HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2011, 08:06 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
I think the first thing Reagan would have done was to cut spending and do everything possible to shrink government. I think his next step would probably be to raise taxes in the following year or two. He hated big government and rightly said the line "government is not the solution, government is the problem". I don't doubt that he would probably raise taxes some but only after he showed good faith and had big cuts to the government.

Honestly, I think that probably is the right move. If they cut hundreds of billions in spending I think they would have support from the masses to raise taxes to cover the rest. That way everyone would have skin in the game.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old May 10, 2011, 08:32 AM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
I think the first thing Reagan would have done was to cut spending and do everything possible to shrink government. I think his next step would probably be to raise taxes in the following year or two. He hated big government and rightly said the line "government is not the solution, government is the problem". I don't doubt that he would probably raise taxes some but only after he showed good faith and had big cuts to the government.

Honestly, I think that probably is the right move. If they cut hundreds of billions in spending I think they would have support from the masses to raise taxes to cover the rest. That way everyone would have skin in the game.
I agree but this current budget debate isn't about debt. It's about strangling the social programs like Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid which Republicans abhor.
Rufcut is online now Find More Posts by Rufcut
Old May 10, 2011, 08:37 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufcut View Post
I agree but this current budget debate isn't about debt. It's about strangling the social programs like Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid which Republicans abhor.
Reforming those things are on the table and they should be. Everything should be on the table. Those social programs need fixed. Fixing them does not mean destroying them as the left likes to claim. Keeping things as they are is certain failure. But things like defense, foriegn aid and other issues need to be looked at as well. There are tough choices that need to be made.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:55 AM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
Reforming those things are on the table and they should be. Everything should be on the table. Those social programs need fixed. Fixing them does not mean destroying them as the left likes to claim. Keeping things as they are is certain failure. But things like defense, foriegn aid and other issues need to be looked at as well. There are tough choices that need to be made.
Everything you say is true. The problem is that isn't the Republican position.
Everything is NOT on the table.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:06 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Everything you say is true. The problem is that isn't the Republican position.
Everything is NOT on the table.
The only thing not on the table according to Beohner is raising taxes at this time. What has been proposed is a restructuring of programs to save money. No one has proposed killing and of the social safety net programs. I've even heardsome republicans talking about phasing out paid medicare for people earning over $125k per year.

It seems to me everything really is on the table. The problem is the left keeps trying to scare people by saying the republicans want to take things away. That is simply not true. Instead of the left putting forth a fix of their own all they do is attack anyone coming up with ideas on how to fix our issues. That is not a way to move forward. When the houses are split they need to come to the table to work and not just use fear tactics.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:39 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
Did the only logical thing... RAISED TAXES!!!!

Quote:
As governor of California, Reagan had agreed to the largest tax increase in the state's history to deal with the $200 million deficit.
1. Regan also cut spending. College tuition was no longer free, and the students rioted.
2. Regan left the state of CA with a budget surplus, which Gov. Moonbeam then promptly spent.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old May 10, 2011, 10:30 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
1. Regan also cut spending. College tuition was no longer free, and the students rioted.
2. Regan left the state of CA with a budget surplus, which Gov. Moonbeam then promptly spent.
.....but let's don't mention the surplus that Governor Moonbeam added to greatly during his first tour in Sacremento..

Dead Kennedys - California Über Alles (3 min 27 sec)
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old May 10, 2011, 10:43 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
94% tax bracket..

the good old days..

carter and clinton...?

...and you are using "what would Ronald Reagan do" as an positive example ?? ...to justify increasing taxes.

What do they put in that stuff??
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 10, 2011, 11:47 AM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
The only thing not on the table according to Beohner is raising taxes at this time. What has been proposed is a restructuring of programs to save money. No one has proposed killing and of the social safety net programs. I've even heardsome republicans talking about phasing out paid medicare for people earning over $125k per year.

It seems to me everything really is on the table. The problem is the left keeps trying to scare people by saying the republicans want to take things away. That is simply not true. Instead of the left putting forth a fix of their own all they do is attack anyone coming up with ideas on how to fix our issues. That is not a way to move forward. When the houses are split they need to come to the table to work and not just use fear tactics.
This is a clear case of cognitive dissonance.
You can't have it both ways. Half the budgetary equation IS off the table. Why not just admit that is the Republican position?
Old May 10, 2011, 11:52 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
This is a clear case of cognitive dissonance.
You can't have it both ways. Half the budgetary equation IS off the table. Why not just admit that is the Republican position?
I already did say teh only thing off of the table was raising taxes at this time. That is a very clear republican position. I guess I should have been more clear for you to point out what I meant was everything "else" is on the table. All other options besides raising taxes at this point. There are no sacred cows in the budget unless you consider raising taxes a sacred cow.

I thought it was clear what I meant was everything was on the table for cost cutting. I'll try to do better for you next time.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:58 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,865 Posts
Quote:
I already did say teh only thing off of the table was raising taxes at this time. That is a very clear republican position. I guess I should have been more clear for you to point out what I meant was everything "else" is on the table. All other options besides raising taxes at this point. There are no sacred cows in the budget unless you consider raising taxes a sacred cow.

I thought it was clear what I meant was everything was on the table for cost cutting. I'll try to do better for you next time.
According to a very good book:

Quote:
And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.
Quote:
or which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,
Two lessons that government at all levels should learn.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old May 10, 2011, 11:59 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Quote:
I already did say ..the only thing off of the table was raising taxes at this time.

I thought it was clear what I meant was everything was on the table for cost cutting.

Unfortunately what you say ...is inconvenient for the current discussion..

Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 10, 2011, 12:01 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljimb0 View Post

Unfortunately what you say ...is inconvenient for the current discussion..

And what they say is inconvenient to our pocket books!

I prefer the inconvenience of the spenders rather than those of us who pay taxes.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old May 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
Your post illustrates a little problem with elementary school math. It appears that if you ignore the budget of 2009 which Obama administered, he will only over borrowed a little over 3 trillion dollars over those two years. Unless something changes that means that he will actually force the borrowing to over 6 trillion dollars during his first 4 budgets. If he gets a second term he will probably, included role over interest, over 14 trillion during his presidency......that is a record that will choke the future.
And your post demonstrates a bit of a problem reading a calendar. Obama wasn't inaugurated until Jan 2009. The FY 2009 budget had already been in place for 3 months. BHO's first budget didn't "hit" until FY 2010.

That is precisely why this guy produced a spreadsheet of historical deficits and did a 2nd comparison which would ignore the 1st year of each term since that reflected the previous adminstration's budget.

For FY 2010, the Obama administration has produced a $120b reduction in the deficit.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old May 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooeeee! View Post
.....but let's don't mention the surplus that Governor Moonbeam added to greatly during his first tour in Sacremento..
I don't recall that. I do recall the hearings where Brown was unable to account for where the extra money went.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy