HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:02 PM
Canyon Country, California
Joined Dec 2006
96 Posts
GPS Racing Photos from the tow plane mechanic/pilot perspective
marnochs is online now Find More Posts by marnochs
Last edited by marnochs; Aug 01, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:12 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,394 Posts
And more photos from day 3

yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:01 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,675 Posts
You guys are killing me with these photos, the sky is SO clear there!
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:04 AM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
You guys are killing me with these photos, the sky is SO clear there!
Wait until you see the GOOD photos that Mac's girlfriend, Sherry, took!
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:58 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
My new favorite place to fly

A huge, immaculate hangar to store the planes in and work out of. A paved taxi way that is more than large enough to easily land on. A large field of soft alfalfa to land in if your plane doesn't like asphalt (or is just ornery). An incredible view of Mount Shasta just 25 - 30 miles away. Full scale glass slippers operating from the same airport - some of them in the hangar with us. Probably the cleanest Pawnee in existence towing the full scale sailplanes that lives in the hangar next door. Incredible thermals and beautiful blue skies with puffy cumulus and the occasional thunderhead. A gracious and generous host in Dean Gradwell. Oh, and some GPS Triangle Racing. I can't wait to go back.

Rick
rshelby is online now Find More Posts by rshelby
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:11 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
Shhhh! We're trying to keep it a secret!

Seriously. I know Dean created such a place just for those of us who love soaring!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:27 PM
Joined Oct 2004
597 Posts
GPS Triangle Racing is here to stay.

We took baby steps, perhaps giant baby steps this past weekend to give it a go.

The event was almost a secret and I planned it that way. Have a few try it and see what happens.

Rick Shelby was the key ingrediant to the event and boy did he do an outstanding job. Rick was "the man" for GPS hardware and all related questions. Not once did I see him get upset. Many times he had several puzzled pilots waiting in line to ask questions.

Tow pilots Scott and Randy did their best to keep us happy. Sunday turned out to be a double whammy with both towplane motors balking.

This event, especially with several gliders on course is exciting to watch as a spectator.

At least two local pilots have become addicted with one buying a GPS system and ordering a new glider.

I feel the site can support a large contest of this type so the next one will be done with vigor on my part.

Got to see old friends and make new ones. Thank you everyone for coming.

Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is online now Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:46 PM
Aero Tow CD
USA, CA, Visalia
Joined Aug 2006
76 Posts
My thanks to Rick Shelby, Scott Marnoch, and Randy Banta for making it possible to put this on.

A special thanks goes to Dean, Paul and Scott Gradwell for their hospitality, their facilities and expertise.

I also wish to thank the other fliers and navigators, Mac Powell and Sherrie Shanahan, Mike Deleo, Carla Shelby, Dean, Paul, and Scott Gradwell for their enthusiasm.

All of this makes it easy to assist with an event like this. I look forward to the next GPS event, probably at Visalia in October? I also look forward to trying it out myself!

Chris Pratt
ChrisPratt is offline Find More Posts by ChrisPratt
Last edited by ChrisPratt; Aug 05, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:16 AM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
like the pics. how about an event report? is this a scale racing event? how many laps or is it scored by time? how big was the triangle course? Where was the triangle laid out? What is it like flying by GPS?

sorry for all the questions

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:34 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
like the pics. how about an event report? is this a scale racing event? how many laps or is it scored by time? how big was the triangle course? Where was the triangle laid out? What is it like flying by GPS?

sorry for all the questions

Steve
Steve, let's see if I can do this justice.

The course we flew was a triangle, with the pilots situated in the middle of the long leg of the triangle. 500 meters over your right shoulder is the first turnpoint, 500 in front of you is the second turnpoint and 500 over your left should is the third turnpoint.

At Montague, we had our backs to Dean's hangar with the course in front of us over the open fields. We took off and landed on the taxi way. Fantastic site, by the way.

You start by being towed to 500 meters (the software on the PDA or your variometer tells you your height). You enter the course at or below 500 meters and less than 120 kph (again the software tells you this).

The start and finish line divides the triangle in two, from the pilot area to the second turnpoint. Each time you cross the start line, except for the first time, you get a lap. You have 30 minutes to do as many of those as you can.

It's an intense 30 minutes of flying but you learn a LOT about your thermaling and proper speed-to-fly.

You really don't fly "with the GPS" but rather your helper guides you around the course by looking at the PDA running the SkyNav software which has a little arrow representing your glider in relation to the triangle.

The software on the PDA gives your helper a ton of information but they're basically telling you "turn left", "turn right" or "you made the turnpoint, go to the next". A good helper will be watching other gliders, birds, etc to let you know what is going on ahead of you on-course.

I believe we only had two gliders on course at any given time but that makes the flying much more enjoyable.

We were all flying scale gliders but you could just as well have a great time flying Radians. Here are the rules, which are intentionally very simple:

http://www.eurocup.gps-triangle.net/...V3.41%20EN.pdf

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:17 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,675 Posts
I will most likely go to the next event to take my shot at racing, plus the fact that since I have plans to build a 40% Hall Cherokee I need to see Dean's fullsize Cherokee for documentation.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:02 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
Yes you do need to see Dean's Cherokee! It's truly a work of art!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
how many laps did the best flight manage over the 30 minute run time?
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker