HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2011, 11:59 AM
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Landing Gear Repair

Surprisingly have not found any articles on the topic.

I fly a Yak 54 from Seagull, with a 20CC DLE. Last weekend, one of the main wheels came off on landing. Consequently it took off the entire landing gear along with its mount (wood), from the fuse.

Wanted to check what will be the best material to repair this. Most people have been suggesting birchwood, but am not too sure if it provdes any specific advantage.

The landing gear itself comes in 2 parts and are bolted to the fuse. In the case of my crash, only half of the wood has come off. So should I cut out the entire section of the landing gear mount, and repair with one common plywood structure, or would repairing the half that has come off, serve the purpose.

The total depth of the structure is approx 12 - 14 mm, would using cross grains of 4 MM ply in 3 sections be a good idea.

Thanks & rgds
Rishi
rashdon is offline Find More Posts by rashdon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
I guess some pics will help.
rashdon is offline Find More Posts by rashdon
Old May 09, 2011, 12:20 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
I always polyeurethane glue when repairing a a landing gear frame. I would always prefer it to rip out againat the same spot. All you have to do is cut away the old glue and reaply.
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer