HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2011, 12:46 PM
Greenville, Wi
Joined Nov 2004
319 Posts
Interesting build. What are you using to grind/cut the CF? Dremil with what type of bits? Where 2 tubes intersect, do you groove one so they fit together tightly? I've been thinking about doing some Landing gear out of carbon. Thanks for any info.
mag1 is offline Find More Posts by mag1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 01:38 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1 View Post
Interesting build. What are you using to grind/cut the CF? Dremil with what type of bits? Where 2 tubes intersect, do you groove one so they fit together tightly? I've been thinking about doing some Landing gear out of carbon. Thanks for any info.
For cutting of carbon with 2mm dia and above I use these Dremel cutting wheels. For the 1mm stuff, I use a razor blade. Is more precise.

The frame is built with 2mm square and round tubes, both hollow with a 1mm inside diameter. A 1mm pianowire slides in without problems. Intersections are made like the diagram in post 5 shows. With a regular 1mm steel drill.
The tailboom is reinforced with 1mm carbon, that is glued straight onto the 2mm rods. Grooving only weakens the structure.

The landing gear of my previous Cub (post 98) is carbon based. Same technique. Only with 3mm outside/2mm inside diameter carbon. All joints/angles reinforced with 1mm pianowire. With help from a 2mm oustide/1mm inside dia cf tube. See also http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=66699.

Yvo
Phaeton is offline Find More Posts by Phaeton
Last edited by Phaeton; May 31, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 31, 2011, 01:56 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Horizontal stabilo feathers and wings

In the meantime I figured out how I'm going to put the wings together: Carbon where it can be used but watch myself not adding more weight with balsa reinforcements than saving with the use of carbon because the construction (especially joints or "glue points") or design being thin or fragile

Several theories, from 0.1mm carbon sheet based ribs to balsa-only wings, have crossed my mind and drawing board, but I think I've found some funny weight saving alternatives that I'm actually going to build now / are ready for production .

Horizontal stabilo will be like the rudder, so done that before...

Everything I need is ordered, should arrive by the end of this week, stay tuned.

Yvo
Last edited by Phaeton; May 31, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:33 PM
Orange, CA
Joined Jun 2007
165 Posts
Phaeton,
Your Carbon Cub is coming along beautifully! It's a shame you have to cover up all that Carbon!
I believe I have found the perfect scale referance for your ambitious endeavor. Complete with tundra tires!

The June issue of The EAA's "Sport Aviation" magazine had a brief write up of a new model that Zlin Savage aircraft is soon to be releasing. Called the "Bobber".
"Inspired by Harley-Davidson motorcycles, the Zlin Savage Bobber can be customized like no other airplane of this category. It gives the pilot an almost unequalled sense of freedom. A simple fuselage cover (Winter Kit) for cold weather is only 1000 euros extra. The luggage compartment is a simple fabric bag that can be replaced with 10 types of leather bags. For the fuselage, the owner has the choice of 20 colors, for the engine 15, and for seat belts, 3. The price of the 80 hp Rotax 912-powered Bobber starts at 36,000 euro. www.ZlinAero.com "

Check out the following vids also! Good luck, will continue to watch your progress. cbalgra

bobber3.m4v (6 min 52 sec)

Savage Bobber.m4v (6 min 27 sec)
cbalgra is offline Find More Posts by cbalgra
Old Jun 02, 2011, 02:00 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra View Post
Phaeton,
Your Carbon Cub is coming along beautifully! It's a shame you have to cover up all that Carbon!
I believe I have found the perfect scale referance for your ambitious endeavor. Complete with tundra tires!

The June issue of The EAA's "Sport Aviation" magazine had a brief write up of a new model that Zlin Savage aircraft is soon to be releasing. Called the "Bobber".
"Inspired by Harley-Davidson motorcycles, the Zlin Savage Bobber can be customized like no other airplane of this category. It gives the pilot an almost unequalled sense of freedom. A simple fuselage cover (Winter Kit) for cold weather is only 1000 euros extra. The luggage compartment is a simple fabric bag that can be replaced with 10 types of leather bags. For the fuselage, the owner has the choice of 20 colors, for the engine 15, and for seat belts, 3. The price of the 80 hp Rotax 912-powered Bobber starts at 36,000 euro. www.ZlinAero.com "

Check out the following vids also! Good luck, will continue to watch your progress. cbalgra
Thanks !

