SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:25 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Looked on HobbyKing? I get my little 20c 2s 180mAh Flightmax packs from them for about $2 each and they are brilliant in my little 18"/2.4oz flying wing.
Ahem, could you tell us some more about this little critter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock
If companies would stop gouging us and get their prices in a normal range, I think they'd make a ton more. Case in point, the Beast for $99. If they made all their UMXs $99, they'd be selling 2 or 3 to each person instead of 1 to someone once in a while.
Heh.

They brought it down to $99 and I was like, "Right after the PZUM T-28, I'll get a Beast, 'cause I'll be ready for it." Then, I read they are discontinuing it and expect to have parts for it for 1 year, max. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot?

As one of those guys with a mort, wife, two kids, and two dogs, I gotta watch the pennies. $150+ ultra-micros are not going to fly on my wallet. At that price point, I buy serious hardware & electronics and start building my own foamies from plans or building kits for my own UMs & parkflyers. Instead eflite getting X% of $99, they get 0% of $150.

No bull, after I read the UM Beast is going buh-bye, maybe I ought to got for a pusher jet like the HK ParkjetII or http://www.superflyrc.com/. Yeah, not as aerobatic, but different & challenging in a way the T-28, Champ, and N Vapor are not.

[jayne_cobb]...Ten percent of nothin' is, let me do the math here... nothin' and a nothin', carry the nothin'... [/jayne_cobb]
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:19 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
rooster, she is a little thing I made myself after making a wing for a 'Little Stick' type build and then thinking 'Hold on.. why do I need a fuselage?' Power comes from a 10g Hextronik 2000kv outrunner turning a GWS 4040 prop, with control via a HK 8A ESC, 2.4ghz chip and 4.3g servos. Here she is:

The frame is very basic and made up of only 8 formers, with another 6 leading edge shapers to seal the deal. I used 1.5mm balsa and very small square section (2mm?), covered with HobbyKing's iron-on film. It might only weight in at 55g ready to roll, but it'll carry a keychain camera weighing around 20g without a problem - makes for some fun footage!

Any more questions just ask.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:30 PM
Luke A.F.B., AZ
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined Aug 2009
63 Posts
I don't see the Parkzone P-47 on the list, so I thought I'd give my opinion.

Parkzone P-47 = 5.25

Extremely well mannered, easy to fly, but landings are more involved, it requires throttle during landings, especially when the Jug has retracts and flaps.
SubyDude is offline Find More Posts by SubyDude
Last edited by SubyDude; Nov 05, 2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:41 PM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
640 Posts
Looking at the list, I see that my current plan for progression/skill may have to be revised:
PZUM T-28
Wing or "wing-y" pusher jet (HK Parkjet, PZ Stryker, a Superfly, Zagi wing, Tuffwing, Ritewing, etc.)

I am fine with HZUM Champ, PZUM NVapor, and Blade MCX2 and plan on going to a PZUM T-28. I had thought that a wing/pusher jet woul dbe the next step up in difficulty, but it seems I may be wrong.
5 Great Planes Slinger [wing/elevons]

5.5 Superfly RC HyperFlea [wing/elevons]
5.5 Superfly RC Superfly [wing/elevons]

6 Parkzone Ultra Micro T-28

6.5 Multiplex FunJet [wing/elevons]
6.5 Superfly Hyperflea [wing/elevons]

8 Parkzone Ultra Micro P-51
I own RealFlight5.5 set to max difficulty (and then I toggle the wind speed). I fly the HZUM Champ, PZUM NVapor, and Blade MCX2 in the sim great, along with the GP Slinger and Zagi wing. The PZUM P-51 sometimes gives me a hard time, usually at lower speeds near the ground. The Multiplex FunJet can get away from me and controls get mushy (or I get stupid) at low speeds. IOW, I find the PZUM P-51 easier than the Multiplex Funjet in the sim. Artifact of the sim, maybe?

Maybe I ought to think of the step beyond the PZUM T-28 as less a progression in difficulty than a widening of the flying envelope, allowing me to fly in windy conditions that currently ground me.

