HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sofa King, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:39 PM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
Build Log
Beercat updated version..... Build Log?

i re-made the ribs .... laser cut the ribs and formers....maybe an easier build?
Sofa King is offline Find More Posts by Sofa King
Last edited by Sofa King; Jun 16, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 09:04 PM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
i started with the top wing.....use the pointy ended ribs

the strut mount was ply and one half traced balsa....seperated with 1/8 balsa...you cant see it good in the pics but there is a small 1/8 balsa spacer sandwiched between the main spars and the strut pocket

the plan called for full sheeted wings....i am sheeting about 2/3's of each side.....

the wing mount plate isnt installed yet but it will be as the plans show for the top wing...used the same way on the bottom wing

the next steps not yet shown.....3/32 web....wing mount plate front....i would like to install some nav lights???we'll see i guess.....and then sheet the top of the top wing to match the bottom of the top wing.....
Old May 16, 2011, 07:14 PM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
here's a couple more top wing pics

after the pics i sheeted the other side of the wing.....sheer webs also added
Old May 16, 2011, 07:34 PM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
oops.....i also need to figure out where i want the servoes to go.....i am thinking two standard on their sides .....bottom wing just to the outer fuse.....the plan shows one in the center......also it looks like the wing struts just float? i may rig up some kind of pin to fasten them to each wing....we'll see.
Last edited by Sofa King; May 16, 2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:12 PM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
here is about where i am now....

the plane is starting to take shape
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:40 PM
Memb DEAF R/C
Dallas, TX
Joined Nov 2005
1,081 Posts
Looking good so far. I lost one of these that was about 60% complete as a fallout of Katrina. Was to have been nitro. I like what you have done with the ribs. Have you done anything for laser cutting the fuselage components. I really thing that if built for it, this would make a nice electric conversion. Would like to talk sometime about laser cut parts for one when you have time, no rush. You can email me at ronr214@att.net

Ron
Dallas, Tx
RonR214 is offline Find More Posts by RonR214
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:59 PM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
thanks.....i always have time to talk planes....its also funny you mentioned an electric conversion.....i agree it would make a great electric....

i'll send you an email.........
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:31 PM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
i installed the servo mount .....then the upper wing mounting plates....these as well as the lower wing plates i desided to double these up on the fuse and use blind nuts and cap screws......a little light trimming on the top wing seat at the fuse....and it seems to fit pretty good.....the next steps will be to sturdy up the aft fuse and start working out the tail feathers and a nav light back there somewhere
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:36 PM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
.....there is still a great deal of sanding and filling to do....i just wanted to make sure it all fit to this point......
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:54 PM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
anyone have an idea about a cowl that might work ? i tried fiberglass specialties and they didnt have one for a beercat......i guess i could try to make one....i'm not looking forward to that.....
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:42 AM
Memb DEAF R/C
Dallas, TX
Joined Nov 2005
1,081 Posts
I thought I had a 3 view of the Beercat, but don't see it right now. Will keep looking for it over the weekend.

How about building it up the old fashioned way, stacks of balsa cut close to form and then when all glued together, gets final sanding to shape. Inside is hollowed as you cut the formers out.

I don' remember what Midwest had in the kit either (Obviously, memory is not so good these days).

LazerWorks has the Midwest plans listed so they might be able to help on a cowl,
Code:
http://www.lazer-works.com/list.html
, close to the bottom of the page.

Ron
Last edited by RonR214; Jun 17, 2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:03 AM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
thanks ron.....i just sent them an email to see if i could get one.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 11:02 AM
Memb DEAF R/C
Dallas, TX
Joined Nov 2005
1,081 Posts
Did you ever hear back on a cowl?

Ron