SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2011, 01:49 PM
Bulgaria,Vidin
Joined Jan 2010
106 Posts
Idea
90mm Sukhoi PAK FA T-50 by Podiumjets, suggestion by me

Hi fella's how is it going ? I`m highly excited to suggest a offer comming from the future .
I`m talking about the PAK FA project started from Mihai (podiumjets) . As I`m interested more in 90mm edf`s the smaller size
that airframe would not satisfie me. So we had a little talk with Mihai. We got to a good point that it is pointless
construcing a plane that might suffer not enough interest.
So just an idea is if there is more people interested like me in this airframe in 90mm version we can get it rolling and have it been produced.
We can disscous everything about the plane here and come up with a general desison for lenght, span, edf size, twin or single edf, place for retracts or without it and etc. and etc..

When we are readdy with the model we want we give it to him and he gives us a price. I think thats a good way to get to the end of it fair

Uhh, let me start with what I`m thinking of that plane characteristics :
Around 1,60m in length, 1,40m in span. 2 separate turbine tubes for 2x90mm fans. Place for electrick retracts, not so worried about their scale look as the real thing is still in development. I guess that`s all for now.
Please if somebody is interested in this project, don`t hesitate to write here or pm me or Mihai .

Arrivederchi from me and happy flying

P.S. Here is the thread with twin 55mm version (and only) - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=pak+fa. You can tell by the looks of it that in bigger size this baby would be just smashing , wouldn it
Mario_Shinobi is offline Find More Posts by Mario_Shinobi
Last edited by Mario_Shinobi; May 11, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 12:58 AM
Bulgaria,Vidin
Joined Jan 2010
106 Posts
Anybody here...? Really ??! I mean just look at it

That bird looks outstanding
And ones made by podiumjets there is no doubt in my mind that it will be finished with high quallity touch.

One more thing - in my opinion it`s allmost a crime not to consider this project as it gives us a chance to have it done like we want to . Not like buying an chineese airframe and after that saying '' they could have done that, reinforced there'' and stuff like that . We can have it the way we want it . And last but not least - the price. I`m pretty sure that it would be unbeatabble conparing it with the end product.

Think on it . Have fun flying
Old May 11, 2011, 03:19 AM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
I would love one but not in 90mm though 70mm or giant 58" with twin 64mm fans. I love the jet!!! A J-20 would also be pretty neat.
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old May 11, 2011, 05:46 AM
maghull , merseyside
Joined Aug 2010
254 Posts
Love the plane but a twin 90mm would be a bit too big for flying here. Twin 64mm would be ideal as easy to transport and still able to have a bit of power. Twin 70mm would be an option but tends to be too big for people wanting a hand launched version. Results will be interesting though.
BRIARCROFT is offline Find More Posts by BRIARCROFT
Old May 11, 2011, 05:48 AM
Romānia, Bihor, Oradea
Joined Feb 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
I would love one but not in 90mm though 70mm or giant 58" with twin 64mm fans. I love the jet!!! A J-20 would also be pretty neat.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=pak+fa

64 EDFs

Take care,
Mihai
www.podium-jets.com
podiumjets is offline Find More Posts by podiumjets
Old May 11, 2011, 06:00 AM
Bulgaria,Vidin
Joined Jan 2010
106 Posts
So glad of the interest shown here . Ok, lets discouss little bit.
I`m willing to accept the 2x70mm suggestion, but 64 fans seems little small tought... 70 mm is good . I don`t think that it would be problem for hand launcing it with that size fans. There are many videos of people hand launching a FlyFly MiG29. If that could be hand launced - everything can

New video Mig29 flyfly Maiden flight handlaunch (1 min 26 sec)

That ain`t a small jet guys, don`t forget it
Last edited by Mario_Shinobi; May 11, 2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old May 11, 2011, 06:51 AM
Romānia, Bihor, Oradea
Joined Feb 2011
120 Posts
Hello all,

At this point it wasn't conceived for 70mm EDF's, but if you take a look in it's thread, you'll see it has tapered thrust tube. At this moment, the biggest diameter in there is 70mm. Depending on your external diameter of your 70mm EDF, you might be able to fit it in. Of course, needs abit of sanding, but it can be done quite easily.

