Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 22, 2011, 09:53 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markx View Post
Hehehe Really itching to get started on this but for now I can only get all the components ready.

I'm still thinking of having the attachment point for the line on the bottom of the keel. If the keel and rudder have wire or something connecting them it should stop the fishing line fouling the rudder and the boat could turn circles without tangling the line.

Of course if more than one line were towed (to drop for bottom fishing) It couldn't do a 360 turn without putting a twist in them. The actual trace and weight/groundbait would have to be carried in transom compartments or cargo bays with downward opening doors.
Where there's a will there's a way..in spite of the compartments and bait etc.. i think you would be better off with the line velcro'd above the waterline and on the transom some where .. perhaps on the side of the lid that drops your chum. are you doing this in ON shore or off shore winds and in how much wind? it won't take much to foil the best plans of mice and men.
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
The thing with having line fix to the transom is that it will forever pull the stern around.
It's Dave's line loop, a fancy no-shroud + elevated sheet arrangement with the line fixing behind the mast or the line/s attaching at the bottom of the keel with cargo compartments in the transom (my fave, presently).

About the wind, theoretically I can have it blowing from wherever I want coz it's an island! You just go to another side of it. Furthest is about 40 minutes drive. In practice it's unpredictable because it's mostly cliffs and the wind does funny turbulent things close in.
Markx is offline Find More Posts by Markx
Old May 24, 2011, 07:10 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
The thing with having line fix to the transom is that it will forever pull the stern around.
It's Dave's line loop, a fancy no-shroud + elevated sheet arrangement with the line fixing behind the mast or the line/s attaching at the bottom of the keel with cargo compartments in the transom (my fave, presently).

About the wind, theoretically I can have it blowing from wherever I want coz it's an island! You just go to another side of it. Furthest is about 40 minutes drive. In practice it's unpredictable because it's mostly cliffs and the wind does funny turbulent things close in.
Please get this on Video..

if you can pull off sailing the RC boat out 300 meters, releasing the chum, catching a fish and getting it and the boat back in one piece without a big rats nest of fishing line tied up to all manner of coral and things including the boat .. i am pretty sure it will go viral on YouTube or a "Funniest Video's" show one..

i wish you well .. and hope it's a big one.. if you can simply go to the other side I'd just tie a big baloon a few feet above your bait and let it and the chum drift on out.. but what do i know ?? JimS
Last edited by jims123; May 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old May 24, 2011, 07:46 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Quote:
..In practice it's unpredictable because it's mostly cliffs and the wind does funny turbulent things close in.
I know this is probably not practical, economical, etc., but sure looks like fun and could go almost anywhere.

The Mighty Aqua Cat Dinglehopper! (6 min 3 sec)
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
Old May 24, 2011, 11:07 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatters View Post
I know this is probably not practical, economical, etc., but sure looks like fun and could go almost anywhere.
yes .. it definitely made it thru those waves with amazing speed and stability you won't see in any sailboat but i bet it costs a lot more than a balloon too..
Old May 24, 2011, 11:17 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,937 Posts
If that video is representative of the surf you run in I would not go the sailboat route. A sailboat will be flipped over quite easily in that type of wave action.
Take a lesson from a tried and true design and copy that boat. Although, I was amazed at the very poor performance of that boat. It listed less than 15 minutes running time (depending on throttle use and prop selection) for twin 9ah 12 volt batteries? There are large boats in our club with big Astro 25's that run around for 45 minutes on a pair of 2500mah nicad packs.
I would think a torpedo like, semi-submerged boat would be able to get the job done. And if you can fabricate it out of PVC plumbing pipes the construction cost would be very low.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old May 25, 2011, 02:14 AM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Thanks Jim, excellent find!
When I go fishing, I usually go dawn to dusk, so if I used electric powered, I'd be charging batteries a lot and have to be near the car. If the sail doesn't work then yes, I'll go for that for dropping bottom tackle but I want to try sail first because it could be used for trolling spinners and lures for hours on end.

