HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,075 Posts
Andy Kunz, My Hitec Eclipse 7 cannot do 3 position flaps with offsets and differential ailerons at the same time. The new Eclipse 7S uses same programming as Eclipse 7 and can't do them simultaneously either.
Is the DX-7S able to do full 3-position flaps with offsets and differential ailerons without conflicts?
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:07 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,072 Posts
I don't have a DX7s at home to answer that by actually doing it. Perhaps somebody here can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

The Flap System provides a flap and an elevator position for each of the positions of the switch controlling it.

The DX7s has a single 3-position switch (labeled "Flaps") so I guess there's a good hint to me.

I wish I could answer you better, but I don't have one here to play with.

I know the DX8 can, but that's $50 more or so.

Are you asking for different aileron differential settings for each position of the flaps? The DX7s has aileron differential.

Have you downloaded the DX7s manual?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
The new rubber version also makes it much easy to roll, sort of needs less pressure to prevent slipping.

Be cool if it became an optional part for the other DX8 radios, my DX8 would get that up grade for sure.

Tried Plasti Dip'ing it but the end result was not as sticky as the DX18 rubber.
I was thinking, as I was trying to roll the DX7s roller without clicking it, that it sure would be nice if the roller had some kind of rubberized coating.Shiny, chrome plated looks good, but does not (in my opinion) work well at all! It's WAY too slippery. If it had a rubberized coating, it would be SO much easier to roll - less downward pressure would be needed making it much less likely to accidently click. I haven't looked at the DX18, but I think what you are saying is that it DOES have a rubber coated roller. If that's so why don't they put that on the 7s and 8s? Surely the cost would be in the noise.

One more comment, then I'll get off my box. I have had the DX6i for a year and I have not had ANY problem with it's roller clicking when I roll it. Why didn't Spektrum just stay with the 6i design which worked fine? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:28 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,109 Posts
It the same design, the roll mech at one end and the clicking mech at the other.

The rubber version of the roller on the 18 is a big improvement.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
It the same design, the roll mech at one end and the clicking mech at the other.

The rubber version of the roller on the 18 is a big improvement.
Well, they changed something! Here's what Andy said earlier in this thread.

The DX7s/DX8 roller has an ENTIRELY different feel than the DX6i's.

It wouldn't have an ENTIRELY different feel if they didn't change something. The problem is by changing something, they made it worse!

It would sure be nice if Spektrum offered the rubber version of the roller as an option or an upgrade. I'd pay quite a bit to have one.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:48 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,109 Posts
By same I ment Rolling at one end and Clicking at the other end.

I no longer have my DX6i to recall the difference but yes there was a difference.

Agree on HH offering the rubber as an upgrade part.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
I was totally unaware of the rolling at one end and clicking on the other end. I want to thank Andy for bringing that to my attention and for you and the others as well.

I talked to some pilots out at the field this morning who had DX7s and DX8 transmitters. They told me at first the roller felt a bit too sensitive, but they soon got used to it and don't have any problem. Our fingers adapt to the situation.

I'm really looking forward to getting my DX8! Should be in my hands by next Thursday.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:42 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Andy Kunz, My Hitec Eclipse 7 cannot do 3 position flaps with offsets and differential ailerons at the same time. The new Eclipse 7S uses same programming as Eclipse 7 and can't do them simultaneously either.
Is the DX-7S able to do full 3-position flaps with offsets and differential ailerons without conflicts?
If Im understanding you correctly then Yes.The flap system and aileron differential are independent of each other.If you are meaning does it work when combined with flaperons then the answer is also Yes.The differential and the flap system will work together when they are combined on the same surfaces.When you say offsets Im assuming you mean elevator offset/compensation?

If this isnt exactly what you were asking please try to explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish in more detail.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:07 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
I'm flying indoor right now with my DX7s and I had to change the model of my plane every 5 min. (F3P turn, small plane, F3P, ect.).

To change the model of the plane I had to turn "off" my DX7s, turn it "on" with my finger pushing on the roller, change the model, click "back", etc. It's taking time.

Is there a way to change the model of the plane without turning off the DX7s?

Thanks!
Krycek W is offline Find More Posts by Krycek W
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
463 Posts
From the DX7s manual:

Model Select
The Model Select function is used to change to a different model
memory, typically when switching from the current model. You
can store up to 20 models in the DX7s model memory. Access
the model select function through the System Setup mode or
through Direct Model Access (pressing the Clear and Back
buttons at the same time). Direct Model Access allows you to
access the model select function at any time the main screen or
a telemetry screen is displayed.

When the TX is on, hold down the Clear and Back buttons at the same time, it goes to Model Select mode. You can then select the model, confirm the selection, and move on..
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
Thanks Fizzwater2. I didn't known
Krycek W is offline Find More Posts by Krycek W
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
463 Posts
No problem.. The dx8 does it, I figured the 7s probably did too. Handy feature!
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:42 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwater2 View Post
From the DX7s manual:

Model Select
The Model Select function is used to change to a different model
memory, typically when switching from the current model. You
can store up to 20 models in the DX7s model memory. Access
the model select function through the System Setup mode or
through Direct Model Access (pressing the Clear and Back
buttons at the same time). Direct Model Access allows you to
access the model select function at any time the main screen or
a telemetry screen is displayed.

When the TX is on, hold down the Clear and Back buttons at the same time, it goes to Model Select mode. You can then select the model, confirm the selection, and move on..

Wow! I have 2 Dx7s's and didn't know that! Had one sitting right next to me and gave it a try. Awesome!!!!!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
Georgia
United States, GA, Augusta
Joined Dec 2012
58 Posts
Dx7s price

After waiting a long time to purchase a dx7s, ( mainly $$), I found it for sale at Quantum Hobby online with no tax, no shipping and 10% off for the holidays!
Bottom line was $269.99 with three receivers! Ordered on 12/21 and it should be here by 12/24. Great price if you are in the market for one.
Dan mach is offline Find More Posts by Dan mach
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:01 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,109 Posts
Ever better priced if you don't need those extra receiver you can sell them to re-coupe some of the purchase money.

One of the receivers is hiding in the manual bag or bag with the manual.