Also:
5.5 Superfly RC HyperFlea
6.5 Superfly Hyperflea
To those who fly them, which is it?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:48 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
rooster, she is a little thing I made myself after making a wing for a 'Little Stick' type build and then thinking 'Hold on.. why do I need a fuselage?' Power comes from a 10g Hextronik 2000kv outrunner turning a GWS 4040 prop, with control via a HK 8A ESC, 2.4ghz chip and 4.3g servos. Here she is:

The frame is very basic and made up of only 8 formers, with another 6 leading edge shapers to seal the deal. I used 1.5mm balsa and very small square section (2mm?), covered with HobbyKing's iron-on film. It might only weight in at 55g ready to roll, but it'll carry a keychain camera weighing around 20g without a problem - makes for some fun footage!

Any more questions just ask.

Cheers - boingk

That is really cool! I'm digging it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post
Looking at the list, I see that my current plan for progression/skill may have to be revised:
PZUM T-28
Wing or "wing-y" pusher jet (HK Parkjet, PZ Stryker, a Superfly, Zagi wing, Tuffwing, Ritewing, etc.)

I am fine with HZUM Champ, PZUM NVapor, and Blade MCX2 and plan on going to a PZUM T-28. I had thought that a wing/pusher jet woul dbe the next step up in difficulty, but it seems I may be wrong.
5 Great Planes Slinger [wing/elevons]

5.5 Superfly RC HyperFlea [wing/elevons]
5.5 Superfly RC Superfly [wing/elevons]

6 Parkzone Ultra Micro T-28

6.5 Multiplex FunJet [wing/elevons]
6.5 Superfly Hyperflea [wing/elevons]

8 Parkzone Ultra Micro P-51
I own RealFlight5.5 set to max difficulty (and then I toggle the wind speed). I fly the HZUM Champ, PZUM NVapor, and Blade MCX2 in the sim great, along with the GP Slinger and Zagi wing. The PZUM P-51 sometimes gives me a hard time, usually at lower speeds near the ground. The Multiplex FunJet can get away from me and controls get mushy (or I get stupid) at low speeds. IOW, I find the PZUM P-51 easier than the Multiplex Funjet in the sim. Artifact of the sim, maybe?

Maybe I ought to think of the step beyond the PZUM T-28 as less a progression in difficulty than a widening of the flying envelope, allowing me to fly in windy conditions that currently ground me.

Also:
5.5 Superfly RC HyperFlea
6.5 Superfly Hyperflea
To those who fly them, which is it?

I've always thought the ratings of the SuperFly/HyperFlea in this thread were a bit high. I'd put the SuperFly at a solid 3, maybe a 3.5 and the HyperFlea at around a 4, maybe, but "difficulty" tends to be in the eye of the flyer. I'd never rate the PZ Mustang an 8, but that's just me.

I also find sims to be great tools for orientation, etc, but I can fly a lot better in the sim than I can in real life.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:01 AM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
I also find sims to be great tools for orientation, etc, but I can fly a lot better in the sim than I can in real life.
I'm the opposite, for FW. Unless the wind is going nuts, I can fly IRL better. For instance, I have a Devil of a time getting a plane to land where I want to in teh sim. I can't glance down quick to check my prospective landing area relative to the plane.

Heck, even in most winds I fly IRL better. I can essentially land in the length of the HZUM Champ when it is windy. bring it into the wind, get it low, and then reduce power until I'm making no headway and flare. Easy Peasy...until the wind picks up the Chmap off the ground...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:24 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Tram - cheers mate! If you want the plans for the wing then I can post them... but its basically a set of plans for another plane that I was too lazy to build a fuselage for haha. Detailed instructions accompany them naturally. Its a brilliant flyer once trimmed properly.

rooster - Was able to have zero or even negative airspeed with my SA Quickoats 100... loved it. Currently undergoing a brushless rebuild so we'll see how it goes.

