HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2011, 11:32 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,563 Posts
Help!
Making a flying wing fuse and have some ?'s

Ok so my brother was flying his Sebart Sebach doing menuevers about 6-7ft from the ground and he made a small mistake ... so his plane was smashed up pretty good except for the wings they were still like new. so he gave me the wings to mess with.
so here is my idea and my ?'s
i made a small flying wing aways back out of the micro sukhoi wing and what i did was made a fuse from balsa. since it was so small i had to do no ribs or anything but I figure I will need to with a larger version I have planned.
so my Question is should I do a frame out of wood then cover it with monokote?
or
should I make it with foam and glass it?
and
what are the advantages and disadvantages of both ?

if it works out it would be an easy way to make a set of wings from almost anyplane into a flying wing with small modification to the plans.

here is a pic of the fuse design and a pic of the micro i made ahwile back that flew great.
wing will be removeable for easy transport and all electronics will be enclosed in the fuse as well
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Last edited by TheOne420; May 05, 2011 at 11:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 02:23 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,188 Posts
So what are you talking for wingspan? If disassembly of the wing for travel, etc is important, then balsa/wood for the structure/attachment would probably be best. But, I'd just go ahead with some dollar store foam and glue the whole mess together and go flying! Of course if the original plane was balsa and monokote, it'll be heavier than typical wings on this forum, so will need more center structure to handle flight loads.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2011, 08:53 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,563 Posts
the wings are super light and it will have a 55.5" ws the typhoon2 in the second pic has a wingspan of 39.4 " so at about 56"ws thats a lot to just tote around in my 2 door accord. so i think that balsa construction might be the stronger route. but will glassing a foam fuse be strong enough if i use balsa for extra strength where the wing will atach?
Old May 06, 2011, 09:36 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,188 Posts
Yeah, it would be interesting to see ya carting it around! I'd say that a glassed foam fuse would be fine if you used real fiberglass and epoxy/polyester resin (like the real planes) versus tissue or paper and wbpu like most of us use. That works for smaller planes and those that aren't too stressed, but with a 56" span you're beyond that. For max strength, glass over the balsa.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2011, 09:43 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,563 Posts
right on thanks for the info I will be getting everything ready. i already have the balsa and the airfoil cut so now its just putting it together and learning how to glass a fuse. lol
Old May 06, 2011, 10:23 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,188 Posts
there ya go, always learning something new!
RCG Plus Member