Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:39 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Thanks for posting that picture Henke I was wondering how long ago this fantasy actually started. In fact If I recall correctly...that photo wasnt released till about 5 months after they first started on it. So we're actually closing in on the 2 YEAR mark!!

At least.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:19 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
At least.
2 years for developing a turbine is pretty good, but it's more like 2 years since it was ready to sell :-)

I still think we need to see engines pop up here and there before they hits the shelves.

Would however be fun to know what they are up to in terms of spec and components used.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Last edited by henke; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:05 AM
Joined Oct 2012
89 Posts
I really hope that Hobby King end up selling a turbine, I'll be buying one as a training powerplant, I'll just bench run it, play with it and learn from it before laying out my hard earned on a more expensive turbine (or 2) to use in an airframe.
SmokeyRobinson is offline Find More Posts by SmokeyRobinson
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:09 PM
Foam bounces...
SA, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyRobinson View Post
I really hope that Hobby King end up selling a turbine, I'll be buying one as a training powerplant, I'll just bench run it, play with it and learn from it before laying out my hard earned on a more expensive turbine (or 2) to use in an airframe.
Was thinking the same exact thing!
Turbs is offline Find More Posts by Turbs
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:08 AM
Joined Oct 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbs View Post
Was thinking the same exact thing!
Well, great minds think alike
SmokeyRobinson is offline Find More Posts by SmokeyRobinson
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:28 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,645 Posts
Quote:
You will be wasting your money just buying an engine for that purpose. Jet engines now are so easy to operate that they are much easier than glow or petrol/gasoline motors, so there is nothing to be gained from bench running as a means of learning to operate it. The engines are run entirely by the sophisticated ECU. You wiggle the throttle stick to start it, it doesn't have any needle valves that need tuning, and you trim down to stop it. If only glow and petrol engines were so easy to operate!
Go straight to the engine you intend to fly with. If that's a hobbyking engine then that's your choice, but there is no need to spend money on one just for bench practice.
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:17 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
You will be wasting your money just buying an engine for that purpose. Jet engines now are so easy to operate that they are much easier than glow or petrol/gasoline motors, so there is nothing to be gained from bench running as a means of learning to operate it. The engines are run entirely by the sophisticated ECU. You wiggle the throttle stick to start it, it doesn't have any needle valves that need tuning, and you trim down to stop it. If only glow and petrol engines were so easy to operate!
Go straight to the engine you intend to fly with. If that's a hobbyking engine then that's your choice, but there is no need to spend money on one just for bench practice.
I agree to almost 100%!! However you are still better of knowing a little about how the engine works as nothing is fool proof even though it's full autostart etc.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Oct 2009
986 Posts
Quote:

I would agree with you, however you're basing everything on assumptions of what is so far, complete vapour-ware.

We have no details on availability, reliability, customer support (pretty important if you're a newbie that needs help) size/thrust, or even price for that matter. I would only buy one after reputable third party modellers give it a stamp of approval.

For all we know, hobbyking might go a different route entirely and open up a separate "high-end" rc website that caters to this sort of thing. That's what I would do.
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:00 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
I agree to almost 100%!! However you are still better of knowing a little about how the engine works as nothing is fool proof even though it's full autostart etc.

Yes but you can put your Wren or jetcat or whatever on a testbench to get used to it before putting it in a model. The point is there is no need to buy a cheaper brand just to get used to turbines nowadays.
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2010
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_E View Post
HK have today added turbine FOD screens to their stock...

When will they release a turbine, and at what price?

Ben_E
Uhh...I could be wrong , but highly unlikely..............hobbyking has been selling fod screens for several years. I recall seeing them atleast 3 years ago and thinking what the hell are they selling these for, knowing they didn't sell turbines.
mshay is offline Find More Posts by mshay
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:03 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
982 Posts
They fit plenty of other turbines, I have bought about 6 over the last year or so and many of my mates have bought them as well.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:22 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshay View Post
Uhh...I could be wrong , but highly unlikely..........
You made the classic misstake of quoting a 1.5year old post ;-)
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,017 Posts
I wish they would get there #$%^ together. Last spring they didnt have the engine ready despite claims of it being ready for Feb 2012, so i bought a JetCat for a plane in need. In about 3 months time Im going to need another engine for my latest build.

Am I going to have to buy another! JC or Kteck??

I really want to try this motor...but they just dont seem to understand how many potential buyers their loosing with all this dinking around.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:11 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
I really want to try this motor...but they just dont seem to understand how many potential buyers their loosing with all this dinking around.
It might be a 2lb engine or 166lb engine who knows :-) The only thing we soon know is that it didn't happen in 2012 and probably wont happen in 2013 either
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:33 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,017 Posts
Lets hope your talking about the end of the world.. and not the end of the engine
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet