HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:01 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
msdumo, that sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Many will recommend the UM T-28 as a first 4-ch micro because of its predictable handling and ease of control.

Switching to a larger bird, many find them easier to fly because they are not as 'twitchy' to control and are generally more stable in flight. Your plan to shelve the 109 for a while is a good one, as without good 4-ch experience you will most likely end up a) dissapointed and b) with a busted 109! Again, I reckon the UM T-28 is a good bridging step.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:19 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
You'll love the UM T-28. You'll really "earn your wings" on that because you'll learn about rolls, inverted flight, etc. It's twitchy, but get a DX6i or something and expo the hell out of the ailerons and elevator. I can fly without any expo, but I still keep about 25% on elevator and 35% on aileron as it calms the plane down a tad.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:14 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,487 Posts
do we have the UMX Sbach on the list yet? if not its about a 9

i still challenge that a Long-Ez is not a 10 maybe 7 AT MOST
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:50 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,995 Posts
I would put the UMX Beast/UMX Sbach 342 at about an 8.5 for both... they're tough, but after flying with ailerons for a while definitely doable with some practice on a sim.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:51 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,487 Posts
the Sbach HAULS more so then the Beast its much slicker and lighter with the same power system
it also doesnt slow down like the Beast do to much less wing area
id put the Beast at 7 or so with the Sbach at a 9
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:49 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Newbie here, but have 4 planes, champ, um t-28, super cub and recently the beast. 4 crash free flights on the beast. I'd put the beast around 8.5 or 9 if the UM T-28 is 6. Either that or put the UM T-28 at 4.5 or so. The beast is at least twice as hard to fly than the UM T-28 in my opinion so unless this graph is logarithmic

7 is too low for the beast. Seven is "7 -- Good 2nd plane with flight instruction/Sim" There is no way the beast is a good 2nd plane for someone. At least a 3rd or 4th plane, and you still need good reflexes/muscle memory. That would be like, okay man, you've mastered the champ, it's time to maiden your beast. I don't think anyone would recommend that unless the object is to see how many parts you can separate the beast in to on a maiden flight.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:09 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Newbie here, but have 4 planes, champ, um t-28, super cub and recently the beast. 4 crash free flights on the beast. I'd put the beast around 8.5 or 9 if the UM T-28 is 6. Either that or put the UM T-28 at 4.5 or so. The beast is at least twice as hard to fly than the UM T-28 in my opinion so unless this graph is logarithmic

7 is too low for the beast. Seven is "7 -- Good 2nd plane with flight instruction/Sim" There is no way the beast is a good 2nd plane for someone. At least a 3rd or 4th plane, and you still need good reflexes/muscle memory. That would be like, okay man, you've mastered the champ, it's time to maiden your beast. I don't think anyone would recommend that unless the object is to see how many parts you can separate the beast in to on a maiden flight.
Good post.

I expect that most of the people who are likely to find this thread useful are beginners. Hence, it is not an attempt to granularly grade every single plane out there, but only those which are likely to feature early on in people's hangars.

If we follow that logic, most planes should be rated 10 on the present scale, or close to it anyway. Only a very select few qualify as "good first planes". A few more are good transitional planes - aileron trainers - and some are docile enough for consideration as the third plane, by which time most pilots are starting to develop personal preferences and a desire to experiment a little, but probably not the skill and experience for EDF jets or hotliners and the like.

Unless a plane is clearly aimed at beginners, it's almost irrelevant whether it's a 8.7 or a 9.4. Anything "3D" is in that category, especially the ultra-micros. Merely discussing them on this thread will give some beginners the notion that it's a natural progression after the Champ. It's not. There's probably a bigger step from Champ->Beast than from n00b->Champ. Learning to fly a gentle beginner plane may take minutes, a couple of hours, or a few Saturday mornings. Learning to keep alive and fly a 3D plane in the manner for which it was designed will take far more dedication.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:58 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
bump. Gotta keep this at the top until it gets sticky(ed)
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
I just did a 'Thread' search and didn't see the Cox Sky Cruiser listed, so I'd reccommend it for a basic learner if you don't have access to a club or a trainer. It dont look like a general aviation type (tho I like its shape). It just needed a little trim out of box (up elevator).

I was so impressed I failed to notice a tree. I can vouch that it is also a tough little critter.
Jim48AR is offline Find More Posts by Jim48AR
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:03 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Haha, nice one Jim48AR! I don't suppose you'd be able to give it a rating using the scale?

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:06 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I have very little experience , but the Great Planes Flylite has to be a 2. Nice thread btw.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:15 AM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Got my UM-T28 and have +10 battery cycles of flying time.
My first 4 ch plane after the Radian.

The rating on this plane is 6. I have a used PK BF109 Messerschmitt on the shelf while I gain experience with UM-T28. There is no rating for the BF109 and I am aware of takeoff and landing difficulties.

I've got a zillion hours of Phoenix sim time on the BF109.

Can someone give me a rating and am I ready for this plane?
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:42 AM
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
The RCU Bipe is a #8? This is the plane that brought me back in the hobby. If you can fly it on Real Flight, you can fly it no problem, at least on low rates. It reminds me of a little faster Slo V with rudder.

It is definately no trainer but DEFINATELY not a #8. I'd rate it 2-3, mainly because it has a rudder and frail landing gear. It is definately not EDF territory.
monel_funkawitz is offline Find More Posts by monel_funkawitz
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:19 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,119 Posts
Bump!

Also wondering about the Parkzone Stryker. I see the "C" model listed. Are they all essentially the same?
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:25 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Just updating what I think these planes should be:

Champ: 2.5
Super Cub LP: 3.5
UM T-28: 5
UMX Beast: 9

I think the Super Cub is rated too low on the current listing. The Super Cub is harder to fly than the champ because of the speed of it and the way that the wind can really toss it around if you aren't experienced enough to correct the cub in the winds. The UM T-28 is rated too high. It should only be 5, and the beast should be a 9 at least because it's not really a "good 3rd" plane.

Consider this:

1. Champ
2. UM T-28
3. Beast

That's what I did, but it wasn't optimal. There is a P-51/Corsair or something missing in between the UM T-28 and Beast. I was able to do it, but I have immersed myself in this hobby more than most people would or have time for. I really wasn't ready for the beast and should of had something between #2 and #3. The UM T-28 can't prepare you for the speed and aerobatics of the beast.

I think the scale needs to be expanded at the top. We need to go past 10 maybe to 12 or 13 because there are planes that are harder to handle than the beast and shouldn't be 1 point away from the beast. At the current, the scale seems too spread out from 0 to 8, then at the end it just bunches a ton of expert planes together from 9.01 to 10. We need the scale to expand at the top so we can rate the expert planes against themselves and differentiate between intermediate, advanced, and pro/expert planes.
Last edited by binaryclock; Aug 22, 2011 at 09:35 PM.