HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 06, 2011, 11:33 AM
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
good list. ill have to subscribe to this...
papaduke187 is offline Find More Posts by papaduke187
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2011, 03:39 PM
United States, WI, Platteville
Joined Jul 2007
16 Posts
Dynam Hawk Sky: 4

was mentioned as a 2: "Beginner can Solo". I am a beginner who solo'd a Hawk Sky yesterday in gusty-ish winds.
The rating system is "without crashing". While the Hawk Sky can take a full-power nose dive from 100 feet and be ready for the next toss, it's not easy enough for an unsupervised beginner not to crash - the CG, throws, trim, etc. all need to be set by someone who knows what they're doing.

I'd give the Hawk Sky a 4: "Beginner can solo with flight instruction".
87knox is offline Find More Posts by 87knox
Old May 07, 2011, 04:04 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87knox View Post
Dynam Hawk Sky: 4

was mentioned as a 2: "Beginner can Solo". I am a beginner who solo'd a Hawk Sky yesterday in gusty-ish winds.
The rating system is "without crashing". While the Hawk Sky can take a full-power nose dive from 100 feet and be ready for the next toss, it's not easy enough for an unsupervised beginner not to crash - the CG, throws, trim, etc. all need to be set by someone who knows what they're doing.

I'd give the Hawk Sky a 4: "Beginner can solo with flight instruction".
I think you will find quite a number of people dissagree with you on this assessment. It is a popular beginner plane that many have solo'd and moved on to better stuff. I guess people who started on a Hobby Zone champ but made countless fumbles into the grass before making a 3 point landing should say they "crashed" and move it to a 4? I don't think so. If the plane gets you through solo with minimal fuss, it got you through solo.
But opionons are plentyfull here
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old May 07, 2011, 05:01 PM
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
Maybe I could get some clarification since I dont quite understand something on here... you have a bunch of 3dhs extra 300's listed, what makes one more difficult to fly vs another? sorry, im just not quite sure i understand
Old May 07, 2011, 07:02 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
Not all are the same. Some may have larger control surfaces, thus respond much more rapidly to any control input. This makes for a model that needs experience and finesse to fly well. Some are also not to scale, usually with larger wings to give 'floatier' flying. The more scale oriented version often do not have this feature.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old May 07, 2011, 07:16 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
I think we might need a definition of 'flight instruction'.

Is it a more experienced flyer standing by giving advice and telling them what inputs do what? Is it an experienced flyer getting it up to a safe altitude before letting the greenhorn take over? Perhaps it is a linked control system so the experienced pilot can take control seamlessly in event of disorientation or overcontrolling?

What do you guys reckon?

Personally I think the first one doesn't count, the second and third one do. I usually do the second with mates who are learning and then take back control if they mess up too badly or when its time to land. After they get the hang of that a bit I let them do a 'true' solo.

Cheers - boingk

PS: Made the Dynam Hawksky/Easyhawk a '3' seeing as we've got both a 2 and a 4 rated... unless we have a few more people vouch for other ratings.
Old May 07, 2011, 07:35 PM
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
the only reason im asking is that im looking for a second plane, while also making the switch from nitro to electric. i've been looking into the 3dhs aircraft as they seem to be the best bang for the buck when it comes to electrics. I'm pretty interested in the 42" or 51" slick. I know its probably a lot of plane for a second plane, but my plan is to set it up with good soft low rates and expo, and a "sport" prop until im ready to move her up a notch or two
Old May 07, 2011, 07:51 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
It sounds like a lot of plane as a seond plane... and you could easily destroy it before you get the feel of it. If you do buy one make sure you get it set up and trimmed properly by somone who knows what they're doing. If thats you, then all the more credit to you! Can I ask what you're currently flying?

Have you seen the Back Yard Outdoor Bipe thread? Its a build thread with plans for a 32.5" Pitts Special, I'm currently in the process of making one. Very easy and apparently flies very well, too.

