HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2011, 10:41 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Idea
Fly Eagle Jet F-16 1:8 Scale Turbine to EDF Conversion?

Hello everyone

I have a big interest into the Fly Eagle Jet F-16 on a 1:8 Scale.

However most of the Fly Eagle Jet's are made for Turbines and not for EDF's.
I contacted them about how to convert it and how difficult it would be, but they have no experience with it at all.

Now I am asking if anyone here would have done that or would know how to do it or that you would know someone who has done that and post some information about it.

There are as good as no options for a full composite F-16 within the 1.5m-2m class for EDF's.

If anyone does know a quality F-16 Composite with a length reaching from 1.5-2 Meters, LET ME KNOW!

Or otherwise if you guys are familiar with this Fly Eagle F-16 on 1:8 Scale Size.

Regards and Happy Mothers Day!

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 10:51 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,878 Posts
The flyeagle F16 is total crap for EDF. It would take major mods to make it work. I wanted to go that route because its cheap but after looking at the inlet its THE worst inlet I have ever seen for EDF. Its a turbine only plane.

The yellow F16 is great for EDF and is 68 inches long and 44 inches wide so its over 1.5 meters. Its also very scale and not very expensive and a great flyer!

It also has scale gear and you can do an opening canopy system. I use a stumax 110-52 in this one.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old May 08, 2011, 02:26 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
The flyeagle F16 is total crap for EDF. It would take major mods to make it work. I wanted to go that route because its cheap but after looking at the inlet its THE worst inlet I have ever seen for EDF. Its a turbine only plane.

The yellow F16 is great for EDF and is 68 inches long and 44 inches wide so its over 1.5 meters. Its also very scale and not very expensive and a great flyer!

It also has scale gear and you can do an opening canopy system. I use a stumax 110-52 in this one.
Oh man, this really ...well, I should not say it.

The Fly Eagle F-16 really looks amazing and is the perfect size.

The YW F-16 is nice to, but well...your video is not of very high quality, besides he should have used the "zoom" button, or her.

I can't really see the high speed passes.
How fast is your F-16? Did you measure it yet ?
NS.
Old May 08, 2011, 02:45 PM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,853 Posts
There's always the Schreiner-Savex F-16
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old May 08, 2011, 03:58 PM
Weidenbach, Bavaria
Joined May 2007
467 Posts
Hallo NS,

keine Flyeagle aber eine Skymaster 1/8 umgebaut auf EDF, Fluggewicht in diesem Video 9560 gramm

Skymaster F16 Vasafan 120 neue Version (5 min 20 sec)

und hier ein paar infos über den Werdegang

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...lektroimpeller

Gruß
Reinhard
Liebrein is offline Find More Posts by Liebrein
Old May 08, 2011, 04:15 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebrein View Post
Hallo NS,

keine Flyeagle aber eine Skymaster 1/8 umgebaut auf EDF, Fluggewicht in diesem Video 9560 gramm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alR-wFXU9S4

und hier ein paar infos über den Werdegang

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...lektroimpeller

Gruß
Reinhard

Hallo Reinhard

Sehr schönes Video, aber die knappe 10kg sind mir eindeutig viel zu viel des guten

Ich denke ich muss mir mal was anderes als eine F-16 suchen, sonst werde ich so nicht glücklich.

Es gibt im Moment einfach eine Riesen Markt Lücke für grosse Impeller Jets.

Schade aber trotzdem merci.

Gruss aus der Schweiz

Pascal.
Old May 08, 2011, 04:16 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,878 Posts
The only video I have of my plane was with a cell phone and not the best quality. Getting good video for the internet is not a high priority for me. I have no clue how fast it is. Its a scale plane and flys scale speed. My sports planes are the go fast planes. I should be getting some good video from the SEFF event but those days I had 25mph gusting to 35mph winds.

You wont find any video of a flyeagle F16. Because it wont fly. A few did try if I rememebr right but failed.

Tam 1/8th
skymaster
yellow F16

The tam and skymaster has stick gear unless you mod with jetlegend gear.

These are the EDF proven airframes for F16s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer View Post
Oh man, this really ...well, I should not say it.

The Fly Eagle F-16 really looks amazing and is the perfect size.

The YW F-16 is nice to, but well...your video is not of very high quality, besides he should have used the "zoom" button, or her.

I can't really see the high speed passes.
How fast is your F-16? Did you measure it yet ?
NS.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old May 08, 2011, 04:32 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
The only video I have of my plane was with a cell phone and not the best quality. Getting good video for the internet is not a high priority for me. I have no clue how fast it is. Its a scale plane and flys scale speed. My sports planes are the go fast planes. I should be getting some good video from the SEFF event but those days I had 25mph gusting to 35mph winds.

You wont find any video of a flyeagle F16. Because it wont fly. A few did try if I rememebr right but failed.

Tam 1/8th
skymaster
yellow F16

The tam and skymaster has stick gear unless you mod with jetlegend gear.

These are the EDF proven airframes for F16s.
For sure is, that it isn't slow and the sound is pretty nice I must say, thanks to the StuMax Fan.

Tam has 2x F-16's. 1 for Turbine and a smaller one for EDF.
The smaller one is to small for my choice.
However he offers the conversion kit for his bigger F-16 Jet to EDF, which sounds good.

I can't see however which Landing Gear Package get's used for his F-16.
Since he build it lighter, it would go nicely with his T100 Fan wouldnt it?

