HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by I R Irv, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 05, 2011, 04:46 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
Discussion
Micro Nutball

9'' span from 2mm Depron (looks closer to 1.5mm to me) with a Vapor brick and gearbox (with ball bearings,J3Cub motor)and a carbon fiber 5030 prop (shoutchen gave me a great deal on these, can't thank him enough) 12.12grams and RTF with Hyperion 70mha 14.48grams. Heat molded the dihedral in with a wood jig and the oven, worked great. Just did a thrust test and this little setup pulled Just over 28 grams (WOW)
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; May 07, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 01:05 PM
ballin to keep from stallin ;)
United States, NC, Stanley
Joined Jul 2010
490 Posts
I built a 9" and a 8"...remove the fuselage and you'll save a few grams and just hot glue the motor to the front. Nice nutball!
RafterDodger is offline Find More Posts by RafterDodger
Old May 11, 2011, 03:29 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5 Posts
LOVE IT. I have a recently dismantled Vapor and have sourced the depron and the J3Cub motor is on the way. Just a couple questions.
How much dyhedral are you using?
Can you post links to your source for the prop and adapter?
Can you post a template for your sweet fuse/tail/rudder, or at least some rough dimensions?
What temp and durration for the oven?
Winged-Nut is offline Find More Posts by Winged-Nut
Old May 11, 2011, 05:35 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
Nut: every part of this plane is very flexible. I have aprox 16* dyhedral.
Heres a great place for micro parts.
http://bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=926 sorry he's out of the 5030 CF props.
As for the fuse/tail/rudder I just free-hand them about a 3 to 4'' high rudder.
You can see the wood jig I made it's three 4'' sections wide and 12'' long(12X12) and I'll use it for 8'' to 12'' Nutballs, Yes the center section stays the same size for all different sized Nutballs. My jig is splitting at the glue joint so the next one I'll bake all the moisture out of the wood first then cut and glue it. I drew a center line down the middle of the center section of the jig, made a center line mark at the LE & TE on the Nutball lined them up and tacked the Nutball down with UHU glue right were the motor and rudder would go. Then I found an old chair cushion tore the cover off it and I'm useing the foam that was in it. It's about an inch thick and I cut it to 13''x13'' layed it on top of the Nutball and jig and wrapped everything tightly with 2 Ace dandages. This really compressed the Depron into the jig witch is what I wanted and baked it for 30min. at 250 degrees in a pre-heated oven. I think that about it. What I found more important was my down thrust, had to add more. Right now it's about 3degrees right and 10 degrees down.(just guessing)
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; May 11, 2011 at 05:44 PM.