HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2011, 01:06 PM
Joined May 2011
10 Posts
Link
Looking to buy my 1st RC heli

To be honest I have no idea about these things. A co-worker has the Syma 3 Channel S107 and it looks cool. I'm not sure how reliable or consistent they are during flight.

I've been reading on here and watched a few videos. Right now I'm thinking of buying both S107 and the S009. I was also looking at the JXD 340.

What are your opinions of those three?

If you think I should skip out on those, what should I look into?

As of right now, I'm looking for a very controllable, very consistent, and a somewhat reliable heli.

I like the GYRO concept and I would like something that is very stable, I cannot stand something that is all over the place.

Thanks in advanced,

Justin
PorscheTurboGuy is offline Find More Posts by PorscheTurboGuy
Last edited by PorscheTurboGuy; May 06, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 01:24 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Hi Justin,

The cheap 3 channel toy helis, like the S107, are great fun and very stable. They really are a disposable item though. They tend not to last long, the motors overheat and seize and the tiny LiPo battery inside the heli has a limited lifespan. Don't let that put you off though, it's entirely possible to obtain months and months of use out of one, if you look after it and have luck on your side.

They are also a bit hit and miss, in regards to manufacturing quality. This isn't helped by the fact that popular models such as the S107 are often cheaply imitated and passed off as the real thing.

Once again, don't be alarmed or discouraged. I'm just informing you of the worst case scenarios.

Regarding handling, all the 3 channel micros are pretty much the same. There will be subtle differences in handling and response, but they are all easy to fly and very stable.

The Syma S107, S108, S109 and S110G (about half the size of an S107) are all good models. Syma do have some dud models though, so be sure to mention what you intend to buy when the time comes, so people here can advise you.

Some other good options to look into:
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old May 06, 2011, 01:29 PM
Joined May 2011
10 Posts
Great info! I will check those out! I want to keep it around $100 or less, Most of the ones I saw so far are $40-$70 on amazon.com

If I were to do it right the 1st time, what do you think I should? I'd rather not pick the wrong one, if you were to pick two under $100, which specif model would you go with?

Also, what should I be looking for in a 4 chan?

Justin
Old May 06, 2011, 01:43 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Good questions...

First off, I would be hunting around for a better place to shop. I would not spend above $40 for a micro 3 channel coaxial, including shipping.

I have an S107 and don't much like it as it is very slow in forward speed, but you may have different needs to me. One thing that the S107 has over faster models is precision though, it is very smooth and has more response when turning. The S107 seems to have more proportional control.

It's a touch call to pick just 2, but I would say the JXD 339 and UDI U807 would be my two picks. JXD and UDI have a level of quality about them that seems to stand above the rest.

I would suggest an S107 too if you want something that is more gentle in response.

A company named Double Horse seem to have a good range of 3 channel helis at the moment, take a look at some of their range here: http://www.rc-fever.com/rc-helicopte...c-337_604.html

MJX is another company to look into: http://www.megarc.com/mini-helicopte...c-104_172.html

The game really changes with the 4 channel helis in my opinion. I do not like the cheaper 4 channel helis, I think you really need to advance to a hobby grade heli to get the most benefit. Nine Eagles is something to look into, they are more of a hobby grade helicopter but still very reasonably priced: http://www.helipal.com/select-by-bra...elicopter.html
Old May 06, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined May 2011
10 Posts
Great info! Thanks for being so prompt! I'll be buying the ones you recommended right now. It's only a few bucks or so

Hopefully it works out!

Justin
Old May 06, 2011, 02:26 PM
Joined May 2011
10 Posts
Just about to place the order, it's around %7x.xx.

I looked at those 4 chan for around $70 for one, do you think it's better to just jump into a better 4 chan for that price?

Justin
Old May 06, 2011, 02:28 PM
United States, CA, Squaw Valley
Joined Apr 2011
244 Posts
I think everything Frank has said is right on the money about the 107. I just got mine and I loveit . But I think the fun factor dies down quickly with it. There is only so much you can do with it in stock mode. You can always mod it up like several people on here have done.

For a 4ch coax, I can only tell you what I have ordered. I cannot really give a honest opinion about it because I have not recieved it yet. But, the reviews on here seem pretty good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4CH-Alloy-Shark-...item27b63ff294

Hope this helps

Dave
davalf is offline Find More Posts by davalf
Last edited by davalf; May 06, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old May 06, 2011, 02:41 PM
Joined May 2011
10 Posts
I'm indecisive! I've decided to skip the 3 chan. and just into an 4 chan.

