SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:18 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,495 Posts
just saying age has little to do with it wile he started on some thing easyer none the less he is flying the wings off any thing he gets his hands on

i have seen gown men i would not trust to solo after any amount of instruction
and kids that took only a few flights to solo

also thinking about about it not sure were i would but the Bonanza the stock conventional tail maybe a 8.5 and the V tail as a 9 mostly do to the setup needed to get the Vtail mixing right and its faster landing speed and bad habit of dropping a wing in a stall
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 07:56 AM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
Has tower hobbies p-51 mustang been rated yet?
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old May 11, 2011, 07:35 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Not sure. Are you looking for a rating or would you like to give one?

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old May 11, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
looking I guess---I'm a newbie with sim experience. I have a tower p-51, and on my 2nd flight ever(right after the hawksky flew), I put the p-51 in the air.Went well for a few slow laps around the field, then tip stalled it and broke off the cowl. Repaired it, but it's been to windy to fly since. Don't feel I have enough experience to compare to other models and rate it, but curious what others say, maybe give me a benchmark for where my flying skills (or lack of) are at. Thanks.
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old May 11, 2011, 09:29 PM
Old
Joined Nov 2010
37 Posts
I have an idea for a new thread that spans all RC ...

When you buy the Phoenix Sim, you can get a DX5e Spectrum TX.

The idea is:
What it the perfect hanger for aircraft/boats/etc. that are simple enough to be happy with a basic radio?

Before I cross post in many threads ... where would this go?

R
RHough is offline Find More Posts by RHough
Old May 11, 2011, 09:37 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I can't see the Tower Hobbies P-51 on the list anywhere, but all the 51's that are there are rated 5 and above. If it is targeted at new flyers and looks scale-ish then it'd most likely be between a 5 and a 6.

A good tip for searching the listing is to press 'Ctrl + F' to open the 'search page' utility and type in the plane you want to find. If that doesn't work be less specific, for example just then I looked for 'Tower Hobbies P-51', then just 'P-51'.

If you tip-stalled and failed to recover I'd say you need a bit more practise with your Hawksky. Once you learn to fly well with that you should be fine. Here are a few rules for flying in general:

1) Stay 3 mistakes high, especially when learning. Height is your friend, it gives you time to fix mistakes.

2) Fly within your abilities. No point in trying to do aerobatics if can't keep it in controlled level flight. Progress gradually.

3) Learn from your mistakes. Try and find out what went wrong if it isn't obvious. Videoing your flights helps a lot with this. This isn't an excuse to blame the plane, though, as more often than not its the pilot at fault.

I know it all sounds brutally obvious, but they really are the golden rules of flying.

Cheers - boingk
Old May 11, 2011, 09:47 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHough View Post
What it the perfect hanger for aircraft/boats/etc. that are simple enough to be happy with a basic radio?

Before I cross post in many threads ... where would this go?
This would most likely go in Parkflyers I think, you'd definitely get some worthwhile responses. Title it something like 'List of models which DON'T need computerised radios' and people will be interested.

To be honest it is highly skill related, I know some people who don't use expo at all and confidently pilot their models through all sorts of maneuvers. Some swear by expo on all their planes, aerobatic or not.

All exponential does is make the controls less touchy off centre, with small control surface movements at first and then more and more movement per input as you push the stick further out. It lets you fly smoothly while you cruise around and still do aerobatics when you want.

For example, I fly a 50mm EDF jet that a lot of people would recommend at least a small amount of expo for. I fly it on 70% throws (via the Hi/Lo rate switch on my DX5e) and do not have a problem even at high speeds. Low speeds the 100% throws are more usefull, especially when landing. Even though it spins like a top at high speeds and will bank hard enough to stall I do not think I need or want expo to fly it. Others opinions will differ.

Another aspect you need to look at with your 'basic control' thread is extra functions. Things like retractable landing gear, flaps, bomb drops and other things all use channels on a radio. My basic 5ch DX5e could cope with one extra thing apart from basic flight controls, for most pilots this would be landing gear or flaps. If you want more add-ons then you need a radio with more channels.

I hope that helps, and remember that it all comes down to pilot skill and channel availability.

Cheers - boingk
Old May 11, 2011, 10:06 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,495 Posts
still havent added the E-Flite Bonanza and Seagull Edge 540 .60 as an 8

Bonanza may need 2 entries since the conventional tail that comes with it is easier to fly then the optional V-tail kit
Strait tail would be 8.5 and the V-tail a 9.5
Last edited by Elios000; May 11, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:47 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Done. Must have missed your post Elios000, sorry about that.

