HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bildo baggins, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 06, 2011, 06:29 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Discussion
Apple man!

I have been talking up Apple for a while now and so far have several iPhones in the house as well as the Apple TV which have all been absolutely flawless and I have zero regret or buyers remorse over. Since I was so impressed with these and I was having so much issue getting videos edited and published with my POS Toshiba, I snapped and pulled the trigger on a MacBook Pro 13" a week ago. After my 1st full day as a Mac user, here is my first blush at it.

The first thing I will address is build quality. To put it simply, there is none better and I challenge anyone to point it out if there is. The one piece machined case is beautiful simplicity and there is zero flex in it unless you really manhandle the pooh out of it. The keyboard is easily one of the best I've used on a laptop, is laid out very well and is backlit nicely. I may be in the dark about a back space key but it is labeled "delete" and performs as one. Don't know where the traditional delete is or if there even is one. The touch pad is huge which is a good thing but I generally dislike touch pads and use a mouse unless in a pinch. It is also different in that the pad is your button and is tactile with a discernible click as opposed to touch or tap sensitive. No left and right click stuff but the USB mouse does. Also no more cursor jumping around and me typing something in the middle of my document because my big ape thumb accidentally tapped the pad. The display hinge feels sturdy and when opening is effortless and smooth. I personally own 5 other laptops of differing brands and have many others at work and not one of them of them comes remotely close to the feel of the MBP. Like the iPhone 4 you get the same apparent build quality and well thought out design would expect and have heard about in an Apple product.

Now onto operation and interface. Unpacking the MBP was anything but exciting but it was well packed and the few included manuals and accessories were arranged individually very nicely in their own separate cubbies as is Apple's way. Setup was as simple as plugging in the power supply and pushing the on button. After that the only actions necessary were to enter your Apple ID and select language I believe. That was it! After the initial boot which was blazingly fast compared to any other machine I've ever owned. When it came up it treated me to a nice visual workout of the video hardware and display which was quite impressive and pretty to be honest. There was a point where it came up and asked me if I wanted to connect to the internet and after entering the wifi password I was in. Basically I unpacked it, plugged it in and was off and running without a single hitch. No driver updates, software downloads, troubleshooting, nothing! Display is beautiful as well and is a gloss finish on this particular model. That may be of concern for some but so far it has not been an issue.

As I am Mac dumb and have never used one I took a few moments to click on stuff and get around the interface. Everything seems obvious and out of the box, the MBP has all kinds of functionality, especially as it pertains to handling photos, music, mail, and particularly video which is a big reason for my purchase to begin with. After playing a while I let my daughter get on and she immediately uncovered the camera and Photo Booth which as it turns out can give you some crazy effects and has a very ingenious way of using the display as a flash for the camera. Never seen this implemented before now and it works rather well as a flash. She also did some stuff with Garage Band which I didn't even know was on there but may be quite useful in creating royalty free music for videos.

Now on to battery life. This thing has one hell of a battery life on it! I had it on all day at work on battery and that was about 0830 to 1630. When I got home and turned it back on it said it still had almost 3 hours left. Even if I am extremely conservative and take into account that I wasn't watch videos all day and transferring files, that gives me a good 8 hours which is better than any machine I've ever had by a long shot.

One of the most amazing things to me so far is the obvious lack of cooling vents and fan noise. It seems completely silent and as best I can tell does not even get even a little bit warm. I'm sure under some intensive video/processor work it will heat up but so far as cool as cucumber. I am guessing the case is used to dissipate heat.

That is pretty much it for now and I will probably update after some video work and further playing is done.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 06:48 PM
Dues Ex Machina
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Nov 2009
268 Posts
Apple all the way!
Everyone should be on a mac!
Im so excited for when their new o.s. lion comes out
-TMB
TheMadBombster is offline Find More Posts by TheMadBombster
Old May 06, 2011, 07:18 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Actually I kinda like being in an exclusive club to a point
Old May 06, 2011, 08:44 PM
Dues Ex Machina
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Nov 2009
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Actually I kinda like being in an exclusive club to a point
I agree 100% Its always fun to see the look on someones face when you tell them you have a MacBook Pro. Its like they know that they have been one-uped
Old May 07, 2011, 04:24 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
I switched back to apple 8 years ago and have had great experiences ever since. Best bang for buck in the industry.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old May 07, 2011, 06:30 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
I am playing with iMovie now. Kewl stuff!
Old May 08, 2011, 05:14 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Consider getting "super duper" for your backup. It does one thing time machine doesn't do and that is it creates a bootable backup on an external drive. That way if your internal drive fails, you can continue to use the computer by booting to the external drive. This provides a huge advantage in that you can choose when to get it fixed, whereas otherwise you must get it fixed before you can restore. This saved my skin when I had a failure at a critical time in a project.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old May 08, 2011, 05:28 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Got me a Samson Meteor Mic and some Sennheiser headphones today. Nice stuff.
Old May 08, 2011, 06:30 PM
Dues Ex Machina
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Nov 2009
268 Posts
Quote:
Got me a Samson Meteor Mic and some Sennheiser headphones today. Nice stuff.
I just use beats with in line mic. I love them! I also have Bose Companion 3 Series II hooked up. I love my set-up so much.
Old May 08, 2011, 06:51 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Them Beats is expensive!
Old May 08, 2011, 07:24 PM
Dues Ex Machina
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Nov 2009
268 Posts
Quote:
Them Beats is expensive!
My wallet knows that! Bose are expensive too. What can I say, Im a brand name whore
Old May 08, 2011, 08:09 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Me too but I'm cheap. I am pretty happy with the comfort of these headphones for sure. Been wearing them for an hour and no crazy squished ear pain