Frank, you've been very helpful! I think the 4 chan fits my needs, it seems the most precise!

For $100 or less, which 4 chan. should I look into?

Dave, that one on ebay seems to be the best bet for you?

Justin
Old May 06, 2011, 02:51 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Here's how I see it:

A 3 channel will provide instant gratification with minimal fuss. Your first flight will be a happy one, you will learn how to control it extraordinarily quickly. You will most likely master it within days, and at some point grow tired of it. The initial cost is low and you most likely won't need to spend any money maintaining it, other than perhaps some cheap spare parts like blades. The 3 channel will not teach you much if you are wishing to advance in this hobby though. The control scheme that they use is unique and not found in any other helicopter.

A 4 channel heli may take a little longer to tame, but it uses a conventional control scheme and is an excellent platform to begin your training, if you do decide to progress to bigger and better things.

I didn't mention any of this before as your first post suggested to me that you just wanted some cheap and quick fun - "I cannot stand something that is all over the place". To an extent, that's how the more advanced helicopters are, until you acquire the skill to tame them. It's a much more rewarding experience, but one that takes a lot more time and money.

Grab yourself one cheap 3 channel heli. Have some fun with it, decide if you like it and go from there.
Old May 06, 2011, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
244 Posts
It seemed to be good. I did not want a real tiny heli because I wanted to be able to fly outside. And I relied a lot on what people said here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1333779

I only ordered the 107 to keep me busy while I waited for the HQ852.
Old May 06, 2011, 02:53 PM
Joined May 2011
10 Posts
I'm looking the Nine Eagles Solo Pro (Yellow 2.4Ghz Edition) with an extra battery.

4 chan!
Old May 06, 2011, 03:00 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
The Solo Pro is a fine helicopter, but be aware that it is a single rotor. Much more difficult to fly compared to a coaxial.

A coaxial (the ones with two sets of rotors) is very stable and beginner friendly. They hover very well, and don't need to be told to do so. Release the sticks, and they naturally return to a steady hover.

The Free Spirit Micro (the red or green ones, not the larger white one), Solo or Bravo III are all 4 channel coaxials by Nine Eagles.

I'd start with a coaxial, if you want to experience a shallower learning curve. That said, lots of people (myself included) have successfully started with a single rotor, just expect to crash more and to take longer to learn how to effectively fly it.
Old May 06, 2011, 03:02 PM
Joined Apr 2011
244 Posts
The fixed pitch single rotor? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

I have heard of that one a lot. It looks like a very good deal. I am not sure it would handle outside flying very well at all because of its size. And it will be a little more difficult to fly because it is not a coax. Hopefuly some more people will chime in because my expertise is next to nothing.
Old May 06, 2011, 03:24 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
It's a good place to start. But, it won't handle wind... not just because of size, though. No fixed pitch heli handles wind well. Micro sized coaxes tend to be a waste of time for learning.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 06, 2011, 03:26 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Okay, lets clarify some things.

Forget about outdoor flying.

3 channel helis use an infrared (IR) control system (similar to how your TV remote works). Sunlight interferes with this signal making outdoor flight impossible. On top of this, they are too small, light and underpowered to handle the slightest breeze. On top of all this, range is very limited, even indoors you'll be lucky to obtain 10 meters.

A good 4 channel coaxial will usually feature a 2.4G control system. This is not susceptible to interference of any kind and gives you great range (around 300 meters). Once again, they will not handle a breeze of any kind, so can only be flown outdoors on a dead calm day.

A good 4 channel fixed pitch single rotor will also utilise a 2.4G control system. They can handle a mild breeze but still aren't ideal for outdoor flight until you have some decent piloting skills. On a very calm day though, you can really throw one around outside.

A 3 channel coaxial is a good place to start if you want some cheap and instant fun, at a minimal expense. That's all they offer, they will not teach you how to fly a true hobby grade helicopter - they prepare you for very little.

A 4 channel coaxial is the best compromise in terms of ease of use, cost and what they can teach you. This is where I suggest you start if you are serious about the hobby and hope to eventually progress to more challenging helicopters. You will learn throttle control, take-off and landings and general movement and orientation.

A 4 channel single rotor (fixed pitch) like the Solo Pro is similar to a 4 channel coaxial but they are not as stable and require more skill from the pilot, they take a lot more effort and time to learn to fly. They offer the most performance though, and you will take a lot longer to get bored of it.