As a recommendation, you would need to glass that part, since the thickness of the walls maybe wouldn't be enough.

Also, cutout the rims of the 70mm EDF.

So, in few words, it does the job.

Take care,
Mihai
podiumjets is offline Find More Posts by podiumjets
Old May 11, 2011, 12:14 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,249 Posts
I'm sure a twin 90mm would be great for some people, no doubt, but for most it's impractical in terms of size (storage, transport, flying area), not to mention the cost of twin 90mm units in a foamy! There's a reason the market is flooded with 70mm and 64mm aircraft...........it's where the demand is. I'll stick with a twin 64mm Pak-Fa.

If you drum up enough demand for a twin 90mm, it would sure be impressive though.
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old May 11, 2011, 01:22 PM
Bulgaria,Vidin
Joined Jan 2010
106 Posts
Sadly, you`re right SMoriss. It`s true that it is hard to put in a car twin 90mm moster jet, after that your wife has to kill you for taking the whole basement with it and stuff like that. On the other hand, when just kicking the throttle to WOT for a sec on a twin 90 you say WOW. After that when you here a twin 70 or 64 - it sounds like a mosquitto . Don`t mean to offend anyone, thats my point of view . Hopefully we gather some ammount of customers who want twin90. For now it`s just me and my crazy enough dream
Old May 11, 2011, 01:24 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,249 Posts
It's not crazy, you just clearly have more space than most!
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old May 11, 2011, 02:32 PM
Bulgaria,Vidin
Joined Jan 2010
106 Posts
Heh I`m prety sure that I have much smaller place than you think. 74 sq. meters apartment and a small car - 2 doors even. But it would never be a problem to trow out some stuff and take this baby home
Old May 12, 2011, 03:04 AM
maghull , merseyside
Joined Aug 2010
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Shinobi View Post
Heh I`m prety sure that I have much smaller place than you think. 74 sq. meters apartment and a small car - 2 doors even. But it would never be a problem to trow out some stuff and take this baby home
Putting a 1.6m long 90mm twin Pak FA in a small two door car - now that a video I want to see You would have to throw out some seats ! Lol
BRIARCROFT is offline Find More Posts by BRIARCROFT
Old May 13, 2011, 11:56 AM
Bulgaria,Vidin
Joined Jan 2010
106 Posts
If we get to a nice conlcusion be sure I`ll post that particular video
Old May 14, 2011, 12:32 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,381 Posts
The overall size allows one to add landing gear, one of the greatest weight penalties in this class. No need to add weight by going to a twin 90mm when a twin 70mm will push better than a 1:1 TWR.
I think this was more in the other thread but re gear.... adding a mount.... Russians like to rotate thier gear.
This rotates in and around the intake duct. So if the duct isn't previously designed to accommodate allowing for scale sized wheels to be fitted in the area of the intake, it could make even a custom refit difficult.

edit: thinking further the 70mm for this size allows for better scale as the intakes can be smaller to handle the slight snaking of the duct to accommodate the main wheels.

If they don't rotate they will stick out or will have to be these tiny wheels.
It doesn't look like this is being considered with the straight intakes making this really a belly lander.
hopefully this helps answers to flush in gear mounts or not. If not the design in making the decision for the buyer.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; May 14, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:31 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
plus, don't forget. some of the newer 70mm fans are putting out some decent thrust numbers. look at the all alloy fan from Mach...............up to 6.95 lbs. imagine this foam beast at a decent size, with two of those pushing out 14 lbs of thrust. I think that's more than enough to make you say WOW, without breaking the bank. even two WM400MKII's pushing out 10 lbs of thrust would be more than sparkling. there's really no need for a 90mm and 70mm is a smarter way to go, so says the masses. just my two cents worth.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7