HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:03 PM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Thanks!
Have to say though that I went fishing today without an RC boat and had my best day here so far with 25 Peixe Porco (Triggerfish?) from the cliffs, which is almost 100lb of fish total. It's rarely this good though so the boat project is still very much on. I have been advised that Conger are likely at RC boat range.

We are lucky with our farming neighbours and are constantly invited for dinners so it's nice to be able to contribute to the pot as well.
Markx is offline Find More Posts by Markx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 07:36 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
I didn't know what a conger was. Is this it?
I really enjoy following your rc boat project but I can't visualise how all the PVC, etc. will look so it's hard to comment. Please post a picture of your first prototype.
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:45 PM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Yup, that's a Conger Eel. Usually they are a lot smaller though!
I'll post some boat pics as soon as I have more to show. The weather's too nice to work indoors at the moment, so doing other outdoor projects.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:01 PM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Here's the stage I'm at.
You can see the annoying bump at the bottom of the bow and the tube used for the rudder and keel.

The other day's catch (without boat!):
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:22 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markx View Post
Here's the stage I'm at.
You can see the annoying bump at the bottom of the bow and the tube used for the rudder and keel.

[/IMG]
Markx ,
Thanks for the pic.. I can see you're serious about this project.. Don't let me discourage you in any way..

the hull's short length is not going to give much stability and it's diameter looks awfully small/narrow to me for the size mast, weight of that hull material and the keel and (ballast?) and the size fish you might hook into with it..

.. and it's round so it's not going to be easy to mount stuff to it in it, and on it. I would have started with some thing like a Boogie Board or a large 1 by 3 foot by 6 inch plastic BOX with a seal-able top or hatch for stability because the probability of your radio gear surviving on something like this, in even the smallest wave action or healing over seems very slim. Good Luck JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:58 PM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Jim, that's all three sections of fibreglass pole tube side by side in the pic, not one. I'll probably go for the middle section which is about 5/8 " (15mm) thickest OD for the mast.

The hull length is about 34".

For the Sail arm servo I have a metal gear high power cheapie chinese one that cost about $8.
I think I will use some elastic to pre-load it the other way, which should save some battery life and stress.
Possible some strong bungee cord in the sheet would save breakages as well in case it gets turned in a breaker.
Last edited by Markx; Jun 19, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:15 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Jim, that's all three sections of fibreglass pole tube side by side in the pic, not one. I'll probably go for the middle section which is about 5/8 " (15mm) thickest OD for the mast.

The hull length is about 34".

For the Sail arm servo I have a metal gear high power cheapie chinese one that cost about $8.
I think I will use some elastic to pre-load it the other way, which should save some battery life and stress.
Possible some strong bungee cord in the sheet would save breakages as well in case it gets turned in a breaker.
Markx
Ok .. it looked shorter in the picture but I still think it's going to be a very unstable platform for fishing .. but what the heck.. good Luck.. I would advise strips of Styrofoam or packing popcorn inside the bow at least cause if it takes on water while your out a ways .. it may sink by the time you get back.. how much ballast will be in the keel? Are you still planning to some how tow out and release chum on the stern.. I would scrap that idea completely till you test sailing it.. that and forget the fishing line too initially.. I hate to sound so negative but I'll be amazed to see if it will sail at all without a lot of leaks..If it does then I'd add the other fishing things later. what are the two round PCV Pipe segments for in the picture? JimS
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:36 AM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
I'll be filling it with squirty building foam, so it should be unsinkable (unless a fish eats it).

The two extra round bits of tube are the raw material I used for the keel and rudder by heating them and squashing them flat.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 07:06 AM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Haven't progressed on this since the weather has been fine and the fishing from the shore very good anyway. Today it's raining and I'm having a rethink...

I don't like the PVC tube hull because it's difficult to put stuff into, so I'm now contemplating what to do next. I can either go for a ply chined boat or go the whole hog and do a proper GRP mould. (I've built a proper 1m class vacuum form before and did GRP moulding as a job for a while).

Now my question is:
What is the best monohull shape for windy conditions and relatively rough sea?
Would it be a wide TS2 skiff type?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:54 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Haven't progressed on this since the weather has been fine and the fishing from the shore very good anyway. Today it's raining and I'm having a rethink...

I don't like the PVC tube hull because it's difficult to put stuff into, so I'm now contemplating what to do next. I can either go for a ply chined boat or go the whole hog and do a proper GRP mould. (I've built a proper 1m class vacuum form before and did GRP moulding as a job for a while).

Now my question is:
What is the best monohull shape for windy conditions and relatively rough sea?
Would it be a wide TS2 skiff type?
Hello Markz,
that's tough to answer .. I'd been assuming you are primarily building a fishing rig.. and the sailboat boat part is secondary.. You'll need to have some stability on a platform which hauls the line out, drops a bunch of chum on request from a hatch in the back,. and can hopefully release the line if you catch something.. then sail it back in the winds and high seas without the a Big fish on the line too.. ultimately some compromises may be involved to do any one of these successfully.... I'd suggested a Boogie Board, But I think you are thinking along the lines of a ODOM or IOM.. so this should be an interesting video .. I sure hope you get some help filming this thing as you launch on its 1st day out... perhaps have a row boat on standby if you can't actually control it as you sail the boat and and the line that can possibly be snarled on the keel or bottom, much less with a fish too.. I actually think you might need three people.. one camera man with the telephoto lens to see it last as it sails into the horizon, one to handle the fishing pole and reel with the Big fish, and a a third person sail it.. I wish i could be there to help you.. JimS
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:40 PM
Santa Monica, California
Joined Jul 2010
9 Posts
I think you will be dissapointed. In order to transport a fishing line out just 100 yards you are going to need a very large boat to overcome the effects of drag and current.
Done_Deal is offline Find More Posts by Done_Deal
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:00 PM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Started on a ply 5-chine hull but I am very busy with all manner of other things presently, so this will be a slow project, sorry.
I notice the Tuna boats have started fishing this side of the Island and the Dolphins have been going crazy the last two weeks, saw a pod of over 150. The Tuna are about.

We shall see about the drag problem, you could be right (especially if there is weed about) but I will be using dyneema braid which is much smaller diameter than equivalent nylon line.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:53 AM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Hello again folks! Just to say I haven't abandoned this idea but have been very busy with other stuff (like getting ready to emigrate).
Back to the question of range:
Most likely I'll be using a 35mhz or 40mhz set as the 27mhz sets I have are all 2 channel.
I have read the info about doubling the receiver aerial length but 2 metres is not really feasible on a sailing boat so I was wondering if there are simple tricks to extend the TRANSMITTER range somehow.
For example one trick is to point the aerial at the model at a slight angle, which will put it on the edge of the "cone" of maximum tx strength.
But are there other ways?
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:14 AM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
I don't know anything about transmitters but isn't some kind of "earth plane" beneficial? Or could one come up with a more directional aerial to swap in?
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:49 PM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Would doubling the length of the transmitter aerial improve range?