Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:52 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
The list is intended for planes that are set up properly... regardless of what the manufacturer says, in general. Some planes are terribly set up from the manufactuer, such as the original 35mm EDF jets from HK, for example, which tended to be underpowered and tail heavy on their recommended 350mah 2s packs.

The little warbirds can definitely be a handful - I learnt on a PZ UM P-51, though, so everything is relative and 'your mileage may vary' as they say.

One thing I've found with people and 'sensetive' controls is that they are set up with waaaay to much throw - 45 degrees or more in some cases. I usually don't have more than 30 degrees or so on my models for any surface, and thats for aerobatic models. 3D models are a different case alogether and require unusually large throws.

I do like the look of that small P-40 though FLOEY, thanks for the link.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:23 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
One thing I've found with people and 'sensetive' controls is that they are set up with .
In my case P-40 I've moved the CG as far back as possible = sensitive controls.
I just have to find the correct adjustment.
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:33 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Is there a post with all the same info only arranged by manufacturer and model alphabetically?
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:27 AM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
I didn't see the Durafly Monocoupe "Little Butch" rated.

I'm thinking about this plane as my 2nd.

If anyone can rate it, that would be great to see.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Last edited by PiperRon; Feb 18, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:29 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon View Post
I didn't see the Durafly Monocoupe "Little Butch" rated.
I'm thinking about this plane as my 2nd.
If anyone can rate it, that would be great to see.
Depends on what your first plane was, how -comfortable- you were with it, and how much progress you made pushing that's plane's envelope.

The hobbyking description was *not* encouraging with sentence like '[full scale original] ...was built to meet the needs of racing pilots' and 'high performance and aerobatic capability.' However that's balanced by 'can be slowed right down offering stable flight characteristics for those looking for a relaxing Sunday flyer.'

The thread at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727422 ha a few 'maiden reviews' that say about the same thing, that it's a hot rod that can behave in a docile manner.

Unfortunately there were many comments about bad servos right out of the box which aside from the QC aspects can be discouraging for new folks who don't have spare parts lying around.

It sound like it might be a good 2nd plane if maidened and trimmed by someone more experienced.

Read the thread and follow the suggestions of those who have already been down that road. Then come back here and give us the 'newbie point of view review' to add to the list.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
Getting good at foam repair
Australia, QLD, Surfers Paradise
Joined Aug 2012
244 Posts
On the "Little Butch"

Suggested Rating = 3 or 4

1: Toughness - I've had a few noseovers + 1 minor crash when battery slipped out. Al stilll in one piece
2: Ease of control - 2ch, 3ch, 4ch? 4ch control needs rudder mix around 50% for best flight
3: Speed - Very controllable fast or slow
4: Size - Excellent size to fit in the boot of your smaller car and looks great in the air

I fully agree needs some (though minimal) experience to set up to an easy flying condition including trim/expo and most importantly rudder/aileron mix.

It is not a clipped wing cub like the full scale LB so flying is relatively easy - however it can get twitchy in wind.

It's a heavy plane and drops quickly when power is turned off.

Little Butch would be a great 2nd plane - behaves well in the air and has heaps of power to get out of trouble - but expect to have a few rough taildragger takeoffs and landings if you're not used to them
GTrain is offline Find More Posts by GTrain
Last edited by GTrain; Feb 19, 2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: add TESS review
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:19 AM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
GTrain... Thanks for that review and rating.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:26 PM
United States, MA, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2013
86 Posts
unfortunately not many scratchbuild models on that list. not too keen on plopping down $100 or more on the plane and parts. i'm more than comfortable building the thing myself so long as it's an easy to fly first plane type thing.

i really want to do a wing first though, bank and yank is what i'm just used to in almost any flying-type simulation, so i'm comfortable with it
joekitch is offline Find More Posts by joekitch
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:48 AM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
unfortunately not many scratchbuild models on that list. not too keen on plopping down $100 or more on the plane and parts. i'm more than comfortable building the thing myself so long as it's an easy to fly first plane type thing.

i really want to do a wing first though, bank and yank is what i'm just used to in almost any flying-type simulation, so i'm comfortable with it
I hear ya, regarding scratch builds. I included reviews on some, but they never made it into the ratings.

Here is the post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23104676

This post rated one of the F22 scratch builds. Poster says they even use it as a club trainer. Might be of interest to a new flyer.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=301

I can understand that the number of variables involved in a scratch vs PNP/RxR/etc is greater, but even a novice reviewer can give a hint as to where it might land on the 0-10 scale.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:03 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
Is there a post with all the same info only arranged by manufacturer and model alphabetically?
Hi there mate if you go to the front page and are looking for a particular model just use your browers 'Search' function - hit Ctrl + F and you'll get a box to type the word or words into. It will then highlight and take you too all matching words.

I initially grouped all model by difficulty as it makes it a lot easier to see what is appropriate and what is not for certain skill levels.