Cheers - boingk
Old May 07, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
My first plane was a 40 size stick that I built from a kit about 2 years ago.
Old May 07, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
Speaking of bipes, im also looking into a PA Ultimate AMR
Old May 08, 2011, 05:36 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
If you put a gyro on the Hawk Sky ailerons and just fly it with rudder(let gyro take care of stability) then it is a 2. Stock, it is a 3. Don't take wind into account... anything is a 10 during a hurricane.
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 10, 2011, 12:54 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,453 Posts
The Stevens Aero Adrenaline Rush is rated a 5.5. That isn't even close in my opinion. It's small,very twitchy on the controls and fast. It's a solid 8 and some people would never be able to fly it because it can get away from you in a hurry if your not on the sticks all the time.
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Old May 10, 2011, 10:20 PM
To Have & To Hold
Joined May 2010
100 Posts
Just a suggestion to break them into their category types but not too many. It should be both self-explanatory and clear for the users. E.g. Trainers, Warbirds, Jets, etc. From within these categories, rate them as you would.
Percivale is offline Find More Posts by Percivale
Old May 10, 2011, 10:28 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,452 Posts
Justin Chi laughs at your rating system have you seen this kid fly?
imo any age can fly with proper supervision
you should recalibrate your scale take out the 0 and 1 and start from there
6 Year Old Justin Jee(Chi) Flying Pilot-RC Extra300 30% RC Airplane - June 28th, 2009 (9 min 50 sec)

0 -- Safe to give to a young child
1 -- Young flyer can solo (eg: ages 4-8 with adult supervision)
2 -- Beginner can solo
3 -- Beginner can solo with sim experience
4 -- Beginner can solo with flight instruction
5 -- Beginner can solo with extensive flight instruction/Easy 2nd plane
6 -- Good 2nd plane
7 -- Good 2nd plane with flight instruction/Sim
8 -- Good 3rd plane
9 -- Good 3rd plane with flight instruction/Sim
10 -- Requires expert flyer

becomes

0 -- Beginner can solo with no out side help
1 -- Beginner can solo with sim experience
2 -- Beginner with buddy box
3 -- Beginner can solo with flight instruction
4 -- Beginner can solo with extensive flight instruction/Easy 2nd plane
5 -- Good 2nd plane
6 -- Good 2nd plane with flight instruction/Sim
7 -- Good 3rd plane
8 -- Good 3rd plane with flight instruction/Sim
9 -- Requires expert flyer
10 -- Collective Pitch Helis (help or not its harder then any fixed wing) and Turbine powered models

also add E-Flite e15 Bonanza as a 7 on my scale and Seagull Edge 540 .60 as a 7 as well
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Last edited by Elios000; May 10, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:10 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
Elios000 - This is not the place for helicopter questions, those belong in the Helicopter section of these forums. This is the fixed-wing area. I acknoledge the skill needed to fly a full-house helicopter, but the list is fairly comprehensive as it is. Adding copters may simply make it confusing. Additionally, the 'safe for young child' rating is important as young children are not as well coordinated and may not learn as fast. Those aircraft will generally be very easy to fly and take damage very well, letting young kids get the hang of them without destroying them.

I do, however, agree on your inclusion of a 'buddy box' rating, perhaps replacing the 'extensive flight instruction' rating. It is not a solo flight, however, as somone else takes control periodically. This ratings guide is designed to let people know what they can reasonably expect to takeoff, fly and land by themselves.

On Justin Chi... I'm sure he's a very skilled young lad. I'm sure that he didn't start on a highly aerobatic plane, though. In fact, he most likely flew something similar to what we've got down the lower end of our scale.

Percyvale - Your suggestion of a breakdown into plane types is interesting, but I think would make the list more complicated than it needs to be. As it is, it lets people directly compare the models in it against one another with no conversion needed - regardless of the type of plane or its ultimate capabilities.

As an aside, new flyers often know a few models that they are interested in and can look for/ask about those models. More will be suggested to them - all of which can be looked for easily and directly in this list.

Hance - I've re-rated the Adrenaline Rush. I'm building one myself and theres no way I'd let one of my newbie-flyer mates solo it. Fast, small, responsive... great for experienced flyers but death for beginners.

Cheers - boingk