HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 2010
60 Posts
E-Flite UMX Carbon Cub SS

Can anyone take a stab at rating the Carbon Cub, even if it is not an "official" rating.
DaveWhitt is offline Find More Posts by DaveWhitt
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:27 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWhitt View Post
Can anyone take a stab at rating the Carbon Cub, even if it is not an "official" rating.
I would rate it 3.5 or 4. Flew it as my first aileron plane. Before that I flew the pkz um J3 cub most of the time. Compared to that the umx CC is a little bit faster but has plenty of power which help to get out of trouble. I also found that itís almost impossible to stall the umx CC. Don't know why. Could be the asx.
Anyway, the CC is a blast to fly. Just check it thoroughly before flying it. Mine is one from the first batch. It suffered from a stiff aileron (not proparly cut out) and the aileron servos needed some oil. Fixed al that before my first flight and it's still in mint condition after around 30 flights.

Best regards,

Tom
RC-Tom is offline Find More Posts by RC-Tom
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:42 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Updated ratings, may also include a few myself shortly. They include the:

VQ Models Stick 1500
Modified LA Stick
HK 35mm MiG 15
HK E-Fair Balsa Glider

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:04 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,145 Posts
Just wondering why the PA ultimate AMR is rated 10. ok it's no trainer but it's got to be one of the easiest flying 3D aerobatic models there is, it will flt at a walking pace and has no bad habits at all.

I just got a 620mm Hobbyking Rare Bare Funfighter and on 4s power that's way more of a challenge than the AMR.. If the AMR is 10 then the rare bear is about 50. There is nothing wrong with the bear, it flies very well but it's small and very fast and gets away from you quickly if you aren't on your toes.

But seriously, I'd have the AMR about 7 and the Rare Bear 9 or 10
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:23 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
My older entries

6 Nextar EP Mini without the speed brakes and airfoils.
6 Fly Zone Cessna 182
5 Hobbico Flyzone Piper J-3 Cub
6 Flyzone Switch (low wing)
2 Flyzone piper mini cub
2 Fltyzone Playmate
2 Cox skyranger
4 Flyzone Sensei
6 Flyzone Corvalis 350
GP flylite 3
Flyzone Sensei 4
CG Falcon 5
Skyfly Max 5
Flyzone Switch (high wing) 5
Flyzone Piper Cub 4
Flyzone Albatross 3

NEW entries (by me)

5 Nexstar mini EPwith brakes and foils
5 HobbyKing J-3 cub
4 Flyzone Skyfly 2
7 GP electro-stik
7 Flyzone FW 190
6 GP Pluma
6 Hobbico 40" Super Sportster
6 Flyzone Millennium Master
6 Flyzone Acro-Wot

soon to maiden and rate

Beaver,Tower P-51,Sequence,Super Chipmunk,
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Last edited by gulio; Dec 01, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:05 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Just wondering why the PA ultimate AMR is rated 10. ok it's no trainer but it's got to be one of the easiest flying 3D aerobatic models there is, it will flt at a walking pace and has no bad habits at all.

I just got a 620mm Hobbyking Rare Bare Funfighter and on 4s power that's way more of a challenge than the AMR.. If the AMR is 10 then the rare bear is about 50. There is nothing wrong with the bear, it flies very well but it's small and very fast and gets away from you quickly if you aren't on your toes.

But seriously, I'd have the AMR about 7 and the Rare Bear 9 or 10
Might be an 'easy flying 3D plane' but I'm willing to be that if you fired it up with a non-computerized radio and an intermediate pilot then you might get an interesting - and short - flight.

If an aeroplane is set up stock for large throws that generally sets it solidly in the high ratings. I've yet to see a relatively inexperienced pilot that can handle large control throws without expo. The plane itself might fly superbly, but if a new pilot overcontrols it then this won't be worth much at all. Experienced pilots fly well with minimal or no control limits. New pilots do well with tight ones.

The Rare Bear on the other hand I completely agree with. Small, fast, aerobatic - it ticks all the boxes for a challenging plane.

- boingk
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:58 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,145 Posts
With the AMR set to low rates it's a pussycat... Yeah if you set 45 deg throws all round it would be a handful for a beginner but there again so would any plane if you put that much throw on.

Comparatively there is the Extreme Flight Yak 54e at difficulty level 7.. That one is also a 'full on' 3D plane, big control throws huge control surfaces etc etc. I've owned both planes and flowwn both back to back. The Yak is without doubt a little trickier than the AMR, particularly on landing where the Yak cant be slowed up nearly as well as the AMR, but even in normal flying the Yak is a little faster and less forgiving.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:20 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,663 Posts
This discussion regarding 3D balsa comes up from time to time

The thread is in the "beginners" section and it's main focus is on the first, second, and third aircraft. Would anybody seriously suggest 3D balsa as a first, second, or third aircraft? Sure, gifted individuals may get away with flying one on low rates as a third or even second aircraft, but is that the best strategy or is it more like an attempt to prove that it can be done? Does anyone who flies 3D - and balsa at that - routinely suggest that PA or an EF or a 3DHS Whatever is the most appropriate second or third plane? How many of those would still be in one piece after the fifth or tenth flight?

Quit yer sandbaggin

3D in general is not simple and it's not something to aim for with the first few planes, unless one is a masochist who enjoys frustration and setbacks. 3D balsa is an automatic '10' - best left to expert pilots.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:27 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,145 Posts
Yeah the list in in the beginners forum but if it was meant only as a list strictly for beginners then why go to difficulty level '10'

my main point was a comparitive one. the AMR is in my opinion (and I've owned one for two years) a much easier plane to fly than many rated as being easier than it in the ranking. For sure it's easier than the EF Yak 54e (rated 7) because I've flown both extensively.

And actually I'd have no problem recommending the AMR as a third plane for anyone with average or above ability, and who was confident with ailerons. Put the throws on low and as I said before.. it's a pussycat.

In fact twice I've lost control of it and it landed itself that's how stable it is First time I had a servo short out and take down the receiver. It happened at about 25ft altitude and the plane just glided down for a not too bad landing all on it's own. Only damage was the landing gear screws pulled loose. Second time I had to take evasive action when someone almost hit me with his plane. In saving my own neck I lost sight of the AMR completely, but I just eased back on the throttle and elevator. All on it's own it did a touch and go, I caught it as it bounced up and I flew away, no damage done!... True stories both, I'd have been lucky to get away with those incidents with any basic trainer.

Anyway, no big deal.. everyone is never going to agree completely on a list like this.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Good words guys. I may revise the PA Ultimate AMR to an 8 (on par with a twitchy but stable EDF) and the EF Yak 54e to a 9.

- boingk
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:03 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,085 Posts
UMX Carbon Cub I'd rate a 4.5.

Flaps & ailerons can get a beginner in trouble in a hurry. She is fairly tame on low rates though, and is reasonably rugged. The only time I've managed to do anything requiring repair, was trying to fly in too small a gym.

She'll hand launch with no need to toss (full power & release), and can use any available picnic table as a runway.

The new Flyzone Nieuport 11, I'd rate as a 3.5. Touchier than the Albatros, and the all-moving rudder is easily damaged. That's based on the Albatros being a 3.

The E-Flite "Platinum Edition" Super Cub 25e is at least an 8... most likely a 9. It's balsa, has flaps, and has a "sale" tail wheel that works like the real thing... and takes some practice to get used to. Once in the air, it's not so hard, but turns need to be co-ordinated with rudder. Too slow and/or sloppy can lead to a stalled wing & spin.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:04 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,145 Posts
On the subject of 3D models, there are a few others that should slot in around about the same area as the EF Yak 54e (assuming Yak is moved to '9')
  • Extreme Flight 48" Edge 540T EXP - I'd put half a point easier than the Yak as it's a bit more stable around the stall.
  • Extreme Flight 48" Laser EXP - same as Yak
  • Extreme Flight 48" Extra EXP - same as Yak
  • Extreme Flight 48"" MXS EXP - half a point harder than the Yak
  • 3DHS 51" AJ Slick - same as Yak
  • Turnigy 51" Slick 360 - same as Yak
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:12 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
... I had to take evasive action when someone almost hit me with his plane. In saving my own neck I lost sight of the AMR completely, but I just eased back on the throttle and elevator. All on it's own it did a touch and go, I caught it as it bounced up and I flew away, no damage done!...
I want your AMR. Whenever I hold mine and throttle up I don't go anywhere . (it took me a second to parse that sentence)

I think the AMR is fine at an 8, but from my experience as a relative newbie building and flying it I think it would be good to include another assumption for judging planes: how easy it is to fly if you use the manufacturer recommended setup (weight, CG, throws, battery, etc.). I noticed that the ratings in this thread do not reflect this assumption. I know that had I not spent a bit of time going through the RCG AMR thread I would have maidened it more tail heavy than I would have liked.

I know this is largely a personal thing but I have lost a couple of planes where I followed what I thought were reputable manufacturer's numbers that ended up being totally wrong (I'm looking at you, FMS! )
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:02 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,145 Posts
Good point, yes, the manufacturers recommended CG would make the AMR a difficulty level 10 because it's way too far back. Although it's still flyable it's quite tricky.
Maybe the person who rated it a 10 had been flying it as per manufacturers recommendations?

Steve

PS... yep, it was the model that flew away not me
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:11 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,468 Posts
I got a Kyosho A-6 (listed as 9.5) and F-16 (10) I would swap. To get
the A-6 in the air with factory recomended setup and assembly is at best
possible ... but VERY difficult. The F-16 is not realy a problem to fly
but the CG recomendation is not optimal (too far forward).

Another plane that should be in the 10 list is E-flite 300 class P-40
and the similar Art-tech P-40
http://www.art-tech.cn/english/Artic...?ArticleID=316

The P-40 are very sensitive on it's controls, I've crashed my second
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY