 1/4 ahead of CG, no weight to add. Built it per the manual..Cant get the duro strut on the front without smooshing the front door when down..Figures, just bought it new..Maiden tomorrow..Coming back to 75% of BVM's throws and adding some expo..I heard his throws are real sensitive, the experts can chime in if they want on that one...Some pics below
Could you give me an idea of how much this new Electra cost you with all the new BVM electric toys that you installed...If I'm prying into to much of a personal issue I apologize!! Just curious cause this is not an everyday set up one encounters in the BVM threads in here!! Thanks!!
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:44 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
Probably 6 or 7 grand.

You could always go to BVM's website and stick it all in your shopping cart to see what your in for.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:30 AM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
Could you give me an idea of how much this new Electra cost you with all the new BVM electric toys that you installed...If I'm prying into to much of a personal issue I apologize!! Just curious cause this is not an everyday set up one encounters in the BVM threads in here!! Thanks!!

Skyhawks right, and no your not prying..it was close to 7 grand..Probably more with all the odds and ends, actually def more now that I had to upgrade my charging situation, bought a PW8, new power supply, and still need to get a generator so Im not waitng an hour between flights..Thanks again Jack for your help..You and Harley are Awesome!!! I will try the elevator setting per the manual, off to the field..I will report back..
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:47 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,283 Posts
LTR450, how you like the electric brakes? Are they 100% electric? Are they powered off your RX pack? I cant seem to find them on BVM's site. I'd like to add them, if its not to much weight. Thanks for the input
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Nov 2007
99 Posts
http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Special...ectric_now.htm
jtlittle is offline Find More Posts by jtlittle
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
744 Posts
Sounds expensive but I'm here to tell you that the Electra and associated BVM components is no doubt the best solution to the problem of getting one of these built and in the air. I personally elected to go with another fan (Stumax) and retracts (Tamjets air/struts/brakes). I didn't do it just to save money but in the end I have a box full of precisely engineered parts and a manual and plans full of great details that I paid for but couldn't use. I had to spend many, many hours re-engineering and desiging new installations and mods. I am very happy with the results and I should have a build thread and a flying Electra soon but the way I did it it is not an ARF anymore! Going all BVM is expensive but going your own way is maybe defeating the purpose...
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,298 Posts
If you look at the folks that have gone the full BVM recommended setup with the Electra (or any other BVM product for that matter), you'll have a hard time finding folks that have any complaints. BVM does it right, their attention to detail and overall support (documentation, updates, setup information, event attendance and support) is second to none and it shows in their products. It's not the only good product on the market but it absolutely is the most engineered, refined and perfected...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:22 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
147 Posts
The electric brake still uses an airline from a cylinder that is attached to single mount with the servo..I have it installed with hook and loop tape to the bottom of the fuse, works great, no air to mess with..

Well I maidened the Electra today..When I first got to the field I did a taxi test to see how she went. Turns out my solder on the the front wire strut wasnt good enough as I had no left or right steering..I had to take the jet apart, go back to the workshop and I just Made the duro strut fit..PITA, so much for work today..On top of it my power supply crapped out..Didnt look like it was in the cards for me. Well I got it all back together finally and went to the home field, Pic below..There was a strong wind so I was little hesitant, but it was right down the runway..Lined her up and hit the throttle, the jet came off the grass runway, in I would say no more than 100 feet with takeoff flaps..

All I have to say is WOW!!! This has to be one of the cleanest airframes I have flown, you goose it once and the thing can almost fly around with no power..All it needed was 2 clicks of left aileron and it was hands off flying. I built it per the manual and it cg'd right off the bat..This thing is super fast, I was doing power off speed passes with it no sign of slowing down..Im going to have to get use to it..

I do have a question for the veterans..Are you mixing in any down elevator with the flaps for landing?? Reason I ask is it was really windy ( Pic os the sock below) so I only used take off flaps for landing..It wanted to balloon straight up and that got a little hairy feeling..I was already knocking at the knees to begin with...I didnt want to use full flaps as I thought this might heighten the situation..With take off flaps I really had to keep down elevator on landing to put the nose down, That was with a power off pattern for landing..Any one deal with this or have any suggestions..I had to go around once because of it..

One other note, I was using pro-links on the mains and didnt compensate for the bend, so when I landed, the grass ripped the strut doors off. Im going top fly it with out them for a while, but for anyone with prolinks, the need to be cut to the wheel opening..Should be fine then..Sorry for the long post, just excited as it flies unbelievable ...Below are pics of where I flew from..
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:08 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,283 Posts
you need to mix elevator with take off and landing flaps. i also slow the flap deployment for a smoother transition

congrats on your maiden!!
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:01 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,806 Posts
i never used a mix, and I reduced landing flaps to 2" a little down may not hurt but i don't think its needed

i flew mine 100% of the time on low rates, but realized i needed full rates for landings and take offs. the take off flaps will make it want to ballon on the nose, so i would start rolling while holding up some elevator
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
regarding the balooning when deploying flaps - have electra on 10s and son has electra on 12s - both built 100% according to BVM instructions - had the same problem the first time the flaps were deployed - this was also the first time we had ever flown a plane with flaps - and there was a very pronounced baloon effect - very startling - almost sh?t my pants - on next flights deployed flaps at a slower speed and the balooning effect reduced - gradually you'll get a feel for the speeds at which this tendency is reduced or non-existent - flaps should not be used to slow the plane down - but only to create lift (and drag) in the takeoff and landing configurations - we should expect that when flaps are deployed at higher than correct speeds, the plane will baloon - also was able to slow the flap deployment with the Tx - JR 10s - this probably helped somewhat but I believe having the plane slowed down before putting the flaps down is the proper technique - also, you can cheat a little if you deploy flaps during your turn on to downwind
samdimaio is online now Find More Posts by samdimaio
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:10 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,008 Posts
I mixed just a little down elevator to the flaps; but found the best way to do it is to program the flaps for a slower speed.

I also put the flaps on my left lever/slider on the 9303. This was I can dial in as much or little flap as I want for the given situation. Sometimes I need more sink or more lift.

I use this on all of my gliders and works nicely.

I also have the prolink struts and haven't had to do anything special to the door covers; but I also don't fly from grass.

Glad you are enjoying it...it is worth every penny IMHO.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton