HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:08 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Apr 2005
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjet lynch View Post
Hey Jack D. Are you or your dad going to Winamac? Also welcome to RCG.
Also let me know when you want to mountain climing.
Hahahahahaha... I don't climb anymore, I'm affraid of climbers..

We won't make it to winamac. I'll be in Venezuela visiting the grandparents

But, my dad will make it to BITW for sure, are you coming?

later
Jack G
Jack G Diaz is offline Find More Posts by Jack G Diaz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:03 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
You can always try and twist it out by hand, I doubt you can make it budge without pratically breaking the plane. I am a pretty skilled builder, I do clean work and take time where it is necesary. Any new plane I first look over very carefully, including feeling the inside. Perhaps BVM just upped their game in the last few years but I'm not seeing any issue with glue sticking to the glasss as long as you use the right glue.

Something like CA needs surface preperation for sure. Also, remember BVM has been bulding for a long time, maybe residue was an issue before, maybe it's just an issue that pops up from time-to-time, them saying it is to cover themselves in case. I think as a builder you need to learn what works and what doesn't, everyone has their own peeves and things they think are necessary as well as things they think are not necessary...

Jack
Hey Jack

Cheers for your input !
You know I would call myself not a perfect builder, especially not for Composite as this is my very first Composite Jet. But I do have therefor some extensive experience when building and modifying foam jets.

2 of my mates from the field put me in a very anxious stress situation when they told me that I made a grave mistake by NOT cleaning the surface after sanding with acetone or anything similar.
This would cost me not only a 4000dollar plane but also probably be a reason to quit this Hobby.
I was very afraid afterwards and therefor launched a thread here on rcgroups.

All the Rest now of my Spark is being sanded and cleaned..but these are not such vital points like the control surfaces.

You know..I know how to handle Computers,Servers ,etc...as being a Microsoft System Engineer and Project Leader and I know what to do if something brakes down..but this ...this Spark means the whole world to me and I would shoot myself in the foot if it will happen, as my maiden flight is approaching at vast speeds.

I gotta take some pills maybe to actually cool me down when doing the maiden and just to chill.

This Jet is a preparation of going for my Electra in the Future(2012), so I need to get it done right.

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:31 AM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Nov 2007
99 Posts
Actually cleaning before sanding keeps from grinding the contamination into the glass surface.
jtlittle is offline Find More Posts by jtlittle
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:07 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer View Post
Hey Jack

Cheers for your input !
You know I would call myself not a perfect builder, especially not for Composite as this is my very first Composite Jet. But I do have therefor some extensive experience when building and modifying foam jets.

2 of my mates from the field put me in a very anxious stress situation when they told me that I made a grave mistake by NOT cleaning the surface after sanding with acetone or anything similar.
This would cost me not only a 4000dollar plane but also probably be a reason to quit this Hobby.
I was very afraid afterwards and therefor launched a thread here on rcgroups.

All the Rest now of my Spark is being sanded and cleaned..but these are not such vital points like the control surfaces.

You know..I know how to handle Computers,Servers ,etc...as being a Microsoft System Engineer and Project Leader and I know what to do if something brakes down..but this ...this Spark means the whole world to me and I would shoot myself in the foot if it will happen, as my maiden flight is approaching at vast speeds.

I gotta take some pills maybe to actually cool me down when doing the maiden and just to chill.

This Jet is a preparation of going for my Electra in the Future(2012), so I need to get it done right.

NS.
NS,

I'm a computer geek too, 20 years in IT, almost exclusively Microsoft technologies. You do what you feel comfortable with, in the end that's all that matters. Just don't put too much stock in what ANYONE (including me) says, you still have guys that insist RX's need to be wrapped in foam to prevent vibration, despite the fact that vibration shouldn't affect a solid state component. Anyway, I have to be careful what I say before someone jumps on me for that comment, heheh...

Cheers and good luck, post video!

