Old May 08, 2011, 07:22 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Question
Quick question - Taking planes on Holiday

Hi everyone,
Been reading the forums for a while now and finally created an account

I'll be going on holiday to Greece and was thinking on taking my FPV Skywalker with me.

The only problem is the size of the plane. It won't fit in my luggage as I'll be flying to Greece.

Sending the plane via courier is not for me.

So I was thinking of cutting the tail of the plane to make it fit in my check-in luggage.

What do u guys think ? Is it a good idea or will the plane lose its structural strength if I do that ?

How do you usually transport your planes if flying to your destination ?

Cheers for all your help
thundead is offline Find More Posts by thundead
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 10:16 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,909 Posts
Here are some things you'd better investigate thoroughly before you proceed:

You don't say where you live but I'm going to assume it's in the USA. The first thing to consider is that other countries have different radio standards than the USA. For example, Europe has different 2.4GHz band implementations than the USA and they aren't even universal within Europe. The bottom line is that operating your TX in Greece could very well be [read: probably is] a violation of their laws.

Then there's the FPV part: There are countries in this world that would consider that spy equipment and arrest you for even possessing it, let alone using it. I'm not suggesting Greece is like that, but I can't say it's not either.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old May 08, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR View Post
Here are some things you'd better investigate thoroughly before you proceed:

You don't say where you live but I'm going to assume it's in the USA. The first thing to consider is that other countries have different radio standards than the USA. For example, Europe has different 2.4GHz band implementations than the USA and they aren't even universal within Europe. The bottom line is that operating your TX in Greece could very well be [read: probably is] a violation of their laws.

Then there's the FPV part: There are countries in this world that would consider that spy equipment and arrest you for even possessing it, let alone using it. I'm not suggesting Greece is like that, but I can't say it's not either.

Pete
Hi, sorry forgot to mention that. I'm in the UK. I'll be using a 35mhz Tx (http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...aender/GRE.pdf) and a 200mw 2.4g for Video so I should be ok legally.

The issue was how to carry the plane with me without posting it.
Old May 08, 2011, 12:29 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,555 Posts
Be nice if you put your location in your profile so we would know that.
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old May 08, 2011, 12:41 PM
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Be nice if you put your location in your profile so we would know that.
done
Old May 08, 2011, 03:12 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
Something like this?

http://www.mpx-easystar.de/index.php?id=88&L=1
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old May 08, 2011, 03:15 PM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
712 Posts
just cut it to fit in your bagage, then when you arrive epoxy back to gether again, if done carefully no problem, have done it several times , also flew in greece, some lovely hills thermals abound, managed to fly every day and almost every where....by the see no problem hand launch and land on the brach..be carefull of gawkers as they dont understand to keep out of the way....do not land in sea water...not good idea..vbg... have fun

urs (switzerland)
urs is offline Find More Posts by urs
Old May 08, 2011, 07:07 PM
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
thanks for the tips. epoxying it back to shape will prob be my first choice.
the box link is also a good idea since i can chexk it in as extra luggage. I'll keep u guys posted.