SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:33 PM
Aero Tow CD
USA, CA, Visalia
Joined Aug 2006
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
how many laps did the best flight manage over the 30 minute run time?
Dean made 6. The conditions were less than ideal with huge areas of sink on the course.
ChrisPratt is offline Find More Posts by ChrisPratt
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:41 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPratt View Post
Dean made 6. The conditions were less than ideal with huge areas of sink on the course.
It should be noted that this was only Dean's second flight with the Antares. Whether he is graciously hosting or not, his score should be divided in half from here on in to make it fair for the rest of us....

Oh wait.... Then he would have tied me. I say we divide his scores by 4!

Mike

ps: This truly is the most enjoyable type of r/c soaring I've done in my 20+ years in the sport. It's simple, challenging, hugely fun, the camaraderie is second to none, scenery gorgeous, gliders fun to fly and watch, etc, etc, etc.

pss: Thanks again and again to Scott Marnoch for working his ass off all three days to keep a tow plane working so we could fly.
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Last edited by yyz; Aug 10, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:37 AM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
Thanks for posting, Chris! Sherry took some really nice photos!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:08 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
The conditions were definitely challenging. There seemed to be a few strong but small thermals and everything else was sink. At least that is how it was at the altitude that Mike and I were operating. We both made the mistake of trying to make a complete lap before thermalling. This is normally a workable strategy because it shows you where the thermals are which then sets the strategy for the rest of the flight. There were nearly always 2 or 3 thermals on or near the course but the sink was so pervasive everywhere in between that we both lost more than half our starting altitude in the first lap. This put us in the fun but not too productive mode of making one low level save after another. The thermals were simply not strong enough to get us to a reasonable altitude in a short enough amount of time.

Meanwhile Dean seemed to be just cruising around the course at high altitude, occasionally stopping at a thermal to gain more height. He seemed to be following the x/c mantra of get high and stay high. Whatever he was doing, it certainly worked. It's possible the Antares gave him a nice advantage in being able to cruise through the sink quicker than we could, but he did a great job of exploiting what he had to work with. It was Dean's flying that won the event, not any technical advantage that his Antares may have had.

This is the great thing about this task, to do well you must have the correct strategy and you must be able to execute. In addition, during the 30 minutes that you have to complete the task, it is very likely that the conditions will change which will then require a corresponding change in strategy. It is the pilot who can quickly recognize and adjust to the changing conditions that will do well. I have been flying this task for the past year and I have yet to feel like I got more than 80% of the laps that were possible given the conditions. I have sometimes felt like I got everything I could given the strategy I used, but then later I would always realize I didn't use the right strategy or I failed to change strategies quick enough when the conditions changed.

The physical part of this challenge, knowing where the course is and then efficiently flying around it seems to come to everyone quite quickly. That leaves a lifetime to get the mental part of the challenge correct.

Rick
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,912 Posts
This looks like it was a very cool event. I really want to make it to the next one guys.

Please keep everyone informed...I know you will :-)

Cheers,

Mike Smith
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:54 AM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,400 Posts
My money says that Mike S sells all of his F3B gear and gets another scale glider

Other Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
This looks like it was a very cool event. I really want to make it to the next one guys.

Please keep everyone informed...I know you will :-)

Cheers,

Mike Smith
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:14 PM
Canyon Country, California
Joined Dec 2006
96 Posts
From Sherry's Photo collection - I really like this one, as they say..."picture worth a thousand words"

Scott
marnochs is offline Find More Posts by marnochs
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:30 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,400 Posts
What a great shot!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:47 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,912 Posts
Oh, tough bet there Other Mike. Don't hold your breath, but man I love those Antareseses

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
My money says that Mike S sells all of his F3B gear and gets another scale glider

Other Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B