HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2011, 08:07 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Discussion
Der Jager Stik... a half-A balsa build log

Here is my redention of two classic looking airplanes, Das Ugly Stick, and Der Jager biplane. I've combined the two airplanes into one nice looking plane - Der Jager Stik.
It uses a modified open cockpit Ugly Stick fuselage, and modified wings and tail feathers of Der Jager. I don't have full-size plans for either of these two airplanes, but used pics of them to come up with this one. (Open cockpit fuselage is from my Retro racer/Swindler planes)
I did a quick search for a plane like this, but could not find one.
I'll post the plans for a balsa build in my blog. Note, that the plans are un-proven. The builder must have some experience with balsa builds to make this one, as some parts might need slight altering to fit well. I'm using the plas for this build, and so far it has proven well enough to produce a usable airplane.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2011, 01:43 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Here is the way I make ribs. Makes accurate ribs for "hershery bar" wings. I have the wing halves done, ready for sanding.

Here is a link to the Der Jager biplane. incase anyone wanted to see what one looks like. I love this biplane, it looks aweome.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853508
Old May 09, 2011, 03:09 PM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
641 Posts
So far what you have assempled looks pretty good! Your wing construction looks very strong. But I am concerned about the sudden transition to the open cockpit coupled with hollowed out sides. Hopefully there will be doublers added on the inside. Just my opinion and everybodys got one. You have got a good eye for design.
Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old May 09, 2011, 03:58 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
Looks great, Rusty. I'll be watching your build, I'm sure I'll gain some new know-how as you progress.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old May 09, 2011, 04:23 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56 View Post
I am concerned about the sudden transition to the open cockpit coupled with hollowed out sides. Hopefully there will be doublers added on the inside. Just my opinion and everybodys got one. You have got a good eye for design.
Gene
I'm not sure if I follow your concerns. Sometimes I lack enough brains to understand people.
Thank you for the comments. I enjoy designing and building what I figure might be nice looking airplanes.
I intend to use TowerKote over the entire airframe. The holes were an attempt to lighten the fuselage, knowing I have a habit of building too heavy.
I'm pleased with the wing set, they are indeed strong, stiff, and resist twisting.
I'll build the tail feathers tonight. I think Adam, my nephew, who is building a plane using the same fuselage, will drop by and build his wings. We are unsure if he'll build Der Jager Stik, or one different. This is the beauty of designing one's own plane, it can change "just like that" to one's own tastes.
Old May 09, 2011, 04:25 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
Looks great, Rusty. I'll be watching your build, I'm sure I'll gain some new know-how as you progress.
This is exactly what I did to learn what I know. I asked (and still ask) a lot of questions, study other's builds, etc. This is a great hobby - plenty of people willing to share ideas, experiences, opinions, etc.
Old May 10, 2011, 02:33 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
I'm not sure if I follow your concerns.
Let's say that you have I-Beam construction with hollowed out webs starting at the cockpit extending all the way to the tail. What you have done it to remove the upper flange in the cockpit area thereby reducing the strength considerably in that area. This is where the fuselage will break and likely in a minor mishap. You might be able to solve this by adding a cockpit floor.
Gene
Old May 10, 2011, 03:36 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Let's say that you have I-Beam construction with hollowed out webs starting at the cockpit extending all the way to the tail. What you have done it to remove the upper flange in the cockpit area thereby reducing the strength considerably in that area. This is where the fuselage will break and likely in a minor mishap. You might be able to solve this by adding a cockpit floor.
Gene
Sounds like a course I remember from college, Statics. There was a checklist we used to start building the equations;
Induced external stress
Revealed internal stress
Support reactions
Self weight
The structures looked intuitive, but when you started intermixing the possible applied external forces your head would explode.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old May 10, 2011, 04:23 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
We were going to add cockpit floors, seat and dash board, with a pilot head.
Old May 10, 2011, 07:34 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
We were going to add cockpit floors, seat and dash board, with a pilot head.
That sounds very good!
I just couldn't help myself, my profession is mechanical engineering and sometimes I don't know when to keep my mouth shut. Please forgive.
Gene
Old May 10, 2011, 02:56 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Quote:
That sounds very good!
I just couldn't help myself, my profession is mechanical engineering and sometimes I don't know when to keep my mouth shut. Please forgive.
Gene
No appoligy needed, Gene. I figured there was education in your initial post, I just didn't "get it". I figure you're speaking about the lightening holes in the fuselage, all creating a weak spot near the open cockpit. Adding a floor will add some strength to this part of the fuselage. This floor will also seal the open cockpit from letting slobbering fuel get in the fuselage.
Please continue to share your thoughts. Its how we all learn.
Old May 10, 2011, 05:11 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,286 Posts
Looking good Rusty-Gunn... Keep it going...

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old May 10, 2011, 06:44 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
This morning, before work, I built the tail feathers. I didn't get a chance to posts pics, but will do so after work.
I am now at the point where I can begin sanding. After this I'll put on the TowerKote fabric.
BTW I found a one ounce shampoo conditioner bottle in the bathroom, and cleaned it out. I figure I'll use this one rather then the Sulivan tank.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
The rear wing and tail I built this morning. I'll get back to this build later, I've got some work to do first.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:43 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Adam came over to build his other wing half, and I'm busy with carving (I'll continue tomorrow). Anyhoo, here are some pics of my plane.