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:55 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
NS,

I'm a computer geek too, 20 years in IT, almost exclusively Microsoft technologies. You do what you feel comfortable with, in the end that's all that matters. Just don't put too much stock in what ANYONE (including me) says, you still have guys that insist RX's need to be wrapped in foam to prevent vibration, despite the fact that vibration shouldn't affect a solid state component. Anyway, I have to be careful what I say before someone jumps on me for that comment, heheh...

Cheers and good luck, post video!

Jack
Yes I know Jack, but you see I think I made a possible mistake, costing me probably if it turns out bad a crazy amount of money to rebuild this Spark in case of a contact surface loosing it's bond.

However I just finish the Jet and go fly it...I will see then what will happen..if it happens to be a crash or not..I hope truly not.

Besides..we use and me of course as well mainly Microsoft Technologies and I am quite happy with the latest offerings from Microsoft on the Server side,etc.

I am sure if we both would meet 1 day, we could share some information between each other
I may not as long as you be in IT since I am only 28, but I am working now for more then 12 years with Computer Technology, Security, Cisco, Citrix, VMWare just to name a few.

Love this Job
NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:24 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
Happy Owner

Hey guys. Well UPS just dropped off my brand new Electra. Woohooo. Waiting on some additional parts before I start building.

I have been saving forever and so excited so actually see one up close.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:06 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
Hey guys. Well UPS just dropped off my brand new Electra. Woohooo. Waiting on some additional parts before I start building.

You are going to love it! Some guys at the feild where asking me if the electra is all that last weekend. And I said hell yes it is! Nothing flies like it. It is so percise. Screaming fast and lands like butta!
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:16 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,511 Posts
Quote:

Congrats my friend! You now own the best flying jet on the planet (yes I said jet, not EDF). Even Pablo misses his Electra at times when he flies his eBandit, the performance of the Electra is simply amazing in the right hands yet smooth and predictable in less capable ones. Feel free to ask about anything you need help with, there are quite a few guys here that would be happy to help...

Jack
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:54 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
Thanks guys. I was really amazed at the quality as I was pulling it out of the box. It was flawless.

They were backordered on the struts and the EVF2, so hopefully not too long on those. But what was really neat is they shipped a full EVF2 shroud (no rotor, stators...etc) so I can get building. How cool is that?

Any tips I should keep in mind that are not in the manual? Someone said that you should apply a coat of wax to the exterior before you start building so if you get glue smudges or other stuff on it, they will come off easier.

I picked up the aeropoxy with some self-mixing nozzles. Any advice on using? Are the nozzles only single use or do they need to be capped / cleaned?

Let's see...what else. Oh...main gear doors. Is it worth making doors for the bottom half of the wheels or just keep it simple? I'm not going for speed (10s) and really value reliable over anything else.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:18 PM
Die Meistertinkerer
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Jan 2006
492 Posts
Off topic a bit, but do you all know if Tam's TJ120 PNP is a simple drop-in for my ELectra ARF? I miss that sound of the 127mm Dynamax/Scorpion in the Cermark Viper I had, but sold. Thanks for any words of wisdom!
Frankensteen is offline Find More Posts by Frankensteen
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:34 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,252 Posts
Right on Shawn!!
can't wait to see it... hey when you going to come fly with me at oakdale?
wait until you see the runway now, they redid the whole thing

nice place for your sweet electra to maiden ,,,,,hint hint
and I know a camera man that just got a new HD cam (that would be me )

your going to love that puppy! way to go
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:17 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. I was really amazed at the quality as I was pulling it out of the box. It was flawless.

They were backordered on the struts and the EVF2, so hopefully not too long on those. But what was really neat is they shipped a full EVF2 shroud (no rotor, stators...etc) so I can get building. How cool is that?

Any tips I should keep in mind that are not in the manual? Someone said that you should apply a coat of wax to the exterior before you start building so if you get glue smudges or other stuff on it, they will come off easier.

