SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:34 PM
United States, MO, Byrnes Mill
Joined Aug 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Just updating what I think these planes should be:

Champ: 2.5
Super Cub LP: 3.5
UM T-28: 5
UMX Beast: 9

I think the Super Cub is rated too low on the current listing. The Super Cub is harder to fly than the champ because of the speed of it and the way that the wind can really toss it around if you aren't experienced enough to correct the cub in the winds. The UM T-28 is rated too high. It should only be 5, and the beast should be a 9 at least because it's not really a "good 3rd" plane.

Consider this:

1. Champ
2. UM T-28
3. Beast

That's what I did, but it wasn't optimal. There is a P-51/Corsair or something missing in between the UM T-28 and Beast. I was able to do it, but I have immersed myself in this hobby more than most people would or have time for. I really wasn't ready for the beast and should of had something between #2 and #3. The UM T-28 can't prepare you for the speed and aerobatics of the beast.

i have to disagree on the champ.. i havent flown in 20 years even then i never got past a PT 40 but i bought a champ and was doing figure 8s easy on maiden. the only time that plane is hard to fly is wind. so while in wind it might be a 2.5 i think if flown in conditions it calls for its an easy 2 or less
grrmisfit is offline Find More Posts by grrmisfit
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:38 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrmisfit View Post
i have to disagree on the champ.. i havent flown in 20 years even then i never got past a PT 40 but i bought a champ and was doing figure 8s easy on maiden. the only time that plane is hard to fly is wind. so while in wind it might be a 2.5 i think if flown in conditions it calls for its an easy 2 or less
Okay, it can be a 2.0. anywhere from 2.0 to 2.5 is perfect for the champ. I was thinking the air hogs should be around 0.0 to 2.0 because I wouldn't mind giving "a small child" the plane to solo.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:29 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
scale needs to be expanded at the top to differentiate the pro planes
No, it doesn't. The reason the scale is so graduated is because at the beginner level you do not have the skills to get yourself out of trouble, or even recognise you're getting into it. Thus, the planes need to be well matched to the flyers skill level.

At the other end of the scale, more experienced flyers will know how to properly maiden and fly a new model. They have the requisite skills to recognise what action is required for a given situation. Thus, more graduated ratings would be of little use.

As for the ratings of the beast etc, keep in mind that the ratings only cover basic flight and aerobatics and so on aren't covered. A beast with the recommended low rates would be appropriate for a third plane after say the micro t-28.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:57 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,361 Posts
Dunno... I'm self-taught on the Super Cub, it's super-easy to fly (10 years ago I tried with a Firebird XL, and THAT was not pretty... and I heard good things about that plane). I will agree it doesn't "do" wind well. The only real prang I've had with mine was due to flying in too much wind.

I should clarify - I'm still very much a newbie... I've recently started doing circuits with a T-28D, but that's still a bit nerve-wracking.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:59 AM
Old Fart
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined May 2011
170 Posts
Unless my old eyes are deceiving me I can't seem to see the Hangar 9 40 Pawnee in the list anywhere?

Could somebody who has flown one please post and say whereabouts in the scale this plane would fit?

I am still learning on my Apprentice but was looking at this for my next plane maybe depending on the skill level required.

Many thanks in advance.

Bob
Bob1959 is offline Find More Posts by Bob1959
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:05 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1959 View Post
Unless my old eyes are deceiving me I can't seem to see the Hangar 9 40 Pawnee in the list anywhere?

Could somebody who has flown one please post and say whereabouts in the scale this plane would fit?

I am still learning on my Apprentice but was looking at this for my next plane maybe depending on the skill level required.

Many thanks in advance.

Bob
I haven't flown one but the pawnee is usually considered to be a very gentle flyer. Just something about the pawnee I have always really liked it
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:51 PM
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined May 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1959 View Post

Many thanks in advance.

