SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2011, 03:12 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Discussion
Blade MSR and Blade SR TX

I have a blade SR at the moement and have been offered a BNF MSR for a good price

Would I be able to use the TX from my SR? I know the instructions say not to but Id just like to double check
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 03:37 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
According to the Horizon Hobby website, the RTF TX's from an MSR and 120 SR are not interchangeable.

It's confusing to me as both TX's are listed as the same part number, though are clearly different:

MSR MLP4DSM TX

120 SR MLP4DSM TX

Perhaps the TX is performing different mixing functions per heli, and that's why they are not interchangeable? Could possibly be that some channels are reversed between the two helis also.

Surely there's a setting or dip switch you can adjust to allow one TX to work with the other heli?
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old May 10, 2011, 03:54 AM
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Thats what I thought..... Also the TX with the Blade SR (not the 120SR) is 6 channel

I think its a no go. Here is some quotes from the manual

Transmitter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . HP6DSM 2.4GHz DSM 6-channel (included)*

* CCPM Helicopter programming is specific to Blade SR. Please do not attempt to use transmitter with any other
CCPM helicopter

Ah well never mind.....
Old May 10, 2011, 04:02 AM
banging head on wall
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Feb 2010
1,199 Posts
The SR transmitter has mixing that is specific to the SR. The MSR would be set up in aircraft mode. I think that I read that one of the switches is air/heli and someone said they flew a plane. This was just after I got my SR, the first shipment so its been awhile you might search some of the SR threads sorry I'm not much help I looked at my switches but they are just numbered
skyeblu is online now Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old May 10, 2011, 04:17 AM
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
For added reference, the following are the functions and available settings for each dip switch (default settings for the Blade
SR are underlined):
Dip Switch 1*: Up – Channel 1/Throttle channel reversed Down – Channel 1/Throttle channel normal
* For safety, channel 1/throttle channel reversing can only be changed when the transmitter is powered off. All other dip
switch positions/functions can be changed while the transmitter is powered on.
Dip Switch 2: Up – Channel 2/Aileron channel reversed Down – Channel 2/Aileron channel normal
Dip Switch 3: Up – Channel 3/Elevator channel reversed Down – Channel 3/Elevator channel normal
Dip Switch 4: Up – Channel 4/Rudder channel reversed Down – Channel 4/Rudder channel normal
Dip Switch 5: Up – Channel 5/Gear channel reversed Down – Channel 5/Gear channel normal
Dip Switch 6: Up – Channel 6/Pitch channel reversed Down – Channel 6/Pitch channel normal
Dip Switch 7: Up – Helicopter Mode (Channel 6 becomes pitch channel) Down – Airplane Mode (Channel 6 becomes an
extra aileron channel)
Dip Switch 8*: Up – 120-degree Cyclic Collective Pitch Mixing (CCPM) Down – Standard mixing
*Only functions when in helicopter mode.
Dip Switch 9*: Up – Rudder/Elevator mixing Down – No mixing
*Only functions when in airplane mode, and no function if switch 10 is in the up position.
Dip Switch 10*: Up – Elevator/Aileron mixing Down – No mixing
*Only functions when in airplane mode, and no function if switch 9 is in the up position.

So I might be able to set it up in Aircraft mode then?
Old May 10, 2011, 04:24 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,199 Posts
I found these switch functions for the HP6DSM so it might be possible with with switch 7 for airplane mode and then a matter of reversing other channels if needed

From the blade cp pro 2 manual For added reference, the following are the functions and available settings for each dip switch (default settings for
the Blade CP Pro 2 are underlined):
Dip Switch 1*
UpóChannel 1/Throttle channel reversed
DownóChannel 1/Throttle channel normal
*For safety, channel 1/throttle channel reversing can only be changed when the transmitter is powered off. All
other dip switch positions/functions can be changed while the transmitter is powered on.
Dip Switch 2
UpóChannel 2/Aileron channel reversed
DownóChannel 2/Aileron channel normal
Dip Switch 3
UpóChannel 3/Elevator channel reversed
DownóChannel 3/Elevator channel normal
Dip Switch 4
UpóChannel 4/Rudder channel reversed
DownóChannel 4/Rudder channel normal
Dip Switch 5
UpóChannel 5/Gear channel reversed
DownóChannel 5/Gear channel normal
Dip Switch 6
UpóChannel 6/Pitch channel reversed
DownóChannel 6/Pitch channel normal
Dip Switch 7
UpóHelicopter Mode (Channel 6 becomes pitch channel)
DownóAirplane Mode (Channel 6 becomes an extra aileron channel)
Dip Switch 8*
Upó120-degree Cyclic Collective Pitch Mixing (CCPM)
DownóStandard mixing
*Only functions when in helicopter mode.
Dip Switch 9*
UpóRudder/Elevator (Ruddervator/V-Tail) mixing
DownóNo mixing
*Only functions when in airplane mode, and no function if switch 10 is in the up position.
Dip Switch 10*
UpóElevator/Aileron (Elevon) mixing
DownóNo mixing
*Only functions when in airplane mode, and no function if switch 9 is in the up position.
Old May 10, 2011, 06:00 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Sorry for my mistake, I thought you meant the 120 SR.

Looking at what you posted above, it certainly seems possible to switch the TX into aircraft mode and reverse any channels where needed.

It may work, but I am intrigued by the reason that Horizon state "The HP6DSM transmitter included with the Blade SR was specifically designed for the Blade SR Helicopter and is not recommended for use with other aircraft."

Is it possible that the HP6DSM has some built in mixing that would be undesirable if used with the MSR? That's the only reason I can think of for them to mention not to use the SR TX with any other aircraft.

I know the MSR does have some mixing built into it to attempt to help smooth out some of its undesirable flying traits, but am unsure if this is built into the TX or the RX. Seeing as the same mixing is present even when using a Spektrum TX, I'm inclined to believe the mixing is part of the TX.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old May 10, 2011, 06:10 AM
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
I read somewhere the reason was to do with pre programmed exponential or something like that. Can't for the life of me find where I read it now tho.

Im toying with the idea of changing the RX and going over to my Turnigy 9x in the SR

Its either that or step up to a DX7 or DX8 which will get expensive as I have other RC models that I use the 9x on
Old May 10, 2011, 01:16 PM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,199 Posts
Must of been late when I put up my post about switches I did not see that you already found them.LOL
as for not using the transmitter for airplanes the caution they give is not to use it for other ccpm helicopters.
* CCPM Helicopter programming is specific to Blade SR. Please do not attempt to use transmitter with any other
CCPM helicopter
Old May 11, 2011, 12:45 AM
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu View Post
Must of been late when I put up my post about switches I did not see that you already found them.LOL
as for not using the transmitter for airplanes the caution they give is not to use it for other ccpm helicopters.
CCPM helicopter
Ah I see! now it becomes clear.
Thats handy because theres a BNF Plane in my local hobby store I quite fancy but was put off by needing another TX