HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2011, 03:11 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
Seems like flaps and the extra servos are just added weight you dont need on a plane this size
Agreed, we can do without, but flaps in this case are for the scale looks, a STOL aircraft must have flaps...

Yvo
Phaeton is online now Find More Posts by Phaeton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2011, 11:46 AM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
so I understand you wing mounting now but will there be hatches to allow access to the bolt/nut for wing removal?
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old Jun 08, 2011, 11:54 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_suruncle View Post
so I understand you wing mounting now but will there be hatches to allow access to the bolt/nut for wing removal?
Yes, there will be hatches for access to the bolts and to the connectors (servo's and lights). Hinge tape on one end and a magnet on the other. The hatch itself will be some kind of thin plastic. Probably the same material as the windscreen but painted.

Yvo

Last edited by Phaeton; Jun 08, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:17 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Wing tips

Wing tips are finished. Something like on the third image below (including the little navigation light ) will be added later, when everything is done and covering is on. Flat wings are easy to work on...

Score: 29 gram / 1.02 oz. per wing half now. It's getting worse

Yvo

Last edited by Phaeton; Jun 08, 2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:43 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Nope, doesn't work, still 29 gram...

Yvo

Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:03 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Ah, 28 gram Will be invisible anyway...

That's it for tonight

Yvo

Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:24 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
I was not only out of carbon but out of pianowire as well. But I did find a lost piece this morning. So another item on the todo-list done: Firewall reinforcement (outrunner will be attached to it).

I've had the opportunity once to see my motor going left and plane going right. Mid air. And after that both going down. Don't want that to happen again

Yvo

Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:15 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Intermezzo, stumbled upon them

(See also this thread)

Eventually I'll need very scale looking and very light Tundra tires**. I was already looking for the proper material to be used with Plastidip and I found it this evening.

My "requirements" were or are:
  • Very light material
  • Obtainable
  • That can be squeezed easily
  • Plastidip-able
  • And very dense material, so that a few layers of Plastidip spray give a smooth surface
  • Durable

Well, found it. Or them.
  • Only 13 gram / 0.46 oz. in it's original shape. I'll probably cut off 40% or so, leaves 8 gram for the rubber. So hub not included.
  • Every larger toy store has them
  • Very squeezable
  • Very smooth surface
  • Very dense
  • Durable

** Trexler's are a no-go, Dubro has some very nice looking Cub wheels, but they are way and far too heavy. There are also other inflatable tires that are available in or for our rc world, but I'm not going to hang 100 gram / 3.5 oz. wheels (each) under this cub. It's not only the overall added weight in itself, but also the fact that the heavier the wheels are, the more they tend to go their own way (F=m*a - yes, Newton is looking over my shoulder), the more robust and heavy the landing gear must be. And I intend to make the gear of 2mm carbon now opposed to 3mm on the previous Cub.

See the comments below the images.

(By the way, the last image is Photoshopped, not a finished ball )

Yvo
Last edited by Phaeton; Jun 09, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:26 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
No work on the Tundra tires this weekend, forgot to buy new (sharp) knives yesterday.

So something else done: Power through the wings and led's connected - navigation led's/lights will get their final location later. Servo control wires will go in after the servo's themselves are placed.

Score: 32 gram per wing half. Notice that the wiring is located in front of the CoG.

Yvo

Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:44 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Added lipo tray reinforcements for those occasions where pilot error or wind playing tricks will result in less optimal landings. A piece of ply will be added later.

Have to wait for new carbon to arrive for the tail feathers and the Tundra tire experiment starts when I have new knives.

Once the tailfeathers and wingtips are done, we've got a finished airframe without electronics, controls, propulsion, covering and wiring (except for the wings now) which should give a proper indication of how light a carbon build can be. Or what the weight of this bare airframe is.

Yvo

Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:47 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Tiny update

Lipo tray, reinforced with carbon strips to prevent it from bending (which will offset the servo's - or rudder/elevator) is in place. That little piece of ply is already 5 gram...

Example servo indicates where the rudder en elevator servo's will be located.

Yvo

Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:09 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
Thats a fine spot for the servos. Youll prolly need all the weight you can get to the front. I would suggest pull-pull for both the elevator and rudder with kevlar thread you can get in the fishing department at Wal-Mart.
This is the procedure for a Dualsky Breeze:

Rigging the control surface of elevator and rudder.
Mount the servos as in the picture below, step 25. This should work for most setups. Connect your servos
to the receiver and power the radio and receiver, with the servos set to Neutral position. Apply a small
piece of painters tape, to hold the elevator in the neutral position.
Attach the string to the elevator control horn, then pass it through the servo arm, farthest hole. Continue
over the servo arm and thread the string through the opposite end farthest hole. Now continue back to the
other side of the elevator and attach it to the control horn. Make sure the servo is powered on and set at
center and the elevator is in a neutral position. Now apply a small drop of CA on the servo control arm to
tack the string in place. Repeat the same process for the rudder

Works like a champ and its done in 2 minutes.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:24 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
Thats a fine spot for the servos. Youll prolly need all the weight you can get to the front. I would suggest pull-pull for both the elevator and rudder with kevlar thread you can get in the fishing department at Wal-Mart.
This is the procedure for a Dualsky Breeze:

Rigging the control surface of elevator and rudder.
Mount the servos as in the picture below, step 25. This should work for most setups.
<snip>
Repeat the same process for the rudder

Works like a champ and its done in 2 minutes.
Thanks for your contribution.

Indeed, as much weight in front of the CoG (even the servo wiring in the wings) that can be leveled out by the lipo instead of being unable to push the lipo forward enough (my red Cub...).

I have considered pull-pull. I've done that with sub 50 gram indoor planes. For this model it has pro's and con's.

Pro's:
  • Very lightweight construction
  • Less friction which enables the use of lighter servo's
  • Looks good

Con's however:
  • Once in, I cannot access it anymore without taking the covering of (except on the servo end - there will be a hatch)
  • Not that much "space" available in the tail, especially above the elevator
  • Horns on the upper side of the elevator look less good
  • My elevator feathers are not connected, so I need a double pull-pull mechanism, which also doubles the possibility for off-set configuration
  • Long distance from nose to tail, relative many "curves"

(The original seems to use some internal mechanism for the elevator)

My idea now is to go with conventional pushrods. Any adjustment can be made easily since I'm going to use screw-connectors on the elevator and rudder end.

Don't know yet, convince me

Yvo

Last edited by Phaeton; Jun 18, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:26 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Wanted to wait with adding stuff until the airframe was complete (tail feathers) to get a good measurement on the weight, but my carbon will arrive next week and the led's were there...

So, navigation lights in the tail.

Yvo

Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:34 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
You can make the pull pull adjustable:

But, in reality, you will never need to adjust it. The adjustment mechanism is just more weight. Put it in there right...once...and youll never have to mess with it. Its not as if youll be doing hard 3D with it.

"Once in, I cannot access it anymore without taking the covering of (except on the servo end - there will be a hatch) "
Only the ends need to be accessable.

The rudder is the easiest. Do it first or mock it up. It doesnt matter what the string rubs on at all. Itll never rub through anything on a plane this size.

The elevator...I might make it with pushrods because of the 2 halves.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today