Bob
They did put the e-flight Pawnee as a 10 and although I haven't flown that one I do have the 40 sized and in fact we now have three of them. I have to say that from personal experience I have not flown a nicer handling plane in many years. I have tought several people to fly with my original 40 sized Pawnee and now use it as a club trainer. It can be a little bit of a handfull compared to a tricycle geared plane but as soon as someone learns to control the rudder that goes away.

Personally I would put the 40 sized Pawnee at a 4. The H9 40 Sized Pawnee is basically a low wing cub which is all the original Pawnee 235 was. The wings and tail were identical to a super-cub, the only difference, the wing was on the bottom and the engine had an additional 85 horsepower.
catalinaflyer is offline Find More Posts by catalinaflyer
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:49 PM
Old Fart
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined May 2011
170 Posts
Many thanks for the very helpful replies Hance and Catalinafllyer. Much appreciated.

I will have a go at flying the Pawnee next with the assistance of an experienced flyer the first few flights. The 'bit of a handful' you refer to Catalina flyer is on take off I am guessing?

Thanks again.

Bob
Bob1959 is offline Find More Posts by Bob1959
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:44 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,361 Posts
Anyone care to take a shot at the new PZ Spitfire?

Kevin
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Ember - 2
UM T-28 - 6.5
UMX Extra 300 3d - 9
Twisted Hobbys Extra Slick - 8.5

My progression was:

Radian - Ember II
UM T-28
UMX Extra 300 3d
Twisted Hobbys Extra Slick

I have handed the controls of the Ember to complete beginners and they did have success flying it.

I think some sim experience is helpful before flying the UM T-28 but I'm not sure you must have it.

The Extra Slick is about as easy to fly as the UMX Extra 300 3d but is more durable in a crash (EPP) and therefore I gave it a slightly easier rating. It does require a computer radio. I do use a SIM. I had no flight instruction (unless you count what I got around 30 years ago or some time on full scale).
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Last edited by Madratter; Sep 12, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:50 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Thinking of buy a UM Sukhoi 26XT. I have a UM T28 which is listed at 6.5. Seems like a reasonable number.

Anybody want to suggest what the rating should be for a PKZ UM Sukhoi 26XT?
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Last edited by msdumo; Sep 13, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:44 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Madratter - Good stuff mate, and thanks for the flight reviews. As for flying 30 years ago and on full size aircraft, you'd be way ahead in terms of just basic flight knowledge then most. Example; plane starts listing one way you gently compensate using the sticks... as opposed to panicking and jamming the sticks to the edge, possibly stalling or getting yourself disoriented. Some guys I've seen take over 12 months just to get the hang of basic flight.

msdumo - I believe the rating for it is somewhere around 8. Essentially, you'll want it no sooner than a 3rd plane, and only using recommended low rates with high expo for the control surfaces until you get used to its flying characteristics.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:56 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
I had the first UM Sukoi SU26 and it was a fairly poor excuse of a plane. Way way under powered. Hopefully the new version is much improved.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:39 AM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
I had the first UM Sukoi SU26 and it was a fairly poor excuse of a plane. Way way under powered. Hopefully the new version is much improved.
Other flyers have reported that Parkzone did make improvements including a new more powerful motor.

It's still going to move me up the food chain and open the door for some 3D flight exposure.
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:29 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdumo View Post
Other flyers have reported that Parkzone did make improvements including a new more powerful motor.

It's still going to move me up the food chain and open the door for some 3D flight exposure.
msdumo, you'd be better off getting a UMX Beast for $99 and setting the rates to low. A lot of guys have gone this route with minimal issues:

Champ -> T-28 -> Beast

As long as you have a DX6i or better and set the DR/expo to low rates in the manual, you should be golden.

The Beast is an awesome deal and awesome plane if you have the space to fly it.

The only con is that it is super fragile. One crash you rip the wings. Glue em back up and you're back up in the sky though. Order a replacement wing set
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock