HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Apr 2005
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post

Take your time, be extra careful and pay attention when gluing in the wing mounting formers, there are a few ways to do it but I've found trying to tack them with CA can get the CA in some bad places, like wicked into the brackets in effect gluing the carbon spars in-place! My preferred method is to insert the wings before doing anything to them (lighter) and turn the entire thing upside down (bottom up) and use a fair amount of blue painters tape to align and tape the wings flush with the bottom, then turn the entire thing over and Aeropoxy the ends of the formers only. Then turn it back over, align the seams again and let dry overnight. Once dry, remove the wings and glue the fomers completely with Aeropoxy. Lots of other things you'll encounter, for me wing mounting is a biggie, stab gluing to the carbon spars perhaps the other "take it slow" item, the rest is really a pleasure to build...

Jack
Shawn,

Fully agree with the other Jack here... tape the wings, look at them 150 times and then tack them with Aeropoxy or Vpoxy (I like vpoxy better, I feel Aeropoxy shows through the skin afte a few months due to shrinkage)

And when you install the stabs, do it with the wings on...

Another place where it pays to be patient is on the hatches. Again, go slowly, one at a time. And make sure you make the hatches sit in the fuse.

Keep in mind, this is not a typical arf, this is more of a prepainted kit. So don't rush it and enjoy it.

Feel free to PM me or email me, and if you ever need help, you can come to my place or we can meet half way at woodland (I'm in berkeley, so it will be a long drive to come to my place)

What did you decide on the servos?

Jack
Jack G Diaz is offline Find More Posts by Jack G Diaz
Last edited by Jack G Diaz; Jun 23, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:22 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,007 Posts
Thanks Jack. I have a big sign I put on my workbench that says "No Shortcuts". Nice reminder for those long nights working on it.

I went with the JR3421 for the ailerons and elevator and DS821 for the nose and rudder. Since I had some Spektrums already sitting around for another plane, I'm going to try the A5040 for the flaps.

Looking at the specs of the DS821 vs. JR3421....the DS821 actually appears to have better specs but about 1/3 of the cost. Go figure. My LHS had them and the A5040 on sale for $19!!!! I guess they weren't big sellers.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:47 PM
Joined Apr 2011
48 Posts
I wonder if anyone can confirm they're flying the DS821 on all surfaces in a high speed Electra? $19 is a great deal I wish my LHS had those for that price.
KCoolz is offline Find More Posts by KCoolz
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:07 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,007 Posts
I figure for the nose and rudder it is not that big of a deal. I don't think I would use them for the elevator though. They hold as well as the 3421 but maybe don't center quite as well.

Anyways, will likely start the build shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCoolz View Post
I wonder if anyone can confirm they're flying the DS821 on all surfaces in a high speed Electra? $19 is a great deal I wish my LHS had those for that price.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
7,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
Thanks Jack. I have a big sign I put on my workbench that says "No Shortcuts". Nice reminder for those long nights working on it.

I went with the JR3421 for the ailerons and elevator and DS821 for the nose and rudder. Since I had some Spektrums already sitting around for another plane, I'm going to try the A5040 for the flaps.

Looking at the specs of the DS821 vs. JR3421....the DS821 actually appears to have better specs but about 1/3 of the cost. Go figure. My LHS had them and the A5040 on sale for $19!!!! I guess they weren't big sellers.
The 3421's are awesome, you can't do better, while the 821 on steering is fine, I think you'll want to pony up for another 3421 or a 378 for the rudder. Yes, I am spending your money but this is a $6,000 investment, now is not the time to save maybe $300 on the cost of servos (my opinion only!). I think in the end the piece of mind and absolute rock solid flight you get from the JR gear is well worth the cost. I am going with 378's on the ailerons, flaps and rudder and 3421's on the elevators. Those 378's are sooooo easy to mount, another reason they are well worth the cost. I've used 821's a lot in prop planes but in the last year, 3 have seized up or stripped gears on me, fine for a prop plane but not a jet!

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
Swat Team Member
LV, NV
Joined Apr 2003
605 Posts
Nose wheel steering

BVM recommended a 9411 on the nose wheel steering, I don't know I just went with everything he asked for, remember it's engineered for success...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
P. Richards is offline Find More Posts by P. Richards
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:54 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
7,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Richards View Post
BVM recommended a 9411 on the nose wheel steering, I don't know I just went with everything he asked for, remember it's engineered for success...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
I did too, Pablo says it's because the mechanical gear do transmit a fair amount of force to the servo when steering through grass, better to have something that won't strip out...

Jack
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:00 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,802 Posts
used 821 on flaps BV manual says they are fine on the elevators too.

i used hitec on everything else
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:14 PM
Joined Apr 2011
48 Posts
That's what I was wondering. Why BVM specs the 821 for most surfaces, including the elevator... I agree the 3421 may just be worth the extra peace of mind.

Hoser, what Hitecs did you use?
KCoolz is offline Find More Posts by KCoolz
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:39 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
7,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
used 821 on flaps BV manual says they are fine on the elevators too.

i used hitec on everything else
I can't agree based on what I've seen lately with my 821's. I used them for the longest time with no issues but to have 3 fail in a year, made me re-think the $20 servo. I see BV says they are OK for flaps and steering but remember they are lightly used and centering isn't a big deal in those applications. I know you well enough to trust you, just watch for anything out of the ordinary, I am a little spooked now...

Jack
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,802 Posts
understood jack, my decisions are sometimes based on finances. JR have more resolution and torque from what I've personally seen, but hitec has also been good for me.

the hitec retracts servos were cheap, but I have heard people having problems with them but so far so good and they work with the A123 6.6V without a volt. reg.

i used the HS-5245MG for the elevators and ailerons, i used the non digital thin wing servo for the rudder

FWIW
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:23 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,802 Posts
i think i use a HS-85mg for the nose steering :-)
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:55 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
7,905 Posts
Have to agree with Jack here. Lot's of different servo's are usable, the loads aren't particularly high. OTOH, precision definately shows @ high speed and reliability is important in a plane that can last for years. Mines almost 4 years old, buying the 3421's and 9411's was a little painful at the time but they are all still there doing the job.

Cept one reverse 9411SA (plastic gears!) on one flap which was the only way to actually buy a reverse 9411 at the time. It's gears stripped when I busted a flex plate and the planes weight settled on said flap. Those SA gears are now metal!
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:25 AM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,802 Posts
i dont think i disagreed with what is better quality, but that is what I'm using and i answered KC'z question

just wait till i figure out how to get two cheap brick pacs in there.

PS CT mine is 4 years old too it just got built 1 year ago
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:33 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
7,905 Posts
Yep, 2 5's would be nice. I use a 4 and 2 3's with one 3 on top, only good for a 4 minute flight but @ $200 a set I can have multiple packs charged for a session. The 4 fits fine on the side, 5 would pinch the thrust tube a bit but it'd be OK I think.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True