I've also entered the Durafly Monocoupe 'Little Butch' in, although somewhat higher than a '3' as its a full-house model that is semi-scale and as such will not fly like a true trainer. It would indeed make a better second or third plane.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: I've also noticed a model I have is not on the list; the Dreamflight Alula. I'd be hesitant to rate it as anything less than 6 or 7 as its fairly sensitive in pitch, easy to break the nose off of and requires both a good launch and good understanding of gliding technique to fly. It is also somewhat confusing to orient for new flyers due to its plain EPO finish and flying wing style silhouette.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub

Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub: 6.5

Toughness: Heavy airframe and foam construction means serious damage is likely from a hard impact. I tip-stalled from 30 feet and sheared the fuselage at the firewall. On the plus side -- foam safe CA repaired the damage quickly with no other ill effects.

Ease of control: 4 channel, and you need to coordinate rudder+ailerons. Very scale behaviour, the Cub does not turn neatly without coordinated controls.

Speed: Not a speed demon, but the weight of the airframe requires keeping more throttle on, with a slightly faster cruise than expected. Landing requires a reasonably long final approach, because there are no flaps to permit slower, steeper approaches.

Size: Excellent visibility with 48" wingspan and yellow colour scheme. Easy to keep oriented. Big enough to fly in moderate wind, but still fits into the trunk of my Mustang.
filmamigo is offline Find More Posts by filmamigo
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
Flyzone Micro Albatros

Flyzone Micro Albatros: 2.25

Toughness: Very light construction, and flying over grass, is a good combination to prevent serious damage from mistakes. Harder impacts (trees, concrete) may cause propellor drivetrain damage (the weak link on this model).

Ease of control: 3 channel. Plenty of power and control authority lets you get the plane out of trouble (i.e. recover from a stall, power through a wind gust, navigate obstacles.) Yet the controls are not overly sensitive, preventing much of the over-controlling a new pilot might experience with a quicker plane.

Speed: Nice and slow. Lots of lift + lots of drag from the biplane design means this plane will fly very slowly before stalling, and will not disappear like a rocket on full throttle. Flying directly into a steady breeze, you can easily hover this plane. Blip the throttle forward, and off you go again!

Size: Tiny size makes this plane susceptible to wind -- don't bother flying in anything more than 5 MPH. It's so small that you COULD lose track of it in the sky, but it flies so slowly that you will rarely fly that far away. You can easily fly circuits around a baseball diamond. At 300 metres, it's tough to see which way the plane is oriented.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
E-flite Jenny JN-4 Slow Flyer 250

E-flite Jenny JN-4 Slow Flyer 250: 4

Toughness: Fragile construction of light foam. Light weight helps prevent damage, but it's not a small plane. There's lots of wing area to catch errant breezes. Wind or overzealous use of elevator will fold the wings, unless the plane is finished with the optional rigging wires (I used fishing line.) Nose-overs are harmless, but firmer impacts may crack the thin foam or the thin plastic cowling. Recommend making three immediate upgrades: rigging, larger wheels (the included wooden wheels do not rotate easily and are a pain to install), and reinforcement for the rudder control point (otherise the foam will bend, leaving you without any rudder authority.)

Ease of control: 3 channel, but when there is a breeze it would be nice to have 4 channels. On a dead-calm day, 3 channels gives all the control needed. The plane has generous dyhedral, making a stable platform that loves to fly straight. CG is easily attained. ROG takeoffs and hand launches are both completely uneventful and predictable. Landings are simple, basically just lower the throttle to 1/4 or less and the plane will fly itself down onto the ground. Light weight demands ALWAYS taking off and landing into the wind.

Speed: Light weight and lots of drag make for a pleasant slow flyer. Wide open throttle does not greatly increase forward velocity, it mostly increases lift. Leave the throttle between 1/3 and 1/2 and you can lazily circle a soccer field all day long.

Size: The relatively large airframe makes it easy to see the flight orientation at all time, and even at full altitude (400 feet) it's very visible.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:32 PM
United States, MD, St Mary's
Joined Apr 2013
187 Posts
Very helpful listing. Thanks for the work compling this Boingk! I was a bit disappointed to not see a rating for the Flyzone Acro Wot Mk 2, but obviously there will be planes that don't get rated right away.

Is the list on the front page being kept current with the ratings proposed through the course of the thread? Hoping so, as I'm not sure I want to wade through the entire thread looking for a specific plane.

Also on that point, I noticed that at least one plane is listed twice on the front page under two different ratings - the E-flite Apprentice 15e is lsited as both a 2 and a 4.5. Personally, I'd probably put it at about a 4 - 4.5. It's what I've been flying as my first plane and I've really enjoyed it. I think I've benefited greatly from some serious sim time before first flight with the Apprentice, but in the 6 weeks or so since I started flying I've found it to be quite forgiving and damage tolerant. Dual rates are probably advisable for the novice pilot as well as some supervision/instruction, but I would say it makes for a very good first plane for someone interested in the hobby.
Snardo is offline Find More Posts by Snardo
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:28 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Not a worry, Snardo - what originally irked me about these lists were that no-one kept them updated... or they did originally and then lost interest.

Its all being kept current by me, and any errors like the one you have pointed out are being fixed along the way. Thanks!

I'll enter the Cub, Jenny and Albatross in there as well as the WOT MkII - I agree that it would most likely be above a 3 or 4.

Cheers - boingk
Last edited by boingk; Apr 22, 2013 at 09:34 PM.