On the Hyperflea, I'm getting the double listing and making it a solid six. That seems about right for what most people call a well behaved flying wing - I definitely wouldn't give something like that to a beginner though, orientation alone would prove a challenge.

Cheers - boingk
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:17 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
Tram - cheers mate! If you want the plans for the wing then I can post them... but its basically a set of plans for another plane that I was too lazy to build a fuselage for haha. Detailed instructions accompany them naturally. Its a brilliant flyer once trimmed properly.
I may have a wing or two from dead birds that I could try it with.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:12 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Bumping for reference. Mods please delete v1.0 thread? Pretty f***ing please?

- boingk
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
I looked over this Scale, and was wondering where the hobbyking bixler was.

Did I miss it?
hosj is offline Find More Posts by hosj
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Hi mate, no idea on the Bixler personally but seeing as its a largish 4ch bird I'd say it'd be a good second plane or perhaps a first with system-link flight training from an experienced RC pilot. So, 5 or a 6 at a guess.

Cheers - boingk
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:08 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,706 Posts
A "Bixler" is HK's name for what is otherwise called a SkySurfer - an EasyStar copy with ailerons.

The higher roll rate would make it slightly less forgiving than an EasyStar, but there wouldn't be much between them, especially if you add some rates+expo on the ailerons, at least at first.

3-ish, IMHO.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
412 Posts
As an old dog starting over I've got a few thoughts on the parkzone micro's. I fully recognize that they may not match up with the mainstream views. I learned on a .40 nitro high wing trainer (great planes) back in 1989. As a weekend warrior I flew till it broke and then scrambled to fix it in time to bust it again the next weekend. The reality is that unless you always stay in your safety zone or are on a buddy box you will pummel your 1st plane pretty well.

By 1991 my wife and I moved to AZ bought a house, then kids then horses so both RC and RL flying went on hold. When my son showed some interest I picked up an Apprentice and a T28 figuring I'd be cabable of flying the T28 with a little buddybox time.

We live 25-30 minutes away from the local club and have no really suitable area's for the larger planes....so I bought a J3 micro....in a word JUNK. Horrible center of gravity, no power and as far as I'm concerned it's a horrible idea to learn on a E & R setup. So I bought a polecat....

Now I have pounded that poor little puppy into dog chow but its still going strong. I fly in central TX just about every day (unless winds are over 20 MPH or so) outside at the local "park" (really a retention basin). Now I do fly it aggressively (loops, rolls, inverted, cubans, etc) in winds of 8-15 mph on average and occasionally the bottom drops out or I get the windward wing up at a bad moment. I

I normally run 3 batteries (stock and 2 hyperien) and average 3-5 spills a session. I'd say 10% require surgical intervention. I've busted everything from the wings back (fus and Tail) but so far the wings forward are fine other then popping the brick and/or engine lose a time or two.

I also own the T28 micro and the Pony. The T28 is another good option, its very strong in the tail but weaker up front and less powerful. I have some CA/masking tape wrap around the nose....it moves the CG forward a bit which is actually good in the wind and protects the nose. I've cracked one wing and one flap. Both easily repaired with CA.

I fly a DX6i and fly the polecat at 60/30, its remarkably docile at those settings and has a much better powerband into the wind. The only possible concern for a new flyer is how fast it gets going down wind...or worse full throttle down wind. I was boring upwind at about 75 feet slightly nose down and the wind shifted 180 picked up speed and nosed down...so I pulled up hoping to come over the top but it rode the wind out about 200 yds or more....so the thing is hanging 300 yds down range down wind...probably about a block beyond the end of the park (Elvis has left the building)....got it back but ended up burying the nose (broke fus right at the star decal {easy fix}).

I'm amazed at how durable the polecat is, much more so then the T28....

I'd put the T28 micro at a 3.5-4. Anyone who can fly it on a sim like FMS can fly it in my opinion. HOWEVER, the real issue are wind, trim and center of gravity. The T28 is much less capable in the wind then the polecat is. While the polecat is much more "twitchy" with the right setup its remarkably easy to fly.

