HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:56 AM
DrV
Joined Jan 2006
226 Posts
Are a lot of you guys using breaks? And did you get BV air blue retracts and wheels and breaks for the "turbine version"

Also is there any performance difference with the sport/swept fin vs camo standard fin?

I like the camo

Will go with recommended servos and evf3 12s.
DrV is offline Find More Posts by DrV
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 07:03 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,749 Posts
Straight fin is better for knife edge. Brakes not needed but easy to add with air retracts.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:03 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Straight fin is better for knife edge. Brakes not needed but easy to add with air retracts.
Exactly ;-)

I am adding brakes because this is my second Electra and this one gets everything I want in a perfect Electra. In this case, aluminum wheels (bling) and air retracts with Durostruts (half "looks" and half durability), brakes (for short runways or just "late" landings, call it piece of mind) and high voltage servos and a DSMx RX. I'm also making the wings secure without the need for the belly pan and the stabs removable from the underside (without removal of the thrust tube) but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone not familiar with the Electra and comfortable breaking from the manual...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:21 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,846 Posts
sounds like your going all out jack! cant wait to see some pics.

you said your coming to the BITW? where is that beeing held this year? have a date for the event? last year it was a hour from me....but because of family things i couldnt go...
might just be the kick in the ballz i need to finish up my kfir.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:22 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,846 Posts
ps.....seeing those pretty electras cruisin around with dubro rubber donut wheels and chicken wire legs is like a ZO6 vette cruisin town with 4 spare tires on it
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:34 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,573 Posts
Why bother with an Electra? You're a scale guy, buy a Mig-15. He's got a special now, 50% off the landing gear so you can put the savings in to the scale struts you must have
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:43 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
sounds like your going all out jack! cant wait to see some pics.

you said your coming to the BITW? where is that beeing held this year? have a date for the event? last year it was a hour from me....but because of family things i couldnt go...
might just be the kick in the ballz i need to finish up my kfir.
I just am not motivated at the moment, I have to kick myself to just get it back on the bench and finish. BITW, me?! I mentioned trying to come out to Cali Jets one of these days, so many events I want to go to...

Jack
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:45 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
Quote:
ps.....seeing those pretty electras cruisin around with dubro rubber donut wheels and chicken wire legs is like a ZO6 vette cruisin town with 4 spare tires on it
I give Bob credit for always thinking light, the guys that can land like a butterfly (Rob and Pablo to mention 2) have hundreds of flight on the Elctras with not even a bent wire strut, for them the light weight is worth the fact it's wire. For me, well I land like an anvil dropped ON a butterfly...

Jack
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:08 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Brent:
It's Sept 29-Oct 2.
This year it will be at Buttonwillow. I'm expecting it to be at least as large as Cali Jets was this year.
All the proceeds benefit the Make a Wish Foundation.
http://www.bestinthewestjetrally.com/
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,846 Posts
aww crap. im going to a event in vegas that weekend!!! bummer!

going to the "ace in the hole" electric event....atleast ill be able to hear my jets there
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:15 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
Quote:
aww crap. im going to a event in vegas that weekend!!! bummer!

going to the "ace in the hole" electric event....atleast ill be able to hear my jets there
Also up against the first Joe Nall electric-only event on the East coast...

Jack
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:06 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
Time to re-open the thread, my "time to build" mindset has kicked back in! So when we last saw our hero... Seriously, with nothing but wings and electronics to do I just burned out and lost "the feeling" and took a break. I was driving around this past Saturday when all of a sudden I thought, I need to build this Electra!

The wings are straight forward, you start by lining the retract bays with CF (BVM gives you a piece for both bays) or as in my case, a piece of poly ply, which I find quick and easy and less fuss to epoxy in with QPoxy versus get out the resin and CF. Mounting the servos is cake, especially if you use the new breed of thin servos with break-off tabs. You can mount these to 3/8" square hardwood and glue to balsa or poly-ply plates and install quickly when ready (also makes for easy removal!).

Jack
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:17 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
I ended up ordering air retracts with Duro-Struts, aluminum wheels and brakes, I want this Electra the exact way I want it, brakes and all! I was assembling everything and attaching air lines when I thought, "odd, these retracts look so large?" and luckily laid them in place before just cutting stuff to make them fit. Turns out I got a set of Bandit gear by mistake, no way it will fit without cutting a LOT of stuff out, including moving the flap servos, not good!

So of course I called BVM and screamed at everyone I could, then sent a nasty e-mail and of course filed an injuction against them...

Joking of course! I kid the shorter members of our R/C community, seriously, feel the love all around...

Patty from BVM put the correct Air Blue mains in the mail yesterday, I'll have them in a few hours <smooch!>...

Jack
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:20 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,878 Posts
Are you sure you dont want to make a video about receiving the wrong retracts?

BTW are the tires round............................................. ..
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:28 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
Without the correct gear to wrap this build up (a few other odds and ends are still left), I decided to finish the wings (mount servos, install control horns, install linkage, install gear flex plates and tap for gear screws). I really like working with these ARF's, there is enough to do to make you feel like you've accomplished something yet all the hard stuff is done, a perfect match for me! I know the builders among us feel this "isn't building", I disagree, a poorly finished ARF shows as badly as a poorly finished kit and a clean, professional build equates to higher re-sale value...

Jack