Cheers - boingk
Old May 11, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,495 Posts
np any issues with listing the two tails as different ratings?
Old May 12, 2011, 03:42 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Maybe the famous PZ Radian should be rated as a 3. It can be difficult to launch it the first times. Before you learn to master the throttle input, and to give some down rudder when launching. When the Radian is up in the air it's easy enough for a beginner. But it helps to do the first launches together with a experienced friend, to avoid the well known death-loop.

RC Plane Crashes into a Gate (0 min 35 sec)
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old May 12, 2011, 07:13 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
lol that was ridiculous... how aout you mechanically trim it first and then toss it
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 12, 2011, 09:10 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
Contributing some ratings

EasyStar: 3

It may literally be "easy", but I still don't think it's so simple that you can give it to somebody who's never before held a Tx in their hands and expect to have a better-than-even chance of getting it back undamaged.

MiniMag: 5 (3ch) or 6 (with ailerons)

A little bit twitchy and "exciting" by comparison, especially during grass take-offs. Shorter wings give it a higher roll rate. Its steeper glide ratio makes it more suitable (than the EZ*) for flying in tighter spaces.

Merlin: 7.5
A much faster and smaller plane that can easily get out of hand. Ability to do consecutive loops at breakneck speed, intentionally or otherwise, with a folding prop which may break if it's spinning at the point where the plane touches down.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 12, 2011, 01:53 PM
Old
Joined Nov 2010
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
To be honest it is highly skill related, I know some people who don't use expo at all and confidently pilot their models through all sorts of maneuvers. Some swear by expo on all their planes, aerobatic or not.

Another aspect you need to look at with your 'basic control' thread is extra functions. Things like retractable landing gear, flaps, bomb drops and other things all use channels on a radio. My basic 5ch DX5e could cope with one extra thing apart from basic flight controls, for most pilots this would be landing gear or flaps. If you want more add-ons then you need a radio with more channels.

I hope that helps, and remember that it all comes down to pilot skill and channel availability.

Cheers - boingk
I agree. I had one of the first FM Airtronic "programmable" radios when I was flying F3B.

When I look at the scale:

0 -- Safe to give to a young child
1 -- Young flyer can solo (eg: ages 4-8 with adult supervision)
2 -- Beginner can solo
3 -- Beginner can solo with sim experience
4 -- Beginner can solo with flight instruction
5 -- Beginner can solo with extensive flight instruction/Easy 2nd plane
6 -- Good 2nd plane
7 -- Good 2nd plane with flight instruction/Sim
8 -- Good 3rd plane
9 -- Good 3rd plane with flight instruction/Sim
10 -- Requires expert flyer

Everything up to at least 7 can be flown with a 4-5 channel radio. Thus anything that would need a programmable 6+ channel TX would be an 8 or above. Anything with ailerons is an 8 or above too?

Everything to 7 is "just stop trying to fly it, let it fly itself"?

It is very hard to separate pilot skill/experience from the airframe design.

Great resource, I'm glad you kick started it again!

R
RHough is offline Find More Posts by RHough
Old May 12, 2011, 08:16 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHough View Post
I agree. I had one of the first FM Airtronic "programmable" radios when I was flying F3B.

When I look at the scale:

0 -- Safe to give to a young child
1 -- Young flyer can solo (eg: ages 4-8 with adult supervision)
2 -- Beginner can solo
3 -- Beginner can solo with sim experience
4 -- Beginner can solo with flight instruction
5 -- Beginner can solo with extensive flight instruction/Easy 2nd plane
6 -- Good 2nd plane
7 -- Good 2nd plane with flight instruction/Sim
8 -- Good 3rd plane
9 -- Good 3rd plane with flight instruction/Sim
10 -- Requires expert flyer

Everything up to at least 7 can be flown with a 4-5 channel radio. Thus anything that would need a programmable 6+ channel TX would be an 8 or above. Anything with ailerons is an 8 or above too?

Everything to 7 is "just stop trying to fly it, let it fly itself"?

It is very hard to separate pilot skill/experience from the airframe design.

Great resource, I'm glad you kick started it again!

R
Amount of channels doesnt really have much to do with it. I have three channel flying wings that wouldn't last ten seconds in a beginners hands. My Stevens Aero Adrenaline Rush is the same way 3 channels and its a handful the entire time its in the air. Jump over to my nitro powered Ultra Stick 60 and it flies as gentle as most trainers but is 7 channels.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance