HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by AeroVideoUS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 07, 2011, 03:50 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,655 Posts
Discussion
Build log of my new Hoverfly Pro and x468 Frame.

I recently acquired a Hoverfly Pro board from what I'm guessing is their third run as it has a little v3 sticker on the back. I put it on an existing home made frame just to try it out and it was fantastic!!! But I've since decided to give it a permanent home on an x468 frame as it looked to be pretty flexible as far as configurations go and pretty sturdy.

I received the frame in about a week which isn't bad for getting it cut and mailed. After placing the order I didn't get any acknowledgement emails but I sent a follow up and the responded right away.

The frame comes unassembled with all the parts you need, except booms, to get it together. I opted for square 24" aluminum towel bars from Home Depot as they are considerably lighter than the stock aluminum of the same size. Of course this means they aren't nearly as strong but so far my two other towel bar frames have worked out well.

I took a little different tactic on assembling the towel bars this time. Instead of cutting four different arms I just notched out the centers of each bar so they would fit together. I then used some angle pieces to secure them together. I'm hoping this makes the frame a little stiffer.

I assembled the landing gear of the x468 which once complete feels really stable but getting it together was a bit of a trick. The online instructions aren't very clear and my first question was if the top plate with the logo goes on the outside or inside of the legs when you put it together. I ended up putting it on the outside so I wouldn't need to shorten the two top cross members. However, this may be incorrect. When I put the center plate on the tabs of the landing gear it really pulled the tabs in. Had I put the center arms on the inside the tabs probably would have fit the center plate better. But since getting the legs together was kind of difficult I opted not to change it and just filed out the grooves a bit so it clipped on better without stressing the tabs so much.

Another hurtle, was the leg assembly. The holes that are drilled in the legs must just be guide holes as they were far to small for the screws that needed to go through them. So I had to drill out all the holes a bit which wasn't a big deal but still more work than should have been required. The disappointing thing was that the cross members holding the legs together are held on by what appears to be plastic dry wall inserts and screws instead of a nice threaded tube with bolts. This makes it a one time assembly as those little plastic things get pretty chewed up. I would have liked to see aluminum tubes with threads and bolts holding the legs together. I almost made some myself but wimped out and just went with the stuff that was supplied.

With the landing gear complete and my center plates on my booms the two simply snap together via the tabs at the top of the landing gear. This worries me a bit as I wonder how many hard landings it's going to take before I snap one of those tabs and have to completely rebuild the landing gear. But on the flip side, this makes popping the landing gear off for travel quite handy. So I'm a bit torn on this one.

Next I went shopping for tupperware to enclose the Hoverfly Pro board in. I don't like the bare board and it was pretty expensive so I wanted to protect it best I can. However, the one I decided on is pretty large and I worry that my quad may be a bit top heavy. With the batteries and camera underneath it may balance out.

Next post will be showing the motors and esc additions!
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:56 AM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2010
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
I recently acquired a Hoverfly Pro board from what I'm guessing is their third run as it has a little v3 sticker on the back. I put it on an existing home made frame just to try it out and it was fantastic!!! But I've since decided to give it a permanent home on an x468 frame as it looked to be pretty flexible as far as configurations go and pretty sturdy.

I received the frame in about a week which isn't bad for getting it cut and mailed. After placing the order I didn't get any acknowledgement emails but I sent a follow up and the responded right away.

The frame comes unassembled with all the parts you need, except booms, to get it together. I opted for square 24" aluminum towel bars from Home Depot as they are considerably lighter than the stock aluminum of the same size. Of course this means they aren't nearly as strong but so far my two other towel bar frames have worked out well.

I took a little different tactic on assembling the towel bars this time. Instead of cutting four different arms I just notched out the centers of each bar so they would fit together. I then used some angle pieces to secure them together. I'm hoping this makes the frame a little stiffer.

I assembled the landing gear of the x468 which once complete feels really stable but getting it together was a bit of a trick. The online instructions aren't very clear and my first question was if the top plate with the logo goes on the outside or inside of the legs when you put it together. I ended up putting it on the outside so I wouldn't need to shorten the two top cross members. However, this may be incorrect. When I put the center plate on the tabs of the landing gear it really pulled the tabs in. Had I put the center arms on the inside the tabs probably would have fit the center plate better. But since getting the legs together was kind of difficult I opted not to change it and just filed out the grooves a bit so it clipped on better without stressing the tabs so much.

Another hurtle, was the leg assembly. The holes that are drilled in the legs must just be guide holes as they were far to small for the screws that needed to go through them. So I had to drill out all the holes a bit which wasn't a big deal but still more work than should have been required. The disappointing thing was that the cross members holding the legs together are held on by what appears to be plastic dry wall inserts and screws instead of a nice threaded tube with bolts. This makes it a one time assembly as those little plastic things get pretty chewed up. I would have liked to see aluminum tubes with threads and bolts holding the legs together. I almost made some myself but wimped out and just went with the stuff that was supplied.

With the landing gear complete and my center plates on my booms the two simply snap together via the tabs at the top of the landing gear. This worries me a bit as I wonder how many hard landings it's going to take before I snap one of those tabs and have to completely rebuild the landing gear. But on the flip side, this makes popping the landing gear off for travel quite handy. So I'm a bit torn on this one.

Next I went shopping for tupperware to enclose the Hoverfly Pro board in. I don't like the bare board and it was pretty expensive so I wanted to protect it best I can. However, the one I decided on is pretty large and I worry that my quad may be a bit top heavy. With the batteries and camera underneath it may balance out.

Next post will be showing the motors and esc additions!
You don't get booms with the kit?
misterfogg is offline Find More Posts by misterfogg
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:15 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfogg View Post
You don't get booms with the kit?
Nope, no booms with the kit but the aluminum bars are just towel bars from a local Home Depot store, only a couple of bucks each.

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:48 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2010
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Nope, no booms with the kit but the aluminum bars are just towel bars from a local Home Depot store, only a couple of bucks each.

Paul

Wow I might have to spring for the droidwork frame. lol I like your video. It was very smooth.
misterfogg is offline Find More Posts by misterfogg