Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,351 Posts
UMX Mig-15 should be 4.5 to 5.0 - around the big brother T28D level. It can take the abuse (nose landings cause min damage) and handles well thanks to the gyro. Red top, white bottom helps with orientation

UMX Beast 3D (v2) should be a 6 (7+ without gyro) - it does fly slower and more stably than the Mig, but it's sensitive without major DR + expo (as are biplanes) and is rather brittle due to the complex parts. Every time I've crashed, I had to fix up something.

A definitely 10 is the UM Stryker 180. Rolls amazingly well which causes me to lose it's orientation. EDIT: An experienced pilot whizzed around with the baby Stryker but I can barely keep it in the air for more than a minute (while I crash only 1 out of 4 times with the UMXes). I'm still a newbie, but learning lots by flying and crashing.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Last edited by voxel; Aug 10, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
I think "0" should be gliders of the cheap sort, and perhaps small rubber band powered planes. These are for kids right?
Careful, Pilgrim, there're circles where them's fightin' words. The Nats that just ended - there're indoor and outdoor rubber powered classes. The winners -earn- the right and privilege to represent the US in international competitions.

At the low end, check youtube for penny plane. The weight limit is 2.8g, one US penny. At the higher end there are also RC versions:
RC Rubber Power Model (3 min 22 sec)

To each their own.

Airhogs are toys because any 8 yr old can wobble around in the air and make it do something, *and* crash it 50 times without breaking anything. Champ is only slightly larger but can cruise with absolute precision. They're both for beginners but Champ takes more skill and practice to -fly- it and not just wobble around.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:27 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,861 Posts
Pretty cool, but I did notice it was not small.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:20 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Pretty cool, but I did notice it was not small.
Sorry, I didn't write that reply properly. That second example the outdoor rubber power was meant to be in response to boingk's 'not RC' comment.

There a re many possible variations. The manufacturers produce what the consumers want. The AMA creates classes for what people are doing. The scratchbuilders do anything that interests them.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:37 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,198 Posts
nice to know my first ever plane was rated a 6 and my second i want to get is a 4.5! funny. i guess i shouldnt be nervous then... micro to the big boy t28. interesting. i love my micro!
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:26 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I did that myself, Walter, going from a UM P-51 Mustang to a 3ch HobbyKing J3. I enjoyed both but learned a lot more about basic flight with the J3.

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:52 PM
Royal Guard
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
Are there any beginner planes(level 2-3) that look more militaristic? I know it sounds kind of weird, to be focused on the look and not the flying, but I would love my beginner plane to be of military design. I appreciate the info!
vader5fist is offline Find More Posts by vader5fist
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:57 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader5fist View Post
Are there any beginner planes(level 2-3) that look more militaristic? I know it sounds kind of weird, to be focused on the look and not the flying, but I would love my beginner plane to be of military design. I appreciate the info!
Not weird at all if that's what you like. The first problem is that most military planes are hot and fast, and not trainers. About the best you do is a cubby style slow flying high wing spotter type plane. The second problem is that you're probably not going to find anything like that in ARF or RTF form.

What you could do is build a kit, and cover and decorate it in the style you like.

The problem with -that- is that I -wouldn't- recommend that mainly for the -colors- involved. As a newbie you need all the help you can get and -color- makes a big difference in how you -see- a model plane flying.

One option here though is to get a cubby style trainer in the typical bright yellow, and later when you're comfortable flying it you can repaint and properly decorate it.

But that would leave you with nothing to fly while you're rebuilding it.

However, *NO* model RC pilot has just 'one' plane. What you could do is get started with the yellow trainer. When you've learned enough to move up to the T-28 or something similar, then you can temporarily retire the trainer for rebuild while you're learning the new one. Then you'll have two nice models of the style you like, with very different flying styles depending on what you feel like doing at the time.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:35 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
vader5fist - I think you migh like this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14792

Its a J3 in all regards, but in the military's L-4 colour scheme. They were used extensively as trainers and for spotter aircraft. I had one and would highly recommend it.

A good setup if you're not going PNP is to get the Hextronik 24g 1700kv motor and an 18A ESC, as well as some 8x4 and 7x5 props. Start on the 8x4 (more thrust) and then go to the 7x5 when you feel comfortable (more speed).

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,465 Posts
YES, YES, YES, the blue version of that plane was my first plane and it flies very easily (I had simulator and heli experience). I do beleive they actually used cubs in the military, am I wrong? That is the best recommendation for you and it's cheap as heck. You will need a 1200mah 3s battery(cheap on ebay) and need to cut the foam to push it quite far forward. This plane is tail heavy stock.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:11 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I used self-adhesive velcro to put a 1000mAh 3s pack under the nose/landing gear area but reckon a 1200mAh would be better as I still needed 30g of noseweight. They were designed for NiCd packs so the lipos are a shock to the system. Loved mine thoroughly; I still have the tail as a reminder haha.

As far as cubs go... I beleive they did use them. I think it was conservatively estimated that something like 40% of airmen in WWII learnt to fly in a Cub?

As far as the L4 goes... the factory was quoted as saying something like 'We got an order for a military version, so we pulled a few Cubs off the line and painted them green' ...which wasn't far from the truth! I believe they also had a rear window, larger fuel tanks and often a rearward facing passenger seat for a spotter or radio operator.

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Power View Post
What about the Fms/airfield Cessna 182 1400mm? Anyone got a rating for it?
I think I had one of these, I don't remember. I really had no formal RC training when I purchased it (just numberous crashes) and moved up to it from the GWS slo stick. I would rate the airframe as a good aileron trainer. It was able to do some pretty cool aerobatics and could put it into a gyroscopic spin just for fun but recovery was easy. No dihedral in the wings which makes it a bit more challenging for noobs.

I currently have a Multiplex FunCub and I would rate it easier than the Airfield 182 and also much more crash survivable. Big wheels are cool.
flyingmonkey87 is offline Find More Posts by flyingmonkey87
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Binding?

Wrong forum.
Redmerlot is offline Find More Posts by Redmerlot
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:50 PM
United States, VT, Burlington
Joined Mar 2012
76 Posts
I have a Flyzone Calypso. It was my first plane, and after having someone fly it for me the first time, I was able to launch it and land it on my own, as well as fly it several hundred feet away. It is very easy to see in the sky, and although it has ailerons, it is very, very easy to fly. All of that said, I flew helicopters for eight months before I bought it, and am able to hover a cp heli, and fly the snot out of quads. I think the Calypso is a good first plane for someone with sim time.
IamNabil is offline Find More Posts by IamNabil
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:09 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,861 Posts
Nice post, right to the point. That plane looks like a good starter for those that can haul it to a field, but too large for the average backyard flier. http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplan...000/index.html
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H