HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2011, 03:34 PM
Joined Sep 2004
135 Posts
Discussion
Will this work for an octocopter frame design?

Stupid question, but will a frame like this work for an octocopter? I ask because the arms don't go straight into the center of the frame as is typical. The lines in the picture represent the arms, the circles are the rotor blades movement. I'd be using the Hoverfly Pro board as controller. Thanks!

-Mike
webgeek is offline Find More Posts by webgeek
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2011, 01:43 AM
Joined Mar 2006
102 Posts
yes it will work, and has been done before
eLviSH is offline Find More Posts by eLviSH
Old May 09, 2011, 02:31 AM
MultiWiiHead
Corvallis OR
Joined Apr 2004
258 Posts
just remember that there will be some torque on the long arms... I wouldn't do them in wood, use alum or composite
Centurian is offline Find More Posts by Centurian
Old May 13, 2011, 01:59 PM
United Kingdom, England, Weston-super-Mare
Joined Jul 2010
478 Posts
Yes, of course it will work - but beware of having the blades as close to each other as your diagram represents: the airflows off the tips of adjacent props will interfere with each other and cause potential problems.

A wiser, more experienced builder than me reckons the rule-of-thumb should be to have one propeller diameter of space between adjacent propellers.
jes1111 is offline Find More Posts by jes1111
Old May 13, 2011, 02:40 PM
Consistently Inconsistent
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Feb 2011
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes1111 View Post
Yes, of course it will work - but beware of having the blades as close to each other as your diagram represents: the airflows off the tips of adjacent props will interfere with each other and cause potential problems.

A wiser, more experienced builder than me reckons the rule-of-thumb should be to have one propeller diameter of space between adjacent propellers.
I don't think that part highlighted in red is correct.
My MK Okto has less than an inch between blade tips.
For the "diameter" of the blade pattern to a have prop's length between blades, the arms would have to be very long.
kosins is offline Find More Posts by kosins
Old May 13, 2011, 03:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Weston-super-Mare
Joined Jul 2010
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosins View Post
I don't think that part highlighted in red is correct.
My MK Okto has less than an inch between blade tips.
For the "diameter" of the blade pattern to a have prop's length between blades, the arms would have to be very long.
That's why I attributed it to someone else - unfortunately cannot find the reference - he's on of the best acrobatic flyers I've seen . It makes sense to me, though - and just because many craft break the "rule" doesn't make it invalid.
jes1111 is offline Find More Posts by jes1111
Old May 13, 2011, 04:44 PM
$#|+
United States, CA, Orange
Joined May 2007
1,605 Posts
if you're building an Octo with 12" props and place a foot of space between the 8 props you would have a gigantic Octo
about 5 feet across

from my experience bigger MRs are more stable, but if you go too big you'll lose yaw authority.
i don't have any experience with the Hoverfly board so i can't judge but some boards are just fine with just 1-3 inches between props

Moe
mkmkmk13 is offline Find More Posts by mkmkmk13