I'd approach it from this perspective. Your going to crash learning to fly RC. A micro is much more survivable then a larger plane and you can reasonably expect to survive almost all repairs with CA and tape. I actually melted part of my polecat tail with a bad choice for a CA accelerator....NP a bit of masking tape covered in CA and off we go....

I fly the polecat a lot more then the T28. I've got mustang parts on order for the J3...

Buy it, fly it, fix it and repeat till your fly, fly, fix...then fly, fly, fly fix etc. Roughly 5-6 hours (15 crashes or so) and you'll be well on your way. The micro lets you compress 3 months of flying into a few weeks when you factor in travel and repair time....best $100 you'll ever spend on RC IMO....
TxToast is offline Find More Posts by TxToast
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:39 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Righto, just moved the UM P-51 and from a 5 to an 8, and the UM T-28 from a 3.5 to a 6... that seems a lot more appropriate. I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't hand over a micro of any sort to anyone without at least a 4ch parkflyer under their belt!

What do you guys reckon on those ratings?

Cheers - boingk
Exactly my point. They are twitchy as heck and give you almost no time to react. Even now that I have 12 or 13 planes, I don't fly my UM Corsair because it's too hard.

When I tried to fly the UM Corsair it was way beyond me. I could do basic 3D, I could do CP helicopters, I could do pushers, and I could do park fliers. But that UM, holy crud was that hard to fly!

Their UM Vapor is a good first plane for somebody with zero experience but would require flying inside. Their UM Champ would be a good start if you were flying outside. I think the 40ish inch Super Cub they make is the best starter plane there is. A big wind will push my Champ backwards, whereas the Cub can fight through it. HOWEVER!!!!!!!! I flew a Super Cub on low rates and even in the slightest wind it was completely unable to fight the wind. Same story with my Champ, though. I see no reason to use low rates on the Super Cub though. It will fly like a baby on Tx high rates with the mechanics set to low throws. Low rates is a bad idea. I never tried the Champ on low rates, I can only imagine how horrible and useless that would be. You slam the sticks to the corners and NOTHING HAPPENS. I think a good thing to do would be to mechanically set these two to highest rates possible, then set the Tx to low rates. That way you can fight a wind in an emergency. Or, fly it yourself on high rates and use the low rate for a beginner.

My easiest to fly plane is a pusher. The performance allows a person to get themselves out of the dumbest of mistakes. Also, it's bright green on bottom and dark purple on top. Impossible to lose orientation on that monster, even at dusk. If I had a Super Cub, I'd claim it is far easier than that pusher. The pusher is neutral, meaning it cannot ever be as easy to fly as a high wing plane. No matter how easy I swear that plane is to fly, high wing is guaranteed easier.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:53 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Welcome TxToast! Good to hear you get out almost every day... I do as well, work permitting. Our club flies Sundays as a rule and if you're a full member you get a key enabling you to fly anytime. And yes, mistakes on micros are much better tolerated than on the larger models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraidtoregister
My easiest to fly plane is a pusher. <snip> No matter how easy I swear that plane is to fly, high wing is guaranteed easier.
Definitely agree on that one - pushers generally have poorer stall characteristics than tractor-type models and as you mentioned are often almost completely neutral. I do have a large 50" YF-22 thats a pusher though, and that thing is a pussycat. I've handed it over to a beginner in flight and he said it was easily controllable but needed constant attention. Good call!

The high-wingers are where its at for learners as they come in both 3 and 4ch guise, as well as being inherently stable and, for the 3ch RET's, self-righting.

Dual rates? Stuff them off, I don't use them for all but the most extreme planes in my hangar and teaching beginners to fly. As another on the forums has put it, reduce your control inputs to the simplest methods with fewest points of failure. Gotta make a quick maneuvre... are the DR's on? Wheres the switch? Why have that complexity if you don't need it; the same goes for expo. I haven't ever used it and probably won't use it unless I get something very large, expensive and 3D oriented (not my style). Even then I'd most likely fly without to start with.

Cheers - boingk