I picked up the aeropoxy with some self-mixing nozzles. Any advice on using? Are the nozzles only single use or do they need to be capped / cleaned?

Let's see...what else. Oh...main gear doors. Is it worth making doors for the bottom half of the wheels or just keep it simple? I'm not going for speed (10s) and really value reliable over anything else.
Go with the stock door setup for sure. Its simple and very effective.

For the nozzles I just one use them and toss them in the trash. I get all my hysol jobs lined up and do as much as I can at one time. For smal parts you can just mix it with no nozzle. But man thier is nothing better for building jets then the hysol with the nozzels.

BTW you can clean them but what a pain. For a few bucks for 3 of them I would just buy extras. Reliablity on this plane is the best part. I go to the feild fly then hang it up when I get home with nothing to do .
Did you get the kit or ARF?
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:56 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,511 Posts
Quote:
Absolutely, until you get one in your hands you just can't imagine the quality. BVM glass work is absolute art.

Quote:
Someone said that you should apply a coat of wax to the exterior before you start building so if you get glue smudges or other stuff on it, they will come off easier.
I don't use the wax trick but Rob Lynch swears by it. I find myself washing my hands quite frequently, which helps. If you do try the wax, just rub it on and let the haze dry, nothing will stick to that.

Quote:
Chuck them after use, you can try and save all your epoxy work 'till the end of the day to maximize value but I just treat mysef to a new bag of 20 for $24 with each new build. Also, you may want to get a bag of 2 x 6" nozzles, they come in handy for the rear former. One tip, if you buy vPoxy (most folks like aeropoxy for formers and vPoxy for horns, pushrox exits or any place you will see the glue on the exterior (like when you glue the vertical fin, you can wipe off the excess and the little bit of clear you see in the seam won't be visible unless 6" away), be aware that it uses a different gun! It's not a rip off, they just have different mix ratios and one uses half the hardener (smaller tube) than the other, all share the same tips though.

Quote:
I'm not going for speed (10s) and really value reliable over anything else.
Take your time, be extra careful and pay attention when gluing in the wing mounting formers, there are a few ways to do it but I've found trying to tack them with CA can get the CA in some bad places, like wicked into the brackets in effect gluing the carbon spars in-place! My preferred method is to insert the wings before doing anything to them (lighter) and turn the entire thing upside down (bottom up) and use a fair amount of blue painters tape to align and tape the wings flush with the bottom, then turn the entire thing over and Aeropoxy the ends of the formers only. Then turn it back over, align the seams again and let dry overnight. Once dry, remove the wings and glue the fomers completely with Aeropoxy. Lots of other things you'll encounter, for me wing mounting is a biggie, stab gluing to the carbon spars perhaps the other "take it slow" item, the rest is really a pleasure to build...

Jack
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:08 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,460 Posts
Quote:
One tip, if you buy vPoxy (most folks like aeropoxy for formers and vPoxy for horns, pushrox exits or any place you will see the glue on the exterior (like when you glue the vertical fin, you can wipe off the excess and the little bit of clear you see in the seam won't be visible unless 6" away), be aware that it uses a different gun! It's not a rip off, they just have different mix ratios and one uses half the hardener (smaller tube) than the other, all share the same tips though.
Jack
Well, different plunger. You can use the same gun and just swap out the plunger piece.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
Thanks Ron...just trying to keep up with you!

This has been a hard summer to get into the flying mode, too many other things going on with the kids. But the maiden for sure is going to be at Oakdale.

We have a war bird fun fly at our field this weekend...but maybe July 9th I can get a pass from the wife and get the Sparks up again.

How's the F-18 coming along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
Right on Shawn!!
can't wait to see it... hey when you going to come fly with me at oakdale?
wait until you see the runway now, they redid the whole thing

nice place for your sweet electra to maiden ,,,,,hint hint
and I know a camera man that just got a new HD cam (that would be me )

your going to love that puppy! way to go