HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2011, 01:19 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
Discussion
HEX vs Y6

I want to build a multi-copter to carry a DSLR, are six motors enough and which is the better configuration, Hex or Y6.

Since the Hex spreads the points of thrust out more evenly around the COG I would have thought that was a better way to go, but I've seen some impressive AP from Y6's.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2011, 01:36 PM
Villebon sur yvette, France
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
it really depend of your use.

an hexa will be more stable because the surface covered by the propeller will be greater => more stable.
you have no loss of efficiency du to coaxial arrangement.

BUT with an Y6 you have a better fild of view.
catlord is offline Find More Posts by catlord
Old May 05, 2011, 01:42 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Av8Chuck, I have had 2 instances of motor loss during flight with my Hexa, both times bullet connectors are the suspected culprit. Found a poor solder joint that I had done. Anyway both times the Hexa crashed, I couldnt keep it in the air. It was on my rear motor, motor 4. I dont know if a Hexa would be better able to be landed if it was one of the side motors where you have 2 motors on each side. I have seen somewhere footage of someone landing a Y6 that had lost a prop.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old May 05, 2011, 01:47 PM
Villebon sur yvette, France
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
An hexa that loose one motor will start yawing a lot but you can still land ( quickly !) normaly.
did you find the IC errors on you log ?
catlord is offline Find More Posts by catlord
Old May 05, 2011, 02:12 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
I guess because of the greater FOV on the Y6 you could keep the camera closer to the frame for a higher COG, I'm not sure how much of a benefit that would be or if you had a ridiculously wide angle lens, like the GoPro the additional FOV might be helpful.

Its doubtful that either a Y6 or Hex would continue to fly if a motor failed while carrying a ~1Kg payload. I would hope you could at least choose where you were going to land/crash.

I was curious more about the stability of each design. Most of the footage that I've shot, and seen, from quads has that "quad wobble." I have spent a lot of time balancing, trimming, and adjusting to reduce that. Wouldn't having fewer points of lift exacerbate that?

Does having all the props so close together on a Hex effect the stability or potentially increase vibration?

The one X8 that I have seen the props on the top rotated in the same direction as its counterpart on the bottom, does the top motor on the Y6 spin in the same or opposite direction as the bottom motor?
Old May 05, 2011, 03:17 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
It was a KK blue board catlord, no logs available.

I can only go from my very limited experience. Before my Hexa I had a basic quad with KK blue board. I then made a Hexa with the KK blue board. My experience has been that the quad was easier for me to keep orientation right even though I have lights on the rear of my Hexa. Apart from that I think the quad felt more agile however Im very inexperienced and I quite probably dont have my radio setup to have the Hexa fly as well as it should.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old May 05, 2011, 04:59 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post
I guess because of the greater FOV on the Y6 you could keep the camera closer to the frame for a higher COG, I'm not sure how much of a benefit that would be or if you had a ridiculously wide angle lens, like the GoPro the additional FOV might be helpful.

Its doubtful that either a Y6 or Hex would continue to fly if a motor failed while carrying a ~1Kg payload. I would hope you could at least choose where you were going to land/crash.

I was curious more about the stability of each design. Most of the footage that I've shot, and seen, from quads has that "quad wobble." I have spent a lot of time balancing, trimming, and adjusting to reduce that. Wouldn't having fewer points of lift exacerbate that?

Does having all the props so close together on a Hex effect the stability or potentially increase vibration?

The one X8 that I have seen the props on the top rotated in the same direction as its counterpart on the bottom, does the top motor on the Y6 spin in the same or opposite direction as the bottom motor?
They spin the opposite. I built a micro X8 and they spun opposite also. I thought thats the only waqy they would fly. Are you sure they were spinning the same way? Never flew a hexa but built an octo nd did not like it. Too many arms. I like the Y6 and it is easier to keep orientation. I just finished a mini Y6 but not for video use as its too small-> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434230

Here is a vid of my 4s Y6. I am building another for AP w/GoPro mount and a mount for my NEX-5. Already have the 2nd frame but Just trying to decide which motors to use->

Carbon Fiber Y6 Hexacopter on 4s (4 min 24 sec)
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old May 06, 2011, 03:36 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,928 Posts
The X8 he is referring to did actually have the bottom props rotating the same direction as the top. This worked because it was a quad, and it had counter rotating props (like a quad). You could actually lose up to four motors and it would continue to fly just fine as long as you did not lose two motors on the same arm. The advantage also is you can use a standard quad controller.

Y6 needs to rotate opposite.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old May 06, 2011, 08:57 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
The X8 he is referring to did actually have the bottom props rotating the same direction as the top. This worked because it was a quad, and it had counter rotating props (like a quad). You could actually lose up to four motors and it would continue to fly just fine as long as you did not lose two motors on the same arm. The advantage also is you can use a standard quad controller.

Y6 needs to rotate opposite.
do u have a link to the vid?
Site Sponsor
Old May 06, 2011, 10:05 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,928 Posts
VIDEO0012 (4 min 8 sec)
Old May 07, 2011, 01:02 AM
FPV = Fun Powered Vehicle
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
168 Posts
Hmmm . Hard to tell from the video but it looks like the top and bottom rotors are rotating opposite of each other. My cpu sucks. The video keeps freezing. What does it look like to you Tony?

Cheers
LokeyFPV is offline Find More Posts by LokeyFPV
Old May 07, 2011, 01:14 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LokeyFPV View Post
Hmmm . Hard to tell from the video but it looks like the top and bottom rotors are rotating opposite of each other. My cpu sucks. The video keeps freezing. What does it look like to you Tony?

Cheers
Thats what I thought too
Site Sponsor
Old May 07, 2011, 11:13 AM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,928 Posts
They are definitely not rotating opposite, i think the frame rate is making it hard to see in video. this x8 is running on a gaui 344 controller. the top and bottom motors are in standard quad configuration with 2 normal and 2 reverse. The bottom motors are running from the same outputs with a y connector and 4 more escs. they are wired baclwards so that that bottom props spin in the same direction as the top. This is a prototype of my x8 450 frame, witespy was flying it and we tested it with random combinations of motors disabled. this one was flying with 2 small battery packs, one for top motors and one for bottom motors. very redundant no prpblems flying with only 4 motors remaining. these is another video i cant seem to find which shows motors being enabled and disabed during flight.
Old May 07, 2011, 01:29 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
hex = ugly y6 = wins IMO ofcourse
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 07, 2011, 03:17 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
I'm trying to figure out which would be the best configuration for AP, an X8 is potentially the easiest upgrade and although I've been getting OK results with my GoPro I've had to shoot in r3 which is 720P60, I'd rather shoot 1080P30 but the quad is just not stable enough. I've only flown with the GU-344 and would love to upgrade to something with position and hold etc., but I'm intimidated by all the programing, soldering, and adjusting.

Even the excellent sample videos from the usual suspects are over cranked at 60FPS from the T2i and GH2, this is the benchmark I'd like to achieve:
Gaui - Spring In Zurich (3 min 33 sec)
but I think this was shot at 60fps too.

I'm not out to win any beauty contest, just ned something that's stable, can safely lift an additional 1.5Kg and is smooth. That's all the sexy I need...