SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:07 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
1,049 Posts
Hey Jack - was wondering about a couple things regarding the Electra. I want to sort of keep it simple and go with the mechanical retracts and wire gear. Is there any reason why I shouldn't go with the mechanical's and wire struts with no brakes? I fly off a 700 foot runway. Was looking on BV's website and on the pricing page for the Electra they don't even offer a package that has struts even though I realize you can add them. I think it looks a lot nicer with struts and I'm sure the extra weight isn't really a big deal. Did any of your previous Electra's have wire struts and if so how did you like the performance?

Thanks in advance

S
smaze17 is offline Find More Posts by smaze17
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:15 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,837 Posts
The wire struts are fine. Brakes are not needed at all for 700 feet. I put them on because sometimes I go to shorter feilds. BVM sells a little tool also for bending the struts back while still installed in the plane if you bend them. They do tend to bend a little over time but its not really an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaze17 View Post
Hey Jack - was wondering about a couple things regarding the Electra. I want to sort of keep it simple and go with the mechanical retracts and wire gear. Is there any reason why I shouldn't go with the mechanical's and wire struts with no brakes? I fly off a 700 foot runway. Was looking on BV's website and on the pricing page for the Electra they don't even offer a package that has struts even though I realize you can add them. I think it looks a lot nicer with struts and I'm sure the extra weight isn't really a big deal. Did any of your previous Electra's have wire struts and if so how did you like the performance?

Thanks in advance

S
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:19 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,342 Posts
Quote:
Well, I may be giving Patty a call sometime soon. I remember a little while ago they had a nice special going on the Sabre's. It was like $1995.00 for the kit. I wonder If I can coerce..........

Either way, there is a 100% chance I will own one someday soon. I really like the 10S EVF 2 setup. IMHO, the 10S setup is well worth $995.00. Nice and light with loads of power. This set up in a Sabre or Electra would be the nuts

S
Agreed, we went flying with Bob in November to see him demo the 10S setup and to tell you the truth, I couldn't tell the difference between it and the 12S systems there, he really optimized the 10S motor/ESC. Tell Patty you missed the sale, she may come through for you on a Sabre/Fury ARF. I don't know if you saw but we had a dual build thread going with me and a friend both building Sabre/Fury ARF's. I LOVED my White and Orange one, only sold it for the eBandit but I really, really want another one, might be my next plane...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:22 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,342 Posts
Quote:

Thanks in advance

S
I had a camo Electra for 18 months and it had wire struts, I learned to fly jets with it in fact. The only issue I had with the wire was I bent them maybe 4 or 5 times. Easy enough to bend back but for me, with some harder landings, I decided to go with struts for durability (even though Pablo and Rob have more than 500 landings on a set of wire struts without bending once, probably says something about my landings!). For me it's also about looks, I just dig the beefy look of struts but don't for a minute be scared off, the mechanical gear and wire struts work perfectly fine and are very light...

Jack
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:02 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,342 Posts
Installed the landing gear, much easier when you have the right parts ;-) I had to do a little customizing to account for my using Duro-Struts versus the wire struts designed for the Electra. In this case, I used Sabre/Fury main struts and they need to be shortened by 1/4", a tough job for the dremel given they are solid at the ends, it took a good 5 minutes of cutting! In fact I had to call BV first and ask if I could take that much off and not worry about cutting off the solid part of the struts, he assured me it was fine, of course it was, the man knows his product.

I also had to find a way to attach the strut covers (doors) to the struts since the covers were designed for wire struts with no shock absorbtion (meaning the wire struts don't change length but the Duro-Struts do!) and they used a screw into the axle block to attach the end of the cover. This turned out not to be as hard as I thought, I ended up just cutting two holes and using a plasic wire tie, I just had to use a 1/4" drum and dremel to sand a slight relief "trough" into the wood between the holes so the wire tie would be flush with the top surface of the wood door and the finished doors would lay flat on the wood, simple! I also had to cut the strut openings a little wider and cut a little relief on the gear opening cover plate for the brake line to not bind, also simple...

Jack
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:03 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,342 Posts
A few more shots of the finished main retract/strut/cover...

Jack
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:27 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,483 Posts
Wonderful engineering Jack! BTW what is the distance from the bottom of the wing to the bottom of the wheel?
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:33 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Wonderful engineering Jack! BTW what is the distance from the bottom of the wing to the bottom of the wheel?
"Engineering" is a strong word, just minor changes to BVM's already well engineered product but thanks! Clearance is about 5 1/4" from bottom of wing skin to ground at the root...

Jack
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:12 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,890 Posts
Nice!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:43 PM
Two Rivers, WI
Joined Mar 2003
565 Posts
Jack

I know your a big BVM guy- but tell me that having those bottom landing gear covers not match the color of the wing is totally acceptable for the price of this airframe. that would not fly for me.

Ryan
ICRSHLTS is offline Find More Posts by ICRSHLTS
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:45 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICRSHLTS View Post
I know your a big BVM guy- but tell me that having those bottom landing gear covers not match the color of the wing is totally acceptable for the price of this airframe. that would not fly for me.

Ryan
You lost me there Ryan, the color is an exact match?

Jack
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:55 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,890 Posts
smokin the goof stuff..
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:31 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,342 Posts
For the second gear door, I decided to paint the inside flat black before mounting, I don't know why I never do this during building? I first thought about doing it with my Fury and said I would always do this from now on (oops!), I really like the look but I always forget...

Jack
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:59 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
1,049 Posts
Dude Jack - you've completely "enabled" me to put in a call to Patty tomorrow...thanks a lot buddy

S
smaze17 is offline Find More Posts by smaze17
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:12 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
For the second gear door, I decided to paint the inside flat black before mounting, I don't know why I never do this during building? I first thought about doing it with my Fury and said I would always do this from now on (oops!), I really like the look but I always forget...

Jack
What, no easy airs?
Jack, I hope you don't plan to connect the airlines manually!
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f