NS.
Old May 08, 2011, 04:52 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
I considered a conversion of the FEJ F16 last year. I didn't go through with it because I thought it was a fairly high risk project. The fan would have fitted but the intake isn't really large enough (as gunradd has said) due to the front nose wheel having to be accomodated partially in the intake pipe (as seen in the second pic). Below are the measurements I took at the time. Might help you.

Just to add that the stock retracts on the F16 were a joke. It was quite comical to see them not working when I asked for a demo on a second hand example. One reason by itself not to go near this jet.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old May 09, 2011, 02:14 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit View Post
I considered a conversion of the FEJ F16 last year. I didn't go through with it because I thought it was a fairly high risk project. The fan would have fitted but the intake isn't really large enough (as gunradd has said) due to the front nose wheel having to be accomodated partially in the intake pipe (as seen in the second pic). Below are the measurements I took at the time. Might help you.

Just to add that the stock retracts on the F16 were a joke. It was quite comical to see them not working when I asked for a demo on a second hand example. One reason by itself not to go near this jet.
That is a real problem with such a small intake to get to the desired speed

A fan does fit in there, but the Intake is a real Problem.

Fly Eagle send me a mail that they are working on a new improved F-16 with a much lighter total weight then the current F-16, which will however be more expensive then the one's which are available right now from them.

@All

I had a look at various F-16's.

Ok so we have the following:

TamJets F-16 1/8 Scale (optional EDF Conversion Kit available)
TamJets F-16 1/9 Scale
Yellow Aircraft F-16
SkyMaster F-16

How are the Retract Quality on the TamJet's one? I never seen a picture of them up close, are they worth the 500 bucks for this 1/8 Scale Version?

Since I have now a Sports Jet, I need now a Fighter Jet, so that is why I wanna go with the F-16.

My friend want's to go with the Jet Legend F-15 and use EDF's in there, altough we don't know if it is going to fit or the intakes are big enough.

If you guys would have to choose, which F-16 from my list above would make it into your personal favorite fleet and why?

My biggest Buying Points which NEED to be met are:

Quality and Reliable Retract System with Functioning Gear Doors.
High Quality Composite Material
Easy Build / Good Instruction Manual
Fairly quick to build (15-25 Hours)
Perfect Intake
Quite Fast Speed Setup ( Not sure if the TJ100 will have enough Power for over 1:1 Ratio)
Reasonable Flight Times ( 4-6 Minutes with Throttle Management)

That would be it for now

NS.
Old May 09, 2011, 03:11 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer View Post
That is a real problem with such a small intake to get to the desired speed

A fan does fit in there, but the Intake is a real Problem.

Fly Eagle send me a mail that they are working on a new improved F-16 with a much lighter total weight then the current F-16, which will however be more expensive then the one's which are available right now from them.

@All

I had a look at various F-16's.

Ok so we have the following:

TamJets F-16 1/8 Scale (optional EDF Conversion Kit available)
TamJets F-16 1/9 Scale
Yellow Aircraft F-16
SkyMaster F-16

How are the Retract Quality on the TamJet's one? I never seen a picture of them up close, are they worth the 500 bucks for this 1/8 Scale Version?

Since I have now a Sports Jet, I need now a Fighter Jet, so that is why I wanna go with the F-16.

My friend want's to go with the Jet Legend F-15 and use EDF's in there, altough we don't know if it is going to fit or the intakes are big enough.

If you guys would have to choose, which F-16 from my list above would make it into your personal favorite fleet and why?

My biggest Buying Points which NEED to be met are:

Quality and Reliable Retract System with Functioning Gear Doors.
High Quality Composite Material
Easy Build / Good Instruction Manual
Fairly quick to build (15-25 Hours)
Perfect Intake
Quite Fast Speed Setup ( Not sure if the TJ100 will have enough Power for over 1:1 Ratio)
Reasonable Flight Times ( 4-6 Minutes with Throttle Management)

That would be it for now

NS.
Hi NS, I love your "fairly quick" expectation to build any model of this caliber. 15-25 h.? It's more like hundreds, You better shop around in various classifieds for good S/H model, there are heep of those around that you could easily convert, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old May 09, 2011, 03:45 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Hi NS, I love your "fairly quick" expectation to build any model of this caliber. 15-25 h.? It's more like hundreds, You better shop around in various classifieds for good S/H model, there are heep of those around that you could easily convert, Joe.

Hehe, I know

Well the TamJets F-18 can be build within 40-50 Hours.

I don't have to much freetime due to work, so that is the main reason.

I checked here the classifieds forum, but can't find any Jet at all, except Stone's Spark.

NS.
Old May 09, 2011, 03:49 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
how about one of the older Byron F-16's? I've seen a few of them for sale lately. just a thought.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old May 09, 2011, 07:29 AM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,472 Posts
I have a TJ F16 1/8 ( Feibao) fast build good intake for Stumax 110/45 with 12 cells .
Not the scale landing gear , you can fit Behotec retracts. Very easy to fly. I'm not sure but Stu Maxwell ( Stumax ) make a customs intake for this model.
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
Old May 09, 2011, 07:37 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
how about one of the older Byron F-16's? I've seen a few of them for sale lately. just a thought.
I am not to familiar with the Byron F-16

I want a quiet lightweight setup. Not sure if this older model will suit my needs

NS.