HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2011, 05:50 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Reinforcement

Wings carry the plane, the wing is supported by the wing roots that are attached to the rest of the fuse in which the actual weight resides. So the "connection" between wing roots and fuse has to be firm.

Up to this point, the connection between this model's wing roots and fuse was 1.2mm ply glued to 2mm carbon. And that has to support 400-450 gram and additional G forces... No way.

To make things more comfortable (and stronger), I hooked four 1mm pianowires into the wing roots at one end and under horizontal bars at the other end. Behind vertical bars to make them more or less invisible.

Yvo

Phaeton is online now Find More Posts by Phaeton
Last edited by Phaeton; May 22, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 10:40 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
The fuse is almost there.

To do:
  • Motormount. But I'll probably do the cowl first to make a perfect fit.
  • Cabin door. Have to find some tiny hinges first.
  • Mounts for the horizontal stabilo.

Regarding the tailboom: It doesn't torque or bend. It can only be squeezed and that's what the covering will do eventually. So additional 1mm cf rods went in. Not that aesthetic, but very functional. And it gives something to guide pushrods lateron.
And I only want the covering to "touch" horizontal bars, no vertical ones. To prevent wrinckling. So the 1mm rods are glued inside. Should be smooth all over then.

Don't expect any updates this week, have to give me some serious thoughts about the cowl.

Oh, and 46 gram on the scale at the moment...

Yvo

Old May 25, 2011, 05:05 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Cabin doors

Ok, little work done...

Functional cabin doors with magnets. Needs some black paint...

Yvo

Old May 25, 2011, 11:52 AM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
so the magnets are in the little squares? well thought out. Curious about the wing mounting method but will shut up and keep watching to see how it goes together
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old May 25, 2011, 11:56 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_suruncle View Post
so the magnets are in the little squares? well thought out. Still watching this one
The magnets are the little squares... Painted black on one side. They could have been smaller, but my stock only provided this size

About the wing mounting, I think I covered all forces in all directions. A 3mm tube in each wing halve into the 4mm tube that is embedded in the wing roots should give the additional support together with the wingstruts... And feel free to drop in.

Yvo
Last edited by Phaeton; May 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old May 25, 2011, 01:41 PM
castle rock, colorado
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
Yvo,
I think your wing mounting system will work out. It's similar to the way BUSA
mounts the doors on their 1/3 scale super cub and J-3.
Awesome build ya got going. I'm watching this with alot of interest as I am a super cub nut, used to own one. I have had to go Light Sport here ,and the carbon cub and S-2 cubs ,while expensive, look great. Zlin has come out with a Bush Icub in light sport now also!
Keep the updates coming,
Linn
lgarber is offline Find More Posts by lgarber
Old May 25, 2011, 02:16 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarber View Post
Yvo,
I think your wing mounting system will work out. It's similar to the way BUSA
mounts the doors on their 1/3 scale super cub and J-3.
Awesome build ya got going. I'm watching this with alot of interest as I am a super cub nut, used to own one. I have had to go Light Sport here ,and the carbon cub and S-2 cubs ,while expensive, look great. Zlin has come out with a Bush Icub in light sport now also!
Keep the updates coming,
Linn
There's something with their shape that makes them kind of adorable I guess. And what looks good, flies well. You can tell

I'm aiming at a super light wing construction anyway, about 80 gram for both wing halves together.

iCub? Never heard of, looked at their site, interesting. I'm off reading

Yvo
Old May 25, 2011, 07:41 PM
castle rock, colorado
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
Yea if I ever get rich, 'm buying the BushIcub!
Iv'e been trying to get my hands on a Dave Patrick super cub arf but you can't find them anywhere and when you do, theyr'e expensive.
I've got a few large kits that will keep me busy.
Thanks again for your build.
Linn
lgarber is offline Find More Posts by lgarber
Old May 26, 2011, 05:04 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Little paint and the mountpoints for the horizontal stabilo are in: 2mm cf tubes through which 1mm pianowire should hold everything in place...

Cowl is next, wings in between. But have to order some additional carbon first.

Yvo

Old May 27, 2011, 03:36 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Watching with interest! Great idea for a project. I've been thinking about trying something like this on a larger scale for some time now.

Will be interesting to how it all comes out, especially the weight.

If the SS cowl gives you too much grief, I guess you could convert it to a Super Cub, or Top Cub, since the basic wing and fuse shape is about the same. The Super Cub cowl is fairly easy to make, as it's just flat panels wrapped around to fit the nose bowl and firewall, with air exits at the sides.

Be careful with that dust! I've heard that it doesn't take much to do a number on you.

Best wishes!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old May 27, 2011, 03:56 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpAce View Post
Watching with interest! Great idea for a project. I've been thinking about trying something like this on a larger scale for some time now.

Will be interesting to how it all comes out, especially the weight.

If the SS cowl gives you too much grief, I guess you could convert it to a Super Cub, or Top Cub, since the basic wing and fuse shape is about the same. The Super Cub cowl is fairly easy to make, as it's just flat panels wrapped around to fit the nose bowl and firewall, with air exits at the sides.

Be careful with that dust! I've heard that it doesn't take much to do a number on you.

Best wishes!

AmpAce
Thanks.

For me the big advantage of building with carbon tubes and joints is the possibility to make adjustments. Here and there you cut something just a bit too short. With joints you can 'correct the error' before you put glue on.

The bare fuse is 49 gram / 1.73 oz. now. Add a few for the firewall and it's fixation and that's basically it. The majority of the weight is (in my case) always in the wings. Have to set a new standard in wing building then
I'll come up with something, but 80 gram for the whole wing must be doable.

And then light servo's and a light outrunner. And I figured out a 2s lipo setup already, saves considerably...

We've been busy with Cub cowls already, dijko is indeed trying panels and we've been trying to vacuform the thing as well. In the meantime I'm using a modified Horizon cowl.
But I'm determined to get me a Carbon Cub one...

And yes, I'll be careful with the dust. I sometimes smell it and that only means that it's going places it shouldn't go.

Yvo
Old May 29, 2011, 09:55 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Interesting build. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old May 30, 2011, 06:49 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Bit balsa for a change

Made myself a firewall and dashboard as support for the parts between the cabin and the cowl lateron.
And why not, little instrument panel to go with it.

Yvo

Old May 30, 2011, 11:58 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,816 Posts
What a great build, can i ask what you are using for glues? I haven't had much luck with carbon bonding properly to most things unless I sand the shine off first. only my experience.
Its going to be a very unique Cub, I'm looking forward to seeing it being built and flown!! Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old May 30, 2011, 01:22 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
What a great build, can i ask what you are using for glues? I haven't had much luck with carbon bonding properly to most things unless I sand the shine off first. only my experience.
Its going to be a very unique Cub, I'm looking forward to seeing it being built and flown!! Doug B
I use regular superglue. That stuff that bonds in seconds. See the previous page. I use the liquid variant, but there's gel as well, gives a bit correction time.

It may be a bit brittle indeed, but that's also an advantage. When you make a mistake, put a razor blade or similar between the two parts and the bond "snaps" loose again. Without any damage.

Another advantage of superglue: Balsa absorbs it very well, making it very hard, durable and strong. It will even hold screws and stuff then.

Movie of this model flying around promised, both from my point of view as from the cockpit

Yvo