HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Boomer1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 07, 2011, 02:42 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
Discussion
Shopping for my next plane - looking at Cesnna 182's

I am in the middle of doing research on the best value in a 40" to 55" wing span Cesnna 182. Looking for planes without Radio, receiver and battery (have all that)
There are number of different planes out there from different sources. The planes I like the best so far are from online hobby stores that may or may not be the greatest places to buy or to expect any decent customer support from. If there are other sources I'd like to find them - please feel free to share.

I am also looking at smaller 182 Cessna's from Tower Hobbies and few other places - more on that in my next entry. Here is what I have so far on the larger planes.

I am looking the following 50"+ planes:

1. NitroPlanes.com
5 Channel AirField RC 55" Sky Trainer Upgrade Version Airplane w/ Brushless Motor/ESC/Flaps/LED Lights Almost Ready to Fly ARF Receiver Ready -EPO Foam Plane (Red or Blue) $129.00+ tax/shipping = $156.05
Wingspan: 55.5 inch
Outrunner Motor (3536-kv900)
Servo: 6X 9g High Speed Micro Servos
Speed Controller: 30A Brushless ESC

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...-blue-arf.html

2. Banana Hobbies
Super Scale 6 CH BlitzRCWorks Cesna 182 - 2.4GHz Blue Flight Trainer Master Pro Radio Remote Control Electric RC Airplane RTF $164.90 + Shipping: $18.73* Tax: $16.08 Total: $199.71
Wingspan:51.2 inch
Brushless outrunner motor ???
Speed Controller: 30amp brushless ESC
Servo: 4X 9g high speed micro servos & 2x 17g for flaps

3. HobbyKing.com
Durafly Cessna 182 1.4meter 5Ch (with flaps) Plug-n-Fly (USA Warehouse)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14514
$113.97 + shipping = $127.97

WingSpan: 55.10in
Propeller: 10x5E
Motor: Brushless outrunner 35 series
ESC: 30A
Servos: 9g x 6 (Quality servos, with precise control.)
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; May 07, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 11:15 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Apr 2009
533 Posts
check out the flyzone cessna 182.. pretty good little airplane

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXHL5&P=ML
hbsurfer is offline Find More Posts by hbsurfer
Old May 08, 2011, 12:04 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsurfer View Post
check out the flyzone cessna 182.. pretty good little airplane

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXHL5&P=ML
I have this plane ( flyzone cessna)on the top of my list for the smaller planes. It's wing span is less that than my orginal target of 50 to 55". It is the best deal by far - I trust Tower Hobbies and have purchased my last plan from them (the Switch)
The wing span on this plane is bit shy of the 55" at 47.5"
I actually have loaded in "My Cart" at Tower Hobbies. I can buy that one right now for $109.99 - with their current member discount program. I'd like the larger wing span if possible.

The Banana Hobby plane has the Cessna graphics but is almost $50 buck higher - but don't see what besides the graphics they are offering for the higher price.
Both Nitro and Banana have questionalble histories with some guys, so I am of course dubios.
I have purchased a plane from them without issue, so I have less concern there but would like to understand why the higher price for a smaller plane.

I am looking at another plane called a Stinson - 49.6" wing span - it is in the Classifieds here. Tail dragger, but a nice plane and at fair price @ $110 w/2 lipos -saw it yesterday - may get it and a Cessna too. Not sure.

I appreciate your suggestion- Thank you
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; May 08, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joined May 2011
116 Posts
dont buy nitro planes...they have ZERO replacement parts...waste of money and time..kills my love for the new hobby
Chestersdead is offline Find More Posts by Chestersdead
Old May 21, 2011, 12:09 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
Appreciate the heads up on Nitroplanes. I have heard rumors of their lack of customer support. I have purchased a plane from Banana Hobbies with out issue.
As well a bunch of guys in our club have purchased Sky Surfer's with no issues.
Their plane is really nice looking, but more expensive and a little smaller wing span.
Not ready to buy yet, still investigating my options.

Thank you
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 10, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:52 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
Opted for the Airfield version of the Cessan 182

Here is the latest on this situation. Starting out, my goal was to keep this purchase under $200 and to get the largest wing span I could, I based this on the information shared with me by my flying buddies, that the "larger the plane the easier it is to fly". (Generally speaking)

Nitroplane's version has the largest wing span at 55" of those planes under consideration, plus they just put it on sale for $109.95 down from their normal $129.95 price. The total price to me of $135.72 which is well below my budgeted amount.

