SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2011, 02:27 AM
Joined Aug 2006
21 Posts
Discussion
Working Fishing Trawler - help needed!

Hello all,

So I've got this crazy idea in my head that I want to sail RC boats on the sea from a beach or pier. I know this involves risk as well as a lot of extra effort, but for me the appeal is in that challenge. So that being said, let me introduce you to my idea.

My project plan so far involves:

-Sea going RC model, designed to withstand waves, rolling sea, etc.
-Working lights.
-Working winch gear, with line catch release in case of snags etc.
-Small cc petrol engine and generator, rather than just battery alone.
-Waterproofed electrics, etc.
-Standby "Rescue" boat in case of failure.

I want to build something along the lines of the Fair Isle class by Fairmile of Berwick, with a cruiser stern, whaleback, and amidships gutting shelter. I've found a few good hulls as a starting point, and want to stick with a scale of between 1:12 and 1:24.

This will be my first scratch built RC model. I've got a fair idea of how to waterproof everything, and make the boat as wave resistant as possible, I just want some advice, specifically on the petrol engine aspect.

I know that I need a reciever, a battery, a lighting circuit with distribution board, two servos, two motors, and two ESCs. The prop will be in a kort nozzle.

Beyond that I have no idea about specific parts, transmitters, batteries, etc. or how I will go about generating electricity on board. I anticipate that I will need to generate my own electric because of the increased power demand imposed by the sea.

At any rate I really hope you can all help me and offer some advice. I look forward to reading your responses.

Regards,

Scott.
Blakjak is offline Find More Posts by Blakjak
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2011, 04:33 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts

22 metres gives you 1800 mm in 1:12 scale,and 920 mm in 1:24. 920 mm is not going to be big enough for IC power.

How long do you intend to sail for, Motor/Gen is way overcomplicating the modest power requirements of that style of hull, better with a big torquey 24 volt low RPM motor, 24 volt 12 Ah will give you several hours runtime with the right setup, the other gear is inntermittant use and not likely to give major power consumption issues.

Transmitters you will have to go for a multi channel set, probably as far as a expandable unit such as the F-14 radios, they can have banks of switches added or other functions,

http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/ro...os-1733-0.html

Electrics are easy, a watertight box, as simple as a tupperware container

Heres to an interesting project

Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old May 10, 2011, 05:45 PM
Joined Aug 2006
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au View Post
22 metres gives you 1800 mm in 1:12 scale,and 920 mm in 1:24. 920 mm is not going to be big enough for IC power.

How long do you intend to sail for, Motor/Gen is way overcomplicating the modest power requirements of that style of hull, better with a big torquey 24 volt low RPM motor, 24 volt 12 Ah will give you several hours runtime with the right setup, the other gear is inntermittant use and not likely to give major power consumption issues.

Transmitters you will have to go for a multi channel set, probably as far as a expandable unit such as the F-14 radios, they can have banks of switches added or other functions,

http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/ro...os-1733-0.html

Electrics are easy, a watertight box, as simple as a tupperware container

Heres to an interesting project

Nick
Thanks for your very helpful post Nick!

I'd like to set up some kind of longline, for sea angling, and use the boat to deploy this. This will be a simple multiple hook rig with floats and a weighted end. So for this purpose a couple of hours of steaming around with all the lights on, fighting against the waves and currents, should be more than adequate. My experience with RC is not very recent, and when I last attemped it, boats had very little run time, of perhaps only half an hour at best. I guess battery technology has come along somewhat since then.

I'd imagine that a boat of say, 3 feet length by 1 foot beam, would be the minimum size that could efficiently sail in the sea. Would this be correct? I have seen a few people attempt it with smaller vessels and found that their boats were overpowered by chop.
Blakjak is offline Find More Posts by Blakjak
Old May 12, 2011, 03:02 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
I would go with the biggest size you are comfortable with handling, the boat wont handle more than a couple of knots current. If you can find a big 24 volt motor, look for something around 2000 rpm . Working in the marine industry I come across heaps of suitable motors from 3000 Gph bilge pumps, water pumps macerators etc, but a 200 watt 24 volt scooter motor would work as well spinning a 100 mm prop. This would have the torque you need for pulling a line. Draws about 5 amps so will give you over 2 hours on 12 AH batteries

A highly geared 700 can motor will also work well, you need abut a 10:1 reduction and still run on 24 volts.
Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au