HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:47 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,263 Posts
Thanks Ben.

Ill get one as soon as they come out. I read over on that other forum... that all the experts may have bought a battery or two that wernt up to standards and there for the HK Turbine will be junk. Huh! I fly both EDFs and Turbines, and I have never noticed even the SLIGHTEST resemblance between a Gas Turbine engine and a Lipo Battery. Just a bunch of Freeking know it alls. The engines not even on the assemmbly line yet, but these guys think they know how its going to perform. If you ask me.. there just trying to defend why they paid way to much in the first place.

Entering Turbines for HK is a Huge step. They will with out a doubt come out with the best they can produce and once agian show how much the regular RC world is ripping us off. If they come out with anything less than perfect, There reputation will surely be hurt. Does anyone really think they would risk that, and produce a motor like Jet Joe..
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 02:50 PM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,817 Posts
I agree with you vettster
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Sep 02, 2011, 03:01 PM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Thanks Ben.

Ill get one as soon as they come out.
Good!

If they perform reasonably well, and sell at 60% of todays price level it will be a hit. Surely the blood-fans of the high-end brands will preach their usual sermons for sure. But at a reasonable price level many more will enter the turbine market and the odl-timers will soon be in minority!

"But again, the proof is in the pudding"

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:25 AM
Florence, Italy
Joined Jul 2008
24 Posts
News?
myzyo is offline Find More Posts by myzyo
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:52 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,263 Posts
I check on HK forums from time to time..as of lately...Nada

Thats ok...I want them to take as much time as they need to get it Perfect!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
I wonder if they are going to make an 80mm version, itís about time someone starts making a well priced turbine, i guess there is Kingteck etc but still a big market there.

with China, South Korea, Taiwan etc etc its hard to believe there is not a few copies already on the market?
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, MI, Ypsilanti Township
Joined Apr 2011
27 Posts
Hobby King Turbine,I wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_E View Post
HK have today added turbine FOD screens to their stock...

When will they release a turbine, and at what price?

Ben_E
I hope there quality is up to par or allot of people will be hurt.Such things a balance and most importantly metallurgy and quality control can't be so so, they must be as close to 100% as one can get.From what I know about HK quality I would not buy one of thier turbines on a bet.
Crazy 1 is offline Find More Posts by Crazy 1
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:30 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,182 Posts
It is very easy now to get a turbine right, case, front intake/cover, diffusor, shaft, tunnel, all easily made especially with cnc machines.
Compressor can be off the shelf, combustion chamber needs to be inconel if it is to last, but again easily made.
Secret to all turbines is the NGV and turbine wheel, these must be made/cast correctly with the correct grade of Inconel, and the turbine wheels xrayed for flaws.

The clever thing to do would buy in a NGV & turbine wheel of known quality, use a established ECU and make the rest.

So long as they are assembled and balanced correctly they should not be any different to any other standard turbines out there.

The only way they could go wrong now is bad turbine wheels, poor balance, poorly designed (or copied) electronics.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:00 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
yeah there like car turbos all the parts inside and manufactures have been making and perfecting them for decades now, plenty of know how out there.
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:14 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
So any newson the price range and timeline?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:22 PM
Falkland Islands
Joined Dec 2010
64 Posts
I read the 'quality' issues and am greatly amused...look at any average RC Heli, look at all those plastic parts in and around the main and tail rotor system..sure there are metal hubs and rotor cuffs etc....NONE of these come with any degree of certification at all.

Theres not a chance that everyone operates these at consistent levels of RPM etc...any one of those parts could fail and send you a rotor blade...which can easily kill you.

Most parts I know of are made in China, and I would bet that the major makes such as Hirobo etc do a quality audit of some sort.

I will watch with great interest into the advent of cheaper Turbines. I dont think its fair to critisize the costs of the known and established makes...dont forget, many parts are made and assembled in western countries...wages are higher and dont forget the research and development that goes on behind the scenes...AND the machinery such as Laser welding equipment and CNC machinery...NOT cheap!

As long as the turbine and compressor wheels are made by a known manufacturer and come with a real certificate, I would be happy to own one of these engines.
robwilkinson is offline Find More Posts by robwilkinson
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Id be glad to try one of these.. I bet they will be fine... This turbine story is taking too long for hk to launch so I believe they are gonna get it right.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:58 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwilkinson View Post
I read the 'quality' issues and am greatly amused...look at any average RC Heli, look at all those plastic parts in and around the main and tail rotor system..sure there are metal hubs and rotor cuffs etc....NONE of these come with any degree of certification at all.

Theres not a chance that everyone operates these at consistent levels of RPM etc...any one of those parts could fail and send you a rotor blade...which can easily kill you.

Most parts I know of are made in China, and I would bet that the major makes such as Hirobo etc do a quality audit of some sort.

I will watch with great interest into the advent of cheaper Turbines. I dont think its fair to critisize the costs of the known and established makes...dont forget, many parts are made and assembled in western countries...wages are higher and dont forget the research and development that goes on behind the scenes...AND the machinery such as Laser welding equipment and CNC machinery...NOT cheap!

As long as the turbine and compressor wheels are made by a known manufacturer and come with a real certificate, I would be happy to own one of these engines.
The compressor and bearing are from Germany. The manufacturer is Robbie I believe. I have no doubt that this engine will work flawlessly. HK is staking their entire reputation on it. To produce anything less than at least a Kingtech would be desasterous to their reputation.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:28 PM
Ireland, County Meath, Meath
Joined Oct 2008
86 Posts
They are realising the units shortly, and a couple are going out on test
Seamus O'Leprosy is offline Find More Posts by Seamus O'Leprosy
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy View Post
They are realising the units shortly, and a couple are going out on test
shortly.. that shortly is usually 6 months.. but I wouldn't care to wait..
as long as they test them first.
jets are maybe the best part of the hobby so far.. (at least for my taste)
ofcourse I will never give up on EDFs and especially the 90mm class that I'm starting to get on.
I'm only left with 3-5 foamiesand I'm going to stay with 3 at a point.
2 rclanders at th e 70mm category cougar and panther
1 flyfly MB339 which is themost stressless plane to fly
currently a viper jet 90 on the bench with a stumax
and an L-59 is on it's way..
that would be all.. now it's turbines time.. next plane will be the boomerang nano.. and then... scale.. it would be nice to have some cheap and reliable options.