Old May 06, 2011, 10:54 PM
My R/C Parrot (Rasin Control)
New Zealand, Waikato, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2011
59 Posts
Discussion
MY SH4 Build

Hi Guys,

Amazing, my new bird arrived this morning having only landed in NZ yesterday.

Already I need your help!

I've looked at all the instructions on Sean's' site and there is nothing specifically for the SH4.

There are obviously changes being made with each model, so I'm checking to get things right.

The first thing I found was that according to the SH3 instructions there should be a "G10 tail part", which attaches to the servo horn, but it ain't there.
It should looks like this;

So after reading though loads of treads I found somewhere that the X shaped horn is attached directly to the tail.

I've put up the pictures of the trial of this, is it correct or should I have got the "G10 Tail part" in the kit?

Thanks.

By the way, FREE 2 week holiday accommodation in NZ for anyone who helps me. Honest! (As long as you bring your bird (Ornithopter that is))

Mark
kiwitaff is offline Find More Posts by kiwitaff
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2011, 12:58 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Apr 2011
52 Posts
Looks like the G-10 tail part is already attached to the tail as it was on my LH. Use zip-ties to hold the O-rings together. This picture isn't mine but shows the small white zip-ties holding the O-rings together to keep them from slipping off.
Jason Coleman is offline Find More Posts by Jason Coleman
Old May 07, 2011, 02:52 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,096 Posts
jason is right about the zip ties is good for saftey 2weeks free accomodition bring on the questions also when soldering your esc make sure the motor rotates the right direction turn it by hand the glide locks lock in one direction and the other they dont obvious you wont it to turn the direction they dont.
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old May 07, 2011, 02:53 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,096 Posts
the x shape thing is a older set up sean hasnt up dated things yet
Old May 07, 2011, 02:56 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,096 Posts
i use hs65mg servo's and dont need the zip ties and just a tip dont get the wings near the soildering iron put them on later but i reckon you know that
Old May 07, 2011, 03:58 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitaff View Post
Hi Guys,

I've looked at all the instructions on Sean's' site and there is nothing specifically for the SH4.

There are obviously changes being made with each model, so I'm checking to get things right.

The first thing I found was that according to the SH3 instructions there should be a "G10 tail part", which attaches to the servo horn, but it ain't there.

So after reading though loads of treads I found somewhere that the X shaped horn is attached directly to the tail.

I've put up the pictures of the trial of this, is it correct or should I have got the "G10 Tail part" in the kit?

Thanks.

By the way, FREE 2 week holiday accommodation in NZ for anyone who helps me. Honest! (As long as you bring your bird (Ornithopter that is))

Mark

Hi Mark

1-Remember that you must secure the cross shaped servo arm first to the servo shaft with the screw then you put on the tail , then the O-rings, then the Zip ties

2- Neutral angle when TX sticks are centered is about 20-25 measured from horizontal

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is online now Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old May 09, 2011, 12:14 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,096 Posts
getting ready for your maiden
Old May 09, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Apr 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealthing691 View Post
getting ready for your maiden
Got a bit of it put together over the weekend, but I have a problem with my hand. About a month ago I had a Phoenix palm branch come down and a spike go deep into my wrist. They took it out at the time, but it appears that they left some of the spike in there, so I'm getting operated on again this Wednesday. Hopefully after that I'll be 100% again.
The long range weather forecast isn't looking too good and winter is fast approaching, but I can pick and choose my flying days, so we'll see.
You guys who've been helping, you'd better get your accommodation bookings in in-case it fills up!!!

Thanks

Mark
Old May 09, 2011, 03:19 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,803 Posts
Mark , I hope you get better soon

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is online now Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old May 09, 2011, 01:13 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
Yes, the cross shaped G-10 part was in the older kits. It was originally for HS-55 servos WAY back years ago when they were about the only suitable servos out there. The reason for the cross shaped piece was because HS-55 horns were only single or double armed and you need 4 points for the O-rings to attach to. When the HS-56 and HS-65 servo came out, they had a nice sturdy cross shaped nylon horn so this eliminated the need for the G-10 part. That is still the case, but now some of the generic servos have that diamond shaped horn and that works but definitely needs a nylon tie strap to hold the O-rings on the small side arms.

Sorry about the dated manual. I did have an updated SH-4 manual but it was in my computer that crashed so I have to update it all over again.

Sorry to hear about your hand. Good luck with your maiden.
Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Kinkade
Old May 09, 2011, 01:17 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks.

Mark
Looks good but I always mount the nylon horn to the servo first, and then pry the O-rings on. You have to be able to access the servo horn mounting screw and make sure it's screwed in tight. The O-rings hold the tail to the nylon horn, but a single steel screw holds nylon horn to the servo! It may be hard to screw it in with the tail already mounted to the servo horn.
Old May 09, 2011, 01:19 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks.

Mark
Hmm.... free two week holiday??? I'm going to India this month. How far is that India from NZ?
Old May 09, 2011, 03:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
59 Posts
Hi Guys,
Thanks you all for the help and sympathy, at least someone cares....
I understood from the instructions that the horn needed to be fixed to the servo before the tail was attached with o rings, I just attached it like that as a dry run to photograph..honest.
Sean, if you just updated the SH3 instuctions with a new title if would give us newbies something to work with.
Also Sean, India to here is just under 8000 miles. You're welcome to come.
Also Sean, don't you think that if you are going to get the ornithopters built cheaply offshore you'd be better looking at China
Thanks again, I'll keep you updated.
Old May 10, 2011, 05:17 PM
Joined Apr 2011
59 Posts
Hi,
Is there a way of checking the COG is approx correct?

I'm sort of thinking about resting the underneath of the bird on a pivot point on a table to see where it balances.

Understand?

I'm not quite at that point yet, but it might be useful to prevent a nose plant on the maiden.

Thanks
Old May 10, 2011, 08:16 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,096 Posts
cg isnt a huge issue about center of wing is cool battery choice i would run around a 1000mah and tail around 30 degrees as neuteral ihave run the battery further back in less wind further forward in stronger wind regards brian hope your wrists on the mend soon mark