SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:37 AM
Registered User
sbritton's Avatar
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
Jack,

I'm making steady progress on mine but running into an issue with the nose gear former and assembly. The pictures in the manual are a little dark and I can't make them out.

Can you take some pictures from various angles of the inside particularly around the nose gear assembly?

I'm using the blue air retracts.

Thanks...
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 12:18 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
Jack,

I'm making steady progress on mine but running into an issue with the nose gear former and assembly. The pictures in the manual are a little dark and I can't make them out.

Can you take some pictures from various angles of the inside particularly around the nose gear assembly?

I'm using the blue air retracts.

Thanks...
I just looked through all of my pictures, they are all dark too. When I get stuck I usually refer to the blue prints, nice that BV includes them as you can pull measurements directly from them. What exactly are you having an issue with? Maybe it's something I had to call Rob or Pablo to explain to me... ;-)

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 12:33 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
I took care of all the loose ends last night, installed the fan and thrust tube, made a battery tray for the booster pack (between the inlets) and installed it, made sure all he wiring was clean and wire ties used everywhere, just busy work in preparation for putting on the wings on and programming today for a maiden tomorrow (hopefully!).

The battery tray was left as "whatever you want" considering it's optional to mount between the inlets for those using 3 x 4S cell saddle packs to get 12S. These are the packs for the eBandit and Mig and can be used is any/all 12S setups as long as you have a mounting system for them. This setup also lets me use my older 2 x 5S and 2S booster pack as well.

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:24 PM
Registered User
sbritton's Avatar
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
Get out of town. I had no idea the plans were in there...can't believe I missed them. That was the best tip yet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
I just looked through all of my pictures, they are all dark too. When I get stuck I usually refer to the blue prints, nice that BV includes them as you can pull measurements directly from them. What exactly are you having an issue with? Maybe it's something I had to call Rob or Pablo to explain to me... ;-)

Jack
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:26 PM
Registered User
Tamjets's Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
I want to do something different my Electra.
Electric gear...now I need to works on electric brake.
Than be 100% Electra.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:29 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
Get out of town. I had no idea the plans were in there...can't believe I missed them. That was the best tip yet.
Really? That's one of the best BVM "perks" IMO, they give you a set of working blue prints, accurate down to the smallest detail. Rob told me about them half into my first Electra build after I called him 100 times, heheh, I didn't really look that close either. I now have to admit after referring to them a few times across several builds, nothing helps more than seeing it in a scale drawing...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:31 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
I want to do something different my Electra.
Electric gear...now I need to works on electric brake.
Than be 100% Electra.
Do what Dustin and BV did on their eBandit from last year @ E-jets, electric gear and a servo that pumps a small pump to actuate the brake via air (but electrically driven!)...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:54 PM
Registered User
Tamjets's Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Do what Dustin and BV did on their eBandit from last year @ E-jets, electric gear and a servo that pumps a small pump to actuate the brake via air (but electrically driven!)...

Jack
I kind of get an idea what you talking about.
I had an already had an idea how to make my electric brake valve.
But waiting for the software guy to design me a circus board parts to driven the acutuator and firmware for amount pressure apply to the brake.
The machine parts is easy.
The whole idea is to make it light and compact.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 02:00 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
I kind of get an idea what you talking about.
I had an already had an idea how to make my electric brake valve.
But waiting for the software guy to design me a circus board parts to driven the acutuator and firmware for amount pressure apply to the brake.
The machine parts is easy.
The whole idea is to make it light and compact.
Where are you getting electric gear that's sturdy and well built?

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 02:35 PM
Registered User
Tamjets's Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Where are you getting electric gear that's sturdy and well built?

Jack
E-Flite 25-46 gear with trailing struts.
It been using in the Spark and held up in grass landing.
The machine shop will machine me the more sturdy trunion to upgrade later once more sell coming.
Right now it not enough sale yet for this size gear and not enough sell to make 1000 pieces.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:09 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
Final touches! I don't know if I ever showed the final results of my modifications to the wing and stab mounting (with set screws for wings and cap head screws for the stabs) but here are pictures of the final product. Just 4 small slots for the wings and 4 small holes for the stabs, nothing protruding, veary easy and clean to remove either! Also included is a picture of the CF skids BVM includes for the bottom of the stabs, so when they drag (doing wheelies) on the runway, nothing is damaged...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:19 PM
Registered User
Tamjets's Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Final touches! I don't know if I ever showed the final results of my modifications to the wing and stab mounting (with set screws for wings and cap head screws for the stabs) but here are pictures of the final product. Just 4 small slots for the wings and 4 small holes for the stabs, nothing protruding, veary easy and clean to remove either! Also included is a picture of the CF skids BVM includes for the bottom of the stabs, so when they drag (doing wheelies) on the runway, nothing is damaged...

Jack
Jack,
Did you flips the screws for mouting the stabs?
I remember to remove the stabs had to take out the ducting.
Look like new kit don't need to remove the hatch to unscrew the wing.
Now that make more easy to remove the wing to tranport.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:35 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
Jack,
Did you flips the screws for mouting the stabs?
I remember to remove the stabs had to take out the ducting.
Look like new kit don't need to remove the hatch to unscrew the wing.
Now that make more easy to remove the wing to tranport.
See post #6 for the stab mounting. The wings were an idea I got part from what Ralf Dvorak (rest in peace Ralf) did with his Electra and part from the new eBandit rear channel mounts, with heli-coil inserts. I just ordered 4 of them (2 x right and 2 x left) and switched them with the Electra mounts (pointing the heli-coils down since the fan would be in the way from the top)...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:42 PM
Registered User
Tamjets's Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
That is good idea.
I'll order heli-coils from McMaster and do the samething to my.
Thanks
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 04:02 PM
BVM Viper Fever
pdawg's Avatar
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,560 Posts
Your Electra looks like a museum piece Jack! I am a bit surprised that the Electra doesn't have some small servos in the stab for the elevators to keep the linkage as short as possible. I'm sure there is a reason for it but the weight of 2 servos in the tail is negligible.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion BVM Electra ARF Kevin Murray Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 26 Jun 12, 2014 09:13 PM
Build Log BVM Electra ARF build and modifications ralf dvorak Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 42 Jan 27, 2012 06:52 AM
Discussion BVM electra/Air blue gear. skyhawk Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Apr 25, 2011 06:55 PM
For Sale BVM Electra ARF (RTF) - $4200 chw757s6640 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 11 Mar 12, 2011 10:01 PM
For Sale BVM Electra ARF coupon RicVaughn Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Oct 09, 2008 09:43 PM