I contacted Nitroplanes by phone and with their live chat line to get some sense of how they would respond to any issues that might arrise. I was satisfied with their responses to my inquiries. I refer to this as "testing the waters" a bit before moving forward.

After talking with them, I decided to take a chance that these guys couldn't be as bad as the rumors suggested. I ordered the plane online on the 3rd and received on the 6th. I can report that their paper work was accurate and provided me with UPS tracking information. The box arrived today, right on schedule.

Packaging was as good as I have seen, and the plane and all the parts arrived safely, with no damages, and no missing parts. The plane came with an instruction sheet which uses pictures more than words to help you put it together. The pictures are dark and small, but are good enough to get you through the minor assembly that is needed to put the plane together.

All the parts were nicely packaged in individual ziplok type bags. After doing a complete inspection and inventory of the parts, I have to report that they did a fine job and I can't complain.

I am very pleased with the outward appearance of this plane. Before actually assembling the plane, I am doing a dry fit test, to make sure everything fits properly before I bond any parts together. So, far the pieces all fit together properly. The only thing so far is the carbon fiber wing support tube has to be sanded a little to get in to slide in the pre-install tube receptacles in each wing. No biggy there. A tight fit is not a bad thing.

This is the largest plane in my hanger, so figuring out the best place to keep it while not in use will be interesting. I understand why some guys hang their planes from their ceilings.

I am planning on removing the "G-KEMY decals on the plane and replacing them with number like a full size plane would have on them. I think a hair dryer should enable me to get them to lift off the foam surface with out damage.

Any other ideas of the on best way to remove the decals are welcomed. I posted a picture of the plane with just a few parts stuck on to see how it would look.

Very happy with the plane and the service thus far from Nitroplanes. Time will tell how they perform when I need some parts.

Thanks to all who responded.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 10, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
After dry fitting the planes parts, I discovered that the propeller shaft adapter was oversized, so the prop won't slide all the way on the shaft.
I contacted Nitroplanes to report the problem via the chat line. The fellow gave me is email address to send him a few pictures that showed the problem. Once he had the pictures confirming this issue, he promised to mail me a replacement shaft at no charge.
I followed up with him yesterday and he confirmed his receipt of my pictures and that my replacement part order was being processed and that I'd receive an email confirmation of when the mail the part to me.
I will let you know how this works out.
Other than that, the plane's quality is very good. If you look at my blog, you'll see I have several other foam planes and this one is as good and maybe even better than my other planes.

I will update this thread once I get the replacement parts and get the plane completed and ready to fly.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 10, 2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:31 PM
▲▼▲▼≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣ ≣≣≣≣≣ ▼▲▼▲
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
720 Posts
Hey Boomer, I was wondering if you had maiden your Cessna 182? If so, please share your experience with that model?
IndiaHobby is online now Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:39 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
I have flown it a number of times since my last post. Been pretty busy on a boat project.
I have not any issues with the plane. I did replace the ESC based on a report of one going up in flames. I had an extra one so it was a no brainer.

I don't know how you could beat this plane for the price. The best thing is how real it looks in the air. I have been very cautious in my landings, based on the reports by others that the front landing gear was a bit weak. So far no problems.

The flaps are a nice feature and shorten take off distance, and help slow the plane for nice soft landings. I've have been pretty careful and haven't gotten carried away with flying it very aggressively. I am getting used to it, and like to practice scale flights and landings.

That is pretty much it. For a hundred bucks, it is a terrific plane.

Boomer
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:31 AM
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Boomer1: Just wondering: any other thoughts on the Nitroplanes Cessna 182? This plane has been "out of stock" for a while now, and I'm not sure if it will be available again anytime soon (?). Right now I am leaning towards the Flyzone 182 RTF, but I wish the wingspan was a little bigger. Any suggestions on other Cesssna 182 RTFs? I definitely want one with flaps and landing lights. Thanks.
Jim Hargett is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hargett
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:43 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
Jim
The only issue I and others have with this plane is the front landing gear. It is a poor design and over time and normal landings bend or break it's mounting.

My plane is still flying and has with stood a few different pilots and their landings but I have had to rebuild the front gear.

Take a look at how the plane you are considering front gear mounting bracket to see if it has an better design than this one.

Other than that the plane it has been fine. These are not expensive - I have not had to get any parts but I understand that they can be hard to get.

The Flyzone 182 RTF has a 47" wing span and from the photos appears to have a very similar front gear design.

Send my your e-mail address if you'd like to chat more about it.
Boomer