Yes, the covering will hide all of this, even thought of the Got Rocks Super Cub, saves me about 30 gram of weight as well. But I do like the looks of the Carbon Cub SS...

That Bobber looks super. Not only the open frame, but also the retro colors and overall appearance.

The Bobber proportions/ratios are a bit different compared to this (regular) Cub. When I transform the current model into a Bobber, I guess it will not look as nice or cute as the original.

So you defined my next project After this Super Cub SS, it's the Bobber as scale and close to the original as possible. Complete with the leather bags and pilot And perhaps moving control sticks, I do have a mechanical scheme for that somewhere...

And invisible lipo's...

Thanks again,

Yvo
Last edited by Phaeton; Jun 02, 2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:37 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Little progress

Some 2mm balsa and a 3mm cf tube. Conventional technique so far. All together 28 gram / 0.99 oz. on the scale.

Yvo

Old Jun 02, 2011, 02:33 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
60 done, 60 to go

Went through a lot of trouble grinding 60 holes in the right wing's ribs (balsa is hard to drill - at least not "tidy").

Savings? One gram...

But we'll do the left wing tomorrow, have to mind my lateral balance...

Yvo

Old Jun 02, 2011, 06:14 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
Sub'd...Very interesting build. Do you think you might try to go bigger if this one is successful?. The weight savings should be greater as you scale it up. A
60" version would also handle the wind better.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
Old Jun 03, 2011, 03:22 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
Sub'd...Very interesting build. Do you think you might try to go bigger if this one is successful?. The weight savings should be greater as you scale it up. A
60" version would also handle the wind better.
Larger has it's advantages, but I like kits that I can throw in the car and/or can carry around easily. And this is somehow large enough for me. I even prefer smaller kits .

Yvo

Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:10 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Wings somewhere half way

Wings are recognizable as such now, 20 gram exactly per wing half, that's the same weight as an envelope with two sheets of paper in it Seems that I'm going to stay below 80 gram for the complete wing...
  • The leading edge will be pieces of 2mm cf tube instead of one whole tube. Mainly because I have more "contact" area for the glue that way. I think... Can't remember why I came up with that idea
  • The rear end where flaps and ailerons will be was supposed to be based only on those 1mm carbon rods. But that's not perfectly straight so that will become plan B. Although I don't know plan B yet... Should be something like laminated strips in the order of 0.3mm that do not bend.
  • I'm not sure yet what the wing tips will become: Round or more aerodynamically advanced (with just a touch more lift). See Anatomy of a STOL Aircraft.
  • Wing attachment works perfectly, see below.

To be continued...

Yvo

Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:37 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Giving the pictures in the previous post a better look: It almost seems that the wings are supported by something else than the carbon... Or that the carbon structure is too fragile to support itself and the balsa. But is does

It is 2mm balsa by the way, anything thinner didn't work.

Yvo
Last edited by Phaeton; Jun 03, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 04:25 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Plan B

Plan B, for the rear end of the wing. Solved it by glueing on 3mm wide / 0.4mm thin cf strip. Just solid enough to stay straight. And will witstand the covering material's tension I hope. Another one, 6mm wide / 0.4mm thin will go above. But have to order that one first.
And I ordered the wrong strips for the tail feathers.

So new stuff to be ordered, less time next few weeks and only material left for the leading edge. So don't expect (larger) updates for a while.

Yvo

Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:10 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Leading edges and servo plates...

...are in.

Score so far: 27 gram / 0.95 oz. for each wing half. That leaves me in total 26 gram for two flaps, two ailerons, eight hinges and two wing tips to remain below 80 gram. Doable...

But we all know: Bad on the ground is worse in the air. However light and fragile-looking, the structure must be able to take a beating. So in case anyone of you is going to adopt some of this, don't forget to "test" strength.

Yvo

Last edited by Phaeton; Jun 07, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 05:50 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
Seems like flaps and the extra servos are just added weight you dont need on a plane this size
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today