Wondering how close in big game fish come? At 250m from shore, the depth here is usually between 30m to over 100m. A Marlin could just as likely go for the boat than the lure, especially with the motor running!
Old May 25, 2011, 06:11 AM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
... of course one could have a motor-sailboat

Dave, I agree, about the torpedo shape for an electric boat, just some drainpipe about 3' long heated up and made into a bow at the front and a cement or steel keel to keep it the right way up.
Without sails that ball thing looks quite useful for viz and self-righting. Going to try just sail first though, I want to keep it as cheap as possible because it'll probably be lost at sea.
Last edited by Markx; May 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old May 28, 2011, 04:01 AM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatters View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCjc...layer_embedded
LOL, have you lot looked at the RC boat-fishing videos there?

Should I go for just a mainsail without a jib like a laser or should I do the normal mainsail + jib setup?
Old May 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
LOL, have you lot looked at the RC boat-fishing videos there?

Should I go for just a mainsail without a jib like a laser or should I do the normal mainsail + jib setup?
Assuming you want to recoup your costs for this investment within 5 years.. even with fish at $50 per lb.. I'd keep it as simple as possible and build this exotic RC platform with it's chum compartments and it's under the keel fishing line etc.. Build it 1st then send us a photo, normally without a Jib you can't point as high to get out there or while "trolling" but I am wondering if this entire exercise is real, l or a pipe dream..send a pic please
Old May 28, 2011, 10:01 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
[QUOTE=Markx;18353631].....
Last edited by jims123; May 28, 2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old May 28, 2011, 03:54 PM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Assuming you want to recoup your costs for this investment within 5 years.. even with fish at $50 per lb.. I'd keep it as simple as possible and build this exotic RC platform with it's chum compartments and it's under the keel fishing line etc.. Build it 1st then send us a photo, normally without a Jib you can't point as high to get out there or while "trolling" but I am wondering if this entire exercise is real, l or a pipe dream..send a pic please
It's my next project. Like I said before, I am presently in GB and will be at my Azores house in a week getting started on this.

BTW, there are no model shops on the Island and everything has to be shipped in. My main hobby is actually RC planes, all scratch built and designed. Because there is no balsa available we instead use Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria Japonica) that is the main construction wood grown on the Islands. We get this free from the mill as it is the outer offcuts that are the lightest. I use a bandsaw and a homebuilt drum thicknessing machine to get it down to 1mm. I think our planes are the first ones to be made wholly using Cryptomeria instead of Balsa.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 06:08 PM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
OK, I'm on the Island and have started experimenting with 11cm OD (just over 4") PVC drainpipe for the hull. This is going to be very rough and functional just to test the concept. Shaped a bow of sorts but there is a bit of a bump at the base of it which can't be helped. Must resist the temptation to overdo it, it's just not worth making too nice.

It's a religious holiday here so it'll be a few days before I can get basic materials for the keel+rudder (1/8" steel sheet) and mast+booms (a cheapo fibreglass fishing pole). I have brought with me a 3ch 40mhz Hitec set and enough 2.9AH AA cells for 2x6V RX packs.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:11 PM
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Got nearly all the materials now, I think.

The rudder will be made from flattened 2"OD PVC tube, the keel from 3". This is quite easy to do. I'm using a heatgun for paint-stripping to soften the PVC tube. It's then flattened between two cold ceramic floor tiles. This gives a strong double-skinned flat sheet which can be made into a hydrodynamic section by inserting a rod to widen it at 1/3 chord.
(Incidentally: 4 1/2" OD PVC drainpipe can be slitted and heat-flattened into 13" wide sheet which should just about be vacuum/pressure formable. A cheap, glueable and accessible source of sheet stock if the fancy stuff isn't available)

For the mast and booms I bought a dead cheap (euros 3.5) 3-section telescopic fishing pole.
For the sails I have some lightweight yellow ripstop.

The main thing I need to figure yet is how to dump the cargo (weight+hooks) at the same time as releasing the line.
Bear in mind that the stern is round 4 1/2" tube.
Last edited by Markx; Jun 16, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 02:06 PM
Joined May 2011
44 Posts
Wuh !!!! You should get the McGiver Model builder of the year award if you pull this off. I am impressed with your ability to use what you have. We take a lot for granted over here in the States. Good Luck.
N5RMQ is offline Find More Posts by N5RMQ