HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:42 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Anyone second the Long EZ being a 4 or 5 instead of a 10?

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:19 AM
United States, WA, Covington
Joined Dec 2011
50 Posts
E-Flite Apprentice 15e = 4.5?

I just got an E-Flite Apprentice 15e and think the 4.5 rating is a little high. I am a new flyer, this is my first plane, and have about an hour and a half at the controls with an instructor on a buddy box. Also I'm not a spring chicken.

But I find the Apprentice to be relatively easy to fly, it's size make it easily visible, and very stable. Next flight will be landing and with the instructors blessing. Yes, it is agile and can do inside and outside loops, aileron rolls and other simple aerobatics. Plenty of power and speed, but a wingloading that lets it creep along at a very docile pace for new newby.

So, sorry, but I would rate the Apprentice maybe a 3.8.
holensum is offline Find More Posts by holensum
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:07 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Sounds like I might make it a four, then. No weird inbetween systems here, just ratings to the nearest half if we really do have a split of opinion.

Thankyou for the review, holensum, and hope your first solo goes well!

Cheers - boingk
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Finally it's stickied.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:15 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
All praise to HANCE! *Crowd goes wild* Thanks again mate, brilliant work.

Also for those reading this thread for the first time, this is the place to see if you're ready for that new model.. or want to submit a rating of one you've flown. All ratings are welcome, from every point of view be it seasoned veteran or rank newbie.

Cheers - boingk
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:39 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
Easy Glider Elektro. With geared inrunner, and large propeller. 4 I think. It's steady and forgiven, but fast. And need a little more flying than the Radian.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:32 AM
Gorilla...Hired Gorilla
Surrey, British Columbia
Joined Jun 2009
50 Posts
Where would the FMS Cessna 182 fit in here?? 55.5 in WS, 5 ch.....
iamthebronze is offline Find More Posts by iamthebronze
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:47 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
I'd like to pop in and say that a year later, I've still yet to fly anything as difficult to fly as an Ultra Micro (excluding the Champ). I do 3D and have flown over 100mph now and I still feel this way.

I think you've got a real good list there.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:08 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
ArneHu - Thanks mate, added.

iamthebronze - Sounds like a 6, 7 or 8 to me. Numerous channels alone sets it as a more advanced model. It might be good for somone with a lot of 3ch stick time to learn 4ch on, but I would rather see it as a 3rd or later plane. This is all pure suggestion as I have not flown that model myself

Afraidtoregister - Totally agree mate, I had a PZ UM Mustang as my first plane and even with lots of first person and RC simulator time (going through pilot training) I had problems. Very steep learning curve and a very twitchy (but fun!) little plane to fly. The Cub, on the other hand, is just a complete sweetheart - stall are predictable, control is good without being excessive and the 3ch RET operation is great for beginners.

CHeers - boingk
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:43 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
I'd give the Tower Hobbies P51 Mustang a 7.5. It's a great flying plane with no bad habits. If you stall it the nose drops and it starts flying again.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old May 07, 2012, 12:54 AM
Lover of fine cheeses
United States, IN, Mauckport
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
HZ Champ 2.0
HZ Super Cub 2.5
E-Flite UMX Extra 300 7.0
Blade MQX 5

So, I'm sitting here looking at this list, and I'm confused. I started on a HZ Champ and then went to a HZ Super Cub. I don't see how anyone can objectively say that the Super Cub is easier to fly than the Champ. While the Champ can be a handful in wind, it can creep along at an unbelievably slow pace (think: walking speed). The Super Cub, on the other hand, can get up to 40mph. Next, the sheer size of the Super Cub can be intimidating to the novice pilot. All things considered, I would give the Champ a 2.0 and the Super Cub a 2.5. I know that I am just splitting hairs, but this list can be the key deciding factor to the novice. Just my 2 cents.
Peace...
Lobe_DethFaurt is offline Find More Posts by Lobe_DethFaurt
Old May 07, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Apr 2012
100 Posts
Foam Gliders vs. Nextar w/AFS

Hello-

First off, I appreciate the members on this site for contributing their knowledge and time. This is my first post (which WILL become very apparent, very quickly.) Another novice!

The difficulty list is great, and I followed the suggestions, just didn't work for me. Namely, I have brought and built, and crashed two "gliders" ( Firebird Stratos and a Hawksky.)

These types of planes may be easy for some, but I'm not one of them. In real world situations (wind and turbulence) I think they fly like kites, (I get it, it's a glider) catching ANY wind and causing EXTREME control issues. I've seen an experienced 9 year old fly one in a 15-20mph wind, but I cannot even get control in a 10mph wind.

In real life as on RealFlight 6, I can't control them (gliders) in the sim or for real. Proven by my crashes. I realize that the things may be easy to fly WITH ZERO wind, but that's not happening here (Madison, WI.)

But, I CAN fly the heavier gas powered planes (Nextar,PT-40, etc... in the sim) MUCH easier than the glider types with no ailerons.

So, I'm buying a heavier, more powerful aircraft. I'll lyk how that goes....

Thanks!

Mark
Event_Horizon is offline Find More Posts by Event_Horizon
Old May 10, 2012, 06:47 PM
No plane is safe around ME!
United States, WA, Fairchild AFB
Joined Apr 2012
124 Posts
Anyone have a rating on the PZ T-28? I'd like to know.
sirocelot is offline Find More Posts by sirocelot
Old May 10, 2012, 07:31 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirocelot View Post
Anyone have a rating on the PZ T-28? I'd like to know.
I'd rate it a 6. It's a great plane, and an excellent intro to ailerons, but most would do well to start off with a high wing 3ch and/or a pusher first.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 10, 2012, 07:40 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,706 Posts
@BoingK: I noticed that the list contains a bunch of balsa 3D planes, like a PA Extra 260 rated 5, and a few 3DHS and Extreme Flight models. IMHO, that is absolute sandbagging, and every single one of those planes should be a 10 - "requires expert pilot". They are far, far too maneuverable to be used as trainers, and far too fragile to survive more than a lucky flight or two in the hands of somebody to whom it might be a second or third plane.

Whoever added those ratings to the old list had a sense of humor
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4